Record Store Day Black Friday 2019: Info + Rumors

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ElevateMeLater, Sep 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I realize that this is all very confusing, but Live at Easy Street was advertised as an "RSD First" release, so there was a strong expectation that it would be released although no one was quite certain at the time. The unplugged album is advertised as an "RSD Exclusive", so the expectation is that it is indeed exclusive.

Erik B., Trace, Dreaddazzman and 2 others like this.
  2. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

I heard this, too. My local store said they expected to get a few more copies of Pearl Jam Unplugged in this coming week. Not a repress, just remaining stock. They haven’t heard of any rumors of a repress, either...

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Apparently only a fairly small percentage of download cards get redeemed and labels are finding it isn’t worth the effort and cost.

ginchopolis likes this.
  4. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

They made 13,000 copies of the Pearl Jam MTV Unplugged album, which was a pretty high amount for an RSD pressing anyway. Maybe even the highest amount I recall there ever being.

5. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Chuck Berry live LP is awesome. Great use of Kevin Gray and his awesome chain.

Tommyboy, Greenalishi and jgrillo like this.
  6. tubesandvinyl

Doors live LP is meh...

Not the best use of Bernie Grundman and his awesome chain.

Erik B. and Greenalishi like this.
  7. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I hear you about the Alice Cooper album. Thing is though, I don't care that New West in the US has since re-released the album again on diffferent colored vinyl. I just wanted a copy of the album that was affordable, and I was happy to get one. Especially as I missed out on the last European pressings (I forgot the company who did them off hand) from about ten years ago (the limited first run on red vinyl, and the second pressing on black). Since that one went out of print fast, and didn't get further repressing for years, it made that album scarce and out of my price range for a LONG time, until the last RSD day release. Technically, I still got an exclusive version, which is nice, but I consider that icing on the cake. Really, I just wanted an affordable copy I could have on vinyl. That same principle pretty much goes for just about all my RSD purchases. It's more about having the recording to listen to, and whatever colored variant...etc...is more of a secondary concern. Sure, if it's a limited run of something, that factors in to me wanting to get a copy - but not because of the collectabily value it might have, but just because I personally would like to have one, myself. In that regard, I'm all for things getting a later repressing, especially if it was something I missed out on getting the first time, or later regretted taking a pass on buying while I had the chance. That's good for everyone, except flippers, and screw them anyway.

I also just heard about that Euro Alice box set - not an RSD title - which from what I've read from a review of someone who got one, is pretty nice, and currently, reasonably priced. I'm tempted to get one, myself, but now that I have all the albums in it, anyway, will probably still pass on.

8. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Absolutely. I got a colored Patsy copy. I’m happy those that missed it are getting a repress. I hope to be so lucky with the Pearl Jam I missed out on at 5 different stores.

Cue Burn, .crystalised. and John D. like this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It is not live. Studio recordings only. But the album sounds most excellent, as you say.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  10. tubesandvinyl

Yes my mistake. Great studio work in London and Chicago

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Heck, I’m psyched Dirty Diamonds was repressed as another color vinyl variant. I missed it last year and hadn’t heard about the reissue until I read this discussion. Bam - ordered.

Rocketdog likes this.
  12. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

I'm the same as you on this topic. I'm a huge fan of AC and vinyl. I just wanted to complete my AC library with a copy of Dirty Diamonds and Dragontown. Amazing albums! I could care less if my copy is worth $150 or $10. I'm not ever selling them because I just want the music in this format. I' also glad you got a copy. It's a great pressing and fantastic music (IMO).

My point is this... I probably wouldn't have driven several hours in each direction to go to a RSD event if New West would've been more honest in April. I could've just ordered the red version like you after RSD rather than being tricked into thinking this blood splattered copy was going to my only opportunity in the near future (assuming more than a year). Like I previously stated, Limited Editions will NEVER remain limited as long as people are willing to buy them. Record companies are too greedy even if they had good intentions to keep them limited. The difference for me with Dirty Diamonds is that they rereleased it 4x in a 7 month span. At least have the decency to classify this as a RSD first release like they did with Dragontown for RSD BF. I did get an orange copy but knew the entire time that this will be rereleased for the masses (which is fantastic for AC fans). They probably won't make that mistake again though. Dragontown didn't sell well even though there are 1500 copies worldwide. Why? It was as rare and expensive to buy as Dirty Diamonds? The difference between it and Dirty Diamonds is the EXCLUSIVE tag verses FIRST RELEASE. The folks at eOne just got schooled on how this works. Market it as exclusive and it will sell out fast. You can rerelease it all you want because there aren't any rules.

