Record Store Day RSD 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Not describing it as "exclusive" in the first place, if it wasn't actually going to be, would have stopped the flippers before they even started.

Grow Fins and PoeRaider like this.
  2. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

The RSD Exclusive category needs to go. This isn't the first time an exclusive has been re-pressed, and it won't be the last. It's deceptive marketing. The whole category just needs to get tossed out.

If Tweedy fans want to be able to listen to Warmer on vinyl without paying $80+ they should be able to grab a copy for 20 bucks. Being a huge Wilco/Tweedy fan, I have not yet been able to hear Warmer on vinyl, and I am more than thrilled about a repress.

Get rid of artificial scarcity in vinyl, period.

But yah I guess flippers are helping to chum the waters and make the day more successful. But man they disgust me.

3. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Changing cover art and vinyl color keeps your precious RSD Exclusive limited. Do that instead.

Grow Fins, Guitarded and PoeRaider like this.
  4. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Yep. They should have pressed it on color vinyl or did a 2 x 45 rpm RSD Set...then re-released it later on standard black/33.

Prophetzong likes this.
  5. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

I'm sorry but where is the argument here. The album was billed as exclusive to this day. It's not on colored vinyl, there is nothing different about a new pressing. Yes more people should be able to hear it and streaming and a CD release would cover that but a lot of super Wilco/Tweedy fans were led to believe this was the only way to acquire this album on vinyl and they paid the premium for that right after not getting one that day. The price of the record reflects the scarcity of owning a rare record that is a major release. So now fans that paid for that exclusive vinyl got screwed. There is a category in RSD that is for this very thing. A RSD first release tells you that it will be available later. So fans were lied to and that is just a crappy thing to do.

VinylMario, Vinyl_Blues, DaK and 4 others like this.
  6. Prophetzong

I’m interested in hearing the Jeff Tweedy Warmer . I’ll listen to it. If I like it I might buy it on vinyl or cd . RSD is about hype. Apparently it’s working.

PoeRaider likes this.
  7. Prophetzong

The only ones who paid a premium are guys like me who paid a flipper to get my BOTT lp. I’m saying if demand is great just do it. If demand is normal then don’t repress it. There is your “ Exclusive “ .

PoeRaider likes this.
  8. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Would you have paid that premium price if Sony announced this would be rereleased in July? If I knew for sure that the Dylan test pressing was only gonna come out once then I would cough up a $100 easily for the right to own this on vinyl if I missed out on it. Luckily I didn't but that album is one of my favorites of all time and that price would be worth it to me. Now if I paid a hundred and then they said sike, just kidding, here's another pressing that is exactly the same, I would be pissed.

Grow Fins and sonofjim like this.
  9. Prophetzong

There is no guarantee that most “ first “ releases are automatically getting a repress.

10. Prophetzong

If I knew how good this record was. YES, I would have. It’s the non-fill that ticks me off. I’m not bothered by a reissue.

Buy while you can. Especially BOTT. This record is an exception. Every Dylan fan and new fans deserve to have it. If they were to reissue it and do a better pressing job I’m absolutely buying it again.

Sony owes it to everyone to repress this because of their carelessness on the RSD pressing on a treasure.

Sadly I don’t see this being reissued.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Imagine70 likes this.
  11. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

You have more money than me then. If I knew that I could get the exact same album on vinyl if I waited a few months then I would save $80. But I get it, if you have to have it you have to have it. Doesn't change the fact it's false advertising.

Grow Fins likes this.
  12. Prophetzong

False advertising is not being able to replace a defective press. Not a reissue.
    As far as believing something is exclusive, that ship sailed long ago.

How about the RSD of the Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium or Vinyl Me Please issue of Gorrillaz - Demon Days.

There are no exclusives. Demand dictates.

13. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Gorillaz Demon Days was a exclusive on red vinyl and was never promised not to be reissued by someone else and Stadium Arcadium as I understand it was selling leftover stock from the original run. Neither the Dylan release or Warmer are reissues and Warmer is being released in the same way as it came out on Record Store Day and that is false advertising.

Grow Fins likes this.
  14. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Not a big blues fan either but you're gonna love this one! Great songs with best R&B band in the world.

monomusic and Prophetzong like this.
  15. Prophetzong

You understand wrong. Stadium Arcadium was reissued again after RSD. Not leftovers. RSD limited.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

Demon Days was exclusive to Vinyl Me please. ( for a very short period and was hyped as such)
    Then reissued soon after. Demand dictated that one too.

