Record Store Day 2020 - "RSD Drops" Aug 29/Sep 26/Oct 24

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jan 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

I happened to be in a record store on Tuesday. Overheard three workers (owners?) putting together their order for RSD. Found it interesting that for nearly every title they were planning on ordering, they were only ordering one or two copies.

Is that surprising, or about what people here would expect?

2. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

That’s about what I expect now, especially considering the events of the past few days. And if I was one of them, why would I want to spend thousands of dollars on product and get myself in a hole when people may not turn out? It’s another reason why they should consider postponing it, tbh.

3. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

The stores can just order what they want and keep in under lock and key and just have a big RSD Black Friday 2020 sale.Let the anticipation build for a few months :)
    But seriously i don't think they will have it.Much bigger things than Record Store Day have already been canceled.RSD is way down on the list of importance right now.

4. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

If they are just ordering this past week , I am shocked they are ordering anything, they are probably just protecting themselves , just in the billion to one case , this thing happens

5. radickeyfan

this is going to be happening across the country , in many more places -very soon

c-eling likes this.
  6. radickeyfan

can you imagine , you are a store , you order anywhere from 10K to 100k off this stuff, they ship it to you , you pay for it COD , then they tell you , you can not sell it for , eh 60 days or so .....

troggy likes this.
  7. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Monster,
    Glad to see you posting again here and thank you for your query. As a Charlestonian and loyal Monster customer, I plan to be there and in line early to enjoy RSD. Also, we need to support our local stores as our economy is going to be taking a big hit, and will impact all of us. Your store is large, clean, and friendly, so I’ll be there. See y’all on Saturday April 18!

uzn007 and Gavaxeman like this.
  8. radickeyfan

There is no way they are going to be able to go ahead with this.
    How is it fair to stores that are not even allowed to open , and have been closed by their local/state government

RSD is all about a level playing field for Indie stores, it is NOT happening

Munros1969 likes this.
  9. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I’m not sure why everyone that understands the meaning of the word “pandemic” doesn’t agree that RSD can and should be postponed at this point.

uzn007 and Echoes Myron like this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Michigan just announced it tonight, at least for three weeks.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Is Record Store Day 2020 About to Be Postponed?

One source said the new RSD date is June 20th before yanking the tweet. Is 13 weeks enough?

uzn007 likes this.
  12. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Huh? We didn’t even get access to orders until the official list came out, so we had to get orders ready between then and today’s (March 12) deadline. Literally every single RSD participant would have been assembling their orders on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Glass Candy likes this.
  13. radickeyfan

The Big Guys have orders placed on the Big Items , 2 weeks to a month ago

14. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

What and who are you talking about?

15. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

That only makes sense if you think people from overseas or out of state travel to these small retail shops for this event.

The issue with this particular virus is not that it is any more serious than the normal flu in terms of mortality or symptoms, the vast majority of people who develop symptoms will feel rough for a week, but that for those who are vulnerable there is no vaccine and they may require a hospital bed - so the idea is to slow the rate of spread enough that there are always enough beds.

Back to RSD - any sensible precautions will prevent the spread. Don't shake hands with others in the queue, people who have cold/flu symptoms should not attend, people who cough/sneeze should cover their mouths, and the last RSD specific precaution could be that a member of staff squirts some hand sanitizer into your hand as you leave the shop. More draconian measures could be that the have a thermometer gun and anyone with a temp is asked to leave the queue.

Life must go on, there will be more lives at risk from economies crashing.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  16. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

My record store did take orders for RSD normally yesterday.

17. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

I don't see why it should go ahead but for this year make it mail or online order. Most retailers will already do that. If they don't have an online system people could mail in their requests and the stores would find a way to make it work. It would still be supporting the smaller shops and instead of extra staff on the day they can handle shipping orders. Of course that all falls down if the postal system is affected. Yes it's not ideal but the businesses need the additional custom that RSD generates.

sparkmeister likes this.
  18. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

I feel sorry for the whole ebay flippers who are already taking preorders for April 18th. NOT.

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

This a very premature thought, will they warehouse all the RSD stock or make stores sit on the stock for more than a month?

20. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Well, the stores don't sit on stock, they get them delivered (some days before the RSD). So the ones who be warehousing RSD stock will be the labels.

But flippers who don't have the goods in hand when putting them up for preorders (and hope to obtain it by April 18th) who won't be able to do so - they will be f*ucked for violation of eBay sales terms. And that's a good thing.

21. Zapruder

I don’t see how, distributors didn’t even start listing the items until after the list was announced. Please don’t spread false information on this forum no matter how much you want it to be true.

22. Zapruder

Just got word that it’s officially been postponed until June.

23. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Yep it's official:

Record Store Day
    5 mins ·
    Record Store Day is a worldwide event celebrating record stores and their place in the community. In the interest of being good members of those local, national and worldwide communities, we've decided to move the date of Record Store Day 2020 to JUNE 20.

The basic plan is to shift everything to that date, but there are a lot of people and things involved with a worldwide event like this, and a lot of moving pieces, so be nice to your record store if they don't have an immediate answer to your questions. We're all working on, well, everything.

Wash your hands. Take care. We want everyone to be happy, healthy and looking forward to getting together for the party. #RSD20 #RSDJUNE20

Giorgio, Gavaxeman, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  24. Bartolo Mascarello

Bartolo Mascarello Forum Resident

25. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.