I'm complaining a little here on principle. I don't like the dishonesty. In the end, I'm super pleased with my AC collection. They're not sealed. I play them all and the blood splattered Dirty Diamonds release is stunning. I also play my copy of Along Came a Spider clear vinyl as well as the Billion Dollar Babies green, orange and yellow swirled despite their increasing values. I'm not a flipper and could care less if they rerelease those too. I will enjoy them whatever the street value. I just hate the dishonesty. As you stated, screw the flippers that scoop these up based on the potential value but STOP HURTING THE REAL FANS. If it's going to be limited than tell us that up front. Because I'm a serious AC fan, I got to a record store and waited in line to ensure I got mine. Worse yet, some other real AC fans were gouged for the RSD version. Those poor people are kicking themselves now knowing they could've owned it for $19 a mere 7 months later. That's not right.

Erik B. and Rocketdog like this.
  13. Susan Gagne

Susan Gagne Fab4Fan since January 1964

For those interested in the Black Friday RSD Paul McCartney "Home Tonight"/"In a Hurry" 7" picture disk: it's in stock again at Bull Moose Music, both in the stores and for online purchase.

captouch likes this.
  14. Trace

Trace Senior Member

This exactly. "RSD First" and "RSD Exclusive" are two completely different animals.

But, my cousin's wife's friend's brother heard someone say they read somewhere on the internet someone's nephew's sister said she overheard in a record store that.....

Isn't that how these "truths" get started? :laugh:

15. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

They did 20K of Doors titles. Not even close

Rocketdog likes this.
  16. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

Are you sure on the Tweedy? There was a limited edition 2 record set of Warm/Warmer together, but I don't think the RSD version of Warmer was reissued.

17. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

That's correct. The Tweedy camp tried to accommodate the large numbers of fans who complained they missed out on the RSD release by packaging Warmer together with Warm in a (very) limited 2-LP set. The idea was to make the music available while making sure that the RSD version remained a unique release. But Tweedy got nothing but grief from collectors who whined that the "principle" of RSD Exclusive had been violated.

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  18. John D.

John D. Senior Member

If you are referring to the Doors Isle Of Wight, the pressing number is 11,000 worldwide according to Bull Moose info.

19. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The Elton John Moscow Concert RSD Title from last April was a RSD First, and it has taken awhile, but finally getting released on Vinyl(and CD) in late January(2020). Are the delays of RSD First Releases typically around 9 months later, or does it vary in how long of a wait time is for the Wider General Release? I was assuming 6 Months at the longest time for the 2nd(Non RSD) Release.

20. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Varies on the title I think and some still haven't been re-released (and maybe never will be? I suspect that's dependent on how the title sold on RSD).

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  21. Outstanding Black Friday release was The National’s Live At The Greek Theatre covering 2 2018 concerts.
    Unfortunately for all the vinyl elitists it was only available on cassette!
    Hoping that like Boxer In Brussels it will get a general CD release later on.
    Not sure whether the release format was meant as a dig at the elitists or whether they are taking it to the next level.

22. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Oh, I got my copy of DD on RSD, too. I think the reason it did better than Dragontown goes beyond the Exclusive versus RSD First thing, though. For one, Dirty Diamonds is a far better album, and secondly, as I pointed out in my prior thread, you could still come across the last pressings of Dragontown for a reasonable price, unlike like Dirty Diamonds. Both things made DD far more desireable.

I also tend to forget that my personal RSD experience happens to be a far more fortunate one than many others. I've got five stores within a 20 minute drive (at most) from my house, and the longest I've had to wait in line is usually only an hour, sometimes two, and I'm often within the first five people in line. I'm usually able to pick up just about everything I want, with lack of funds to get more being my only deterrent to not getting everything that maybe I'd like to. I also don't mind the wait in line, and look forward to seeing friends I might not often get the chance to, who I know will at least be there for the same reasons I am. The vibe at all the RSD's I've been to, which is all of them since it started, has never been anything but cool, with folks helping each other out, and a real sense of community among those attending.

Greenalishi, JRose and bajaed like this.
  23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

OK, just got a message from Ten Club saying "The MTV Unplugged LP was in such demand that the label decided to press more, and we now have some available in the Shop." Crazy.

They might not have pressed that many as it is one copy per member, but still. . . .

The other weird thing is that it seems Japan got a lot of copies. It is still available at retail.

Greenalishi likes this.
  24. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

Out of stock?

25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Can you elaborate? I heard the CD playing in the store on RSD and thought it sounded really good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.