Gorillaz – Demon Days // Vinyl Me, Please [Colored Vinyl] | The Limited Press

Nothing exclusive anymore. And I’m glad. Record fans should get what they want.

16. IFP

IFP Forum Resident

Regarding false advertising:
    Words matter, and they should be treated as such, but apparently some are ready to just let meaning fall by the wayside. Let's hope this "whatever" attitude never creeps into the legal system or we're all screwed.
    "Yes, I know I promised you exclusive rights, but... ya know... ehhh... demand..." <shrug>

17. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

I think I understand fine. The Stadium Arcadium RSD were leftovers of the original 2007 press. You have the wrong link.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

Again the Gorillaz was and is still exclusive to Vinyl Me Please. It was on red vinyl the reissue wasn't. What was promised was a red vinyl exclusive to VMP and that still stands.

Warmer situation is totally different.

18. Prophetzong

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  19. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Nobody here is saying they shouldn't! I'm not sure who you're arguing with. The only thing people are objecting to as far as I can see is something being dishonestly described as exclusive which leads directly to people needlessly paying way over the odds to get it. How can you possibly not agree that this is wrong?

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Vinyl_Blues, Grow Fins and ndoheny like this.
  20. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

I understand all that. I think we are saying different things.

21. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

This Warmer things bucks me cause its just about advertising and attention in the media. Oh he's releasing a whole album just for RSD on vinyl, exclusively, because he likes vinyl and RSD so much, wow..... and then there is a regular release. That's just plain stupid. Release it regularly and that's it.

Anyway did anyone listen to the Al Green Let's Stay Together Japan pressing, who did the remastering and how does it sound?

Phil Tate likes this.
  22. Prophetzong

Maybe. “ Exclusive” should not mean first in line gets a copy of whatever they want and can turn around and flip it.

If someone is willing to show up to a record store on RSD then they should be able to get one of the desirable records without going home empty handed.

I realize record stores are only able to get so many copies. Why not allow stores to let customers reserve one or two records in advance.

If you want to wait in line for a bunch of lps, fine. But for just the one you actually want is ridiculous.

23. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I always thought it would be a "no brainer" for an exclusive to be reissued if there was demand for it. Why should the flippers reap the benefit of in demand product as opposed to the label and or creator of the music? Anyone that owns the RSD version still has the first pressing, and there will probably be changes to the upcoming release. Now it would be really amusing if the upcoming release featured more songs and colored vinyl. Anyway, I'm glad to hear the news of a future vinyl reissue, I missed it on the day.

I have Matthew Sweet's Wicked System Of Things exclusive from BFRSD 18, and I think it's almost a shame that it hasn't been reissued so more can hear it.

Neonbeam and Prophetzong like this.
  24. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

And I agree that, per your first line, exclusivity leads to market predators, but exclusivity is defined from the perspective of the one making it exclusive and not the intentions of the one receiving it.

If some one wants to wait in line for ONE record, you think that is ridiculous? Fine. Your definitions are not gospel. I submit: Nothing ridiculous in and of that act-if someone is foregoing food for their family (unlikely but I guess possible) for a record or stack of records, I say THAT'S ridiculous. A "bunch of lps" is "fine"-your constructing the parameters of what should be allowed or accepted and such to fit your narrative. BTW, what is the magic cut-off number r when you do not feel ridicule for someone standing in line?

And I agree with your general premise that if folks will buy a record, print the damned record. BUT, if it is advertised as "exclusive" then, unfortunately, it SHOULD be just that, exclusive. That's a promise nd it should be kept. Otherwise, someone has committed false advertising. Whether the underlying theory is correct, that absolute exclusives versus "spiffied up" firsts "example: the Allman Brothers release this RSD-I missed and will just by the subsequent release without the glow poster instead of dropping two C notes for the scalpers) are not the best idea. doesn't change the fact that someone who really wants that album for themselves and not for profit is entitled to honesty from the industry. And while we are at at, getting a damaged record on RSD with no replacement option is NT false advertising, UNLESS the releasing entity stated something to the effect that: "We guarantee that even though this is an exclusive that damaged records may be replaced."

Grow Fins likes this.
  25. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Not to derail your question or this thread, but I want Al Green fans to know that the VMP release of this months Al Green "Call Me " is not only the best I've heard it , but the best I've heard any Al Green sound.Carry On.....

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.