Record Store Day 2020 - "RSD Drops" Aug 29/Sep 26/Oct 24

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jan 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Colorado Springs, Independent Records. All according to the manager of the main store who I’m friends with. And one of the owners was there and didn’t dispute what he said.

2. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Closed for good? That's it? I find it hard (though not impossible) to believe that they will just pack the whole organization in after all these years. No plans for reorganization or comeback when this hysteria finally dies down?

I have been trying today to contact cats who are connected to the store to see what the actual current state of plan is for that organization and what may develop in time.

3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That’s what Shawn told me an hour before they closed, and John and the other younger guy who I don’t know by name were there when he told me and then they all left at the same time (and they sure didn’t look happy...some of them have been there ten or more years, Shawn 22 years and he’s a great guy) so I’m guessing everyone was called in for the bad news.

I have seen signs they were in trouble. They had to sell the Annex building a while back and then the buyer backed out and they reopened it, but an employee told me the owner needed the cash. Their inventory has really been dwindling and they only had a few rows of “Just Arrived” used vinyl the day I was in when five months ago that entire row was all new arrivals. And I have even mentioned here the math can’t be working with RSD, at least there. Have you seen the rows and rows of leftover RSD product they have accumulated over the years? Dead inventory they had to pay for and it’s always on sale and it doesn’t seem to sell. I know a lot about retail and I’ve seen the signs the last few months of a business being run without enough capitalization. And they don’t, imo, order efficiently. Ten copies of some band I’ve never heard of and they just sit, but then obvious other new releases where there is one copy or none at all, so I end up buying 95% of new releases from Amazon when I would prefer to support them. I wasn’t surprised to hear the news, but who knows, maybe something will work out. But they, like hundreds of other mom and pops, cannot pay expenses and rent on businesses that will not be generating any income. Even Disney had to issue six billion in bonds last week. It’s going to get ugly out there, and the independent record store, barely profitable anyway, is going to be far smaller if this lasts more than a few weeks imo.

I did tell them about the government program where if the employees are still paid, they can get an SBA loan through the bailout but like when they made funds available during the housing crisis, it was so hard to get that almost no one actually got help. As a business owner I’m not even going to try as I’m sure there would just be too much red tape unless you are an airline or some other large corp, but he was going to let the owners know.

nosliw likes this.
  4. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I don't know anything about this particular store, but I don't find it hard to believe at all that privately-owned businesses are deciding to pack it in. The owners may be at a point where they don't really need the income to survive, so they decide to retire (or just close that one business if it's not their sole source of income), or they may decide to look for other sources of income because their businesses can't survive 2 or 3 months (at least) of uncertain cash flow.

Seems to me that after "touring musician", "small, independent retail store" is one of the worst businesses to be in right now.

nosliw likes this.
  5. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I’m not gonna claim to be the first to ever do egg vinyl, but apparently I wasn’t the last either…

[​IMG]

nosliw, Grow Fins, Man at C&A and 3 others like this.
  6. Nick Dominic

Nick Dominic Well-Known Member

at the end of the day it helps the indie record stores big time..yes there is a greed part of it from the label standpoint, but there will always be that no matter what...

Greenalishi likes this.
  7. Nick Dominic

8. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I think they should put the kibosh on RSD for 2020. Perhaps there's a chance to hold the Black Friday version of the day but I am not so optimistic that this situation will be done before the end of summer. Buying records won't be a top priority while everyone's finances are in flux.
    This coming from a RSD supporter and someone who still has a job.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    nosliw, The Trinity, Tommyboy and 7 others like this.
  9. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

Agreed on just one for the year, but maybe the weekend after Labour Day. I would think the bulk of this stuff has been pressed already and is sitting in warehouses. If RSD doesn't happen, they could do a series of Indie Only release Fridays.

10. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I think that it would be a great idea to release a few 2020 RSD Titles on a once per week basis once Stores can open again(assuming there is containment and not a severe 2nd Wave of people infected with Covid-19 in the Fall, which is predicted as a potential outcome-at least in the US), as it would get people who only visit a Record Store a few times per year(like both RSD and BF-RSD), to show up once per week to buy any of the RSD Titles that interested them, and without spending $200-$500(or higher) all on RSD Titles on one day, if they buy 1-3 Titles visiting once every week, people might spend more money at Record Stores on some of those visits to buy some of their other Non RSD Releases(or CDs, if the Record Store also sells CDs).

Of course, there will be releases on certain weeks, that might not interest some people, so they will not visit every week, but spreading out buying RSD Titles might get some people to buy more RSD Titles(and maybe other Vinyl Records and CDs whether New Releases or Older Stock that is sold by the Record Store one visits). I know that I had to discipline myself to set a limit on how much to spend on RSD and place a priority on my most wanted 6-10 RSD Titles, then I just try to buy a few other Titles at a later time.

Defrance, Gavaxeman and Sean like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I'd be up for printed stock being released in dribs and drabs. There were several titles for April/June 2020 that I was interested in. Going to my local record store haunt every week (or every couple of weeks) for RSD releases is fine. I visit my local record store (or used to) just as often anyways.

Defrance and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  12. backeast

backeast Forum Resident

Many stores don’t get everything they order for RSD. Spreading out the disappointment isn’t going to help. Keep it one big event.

jlf likes this.
  13. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'd prefer mine scrambled but I'm not sure how that'd sound.

giantleech likes this.
  14. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Here's another thing - how much will a store afford to buy at this point if the June date holds? Distributors aren't banks are going to be pretty tight with credit limits once we get to other side of this (I work for a large book distributor and can attest to this personally). If they're not able to sell thru the vast majority of the vinyl they bring in for RSD, it could mean their demise instead of savior.

Giorgio likes this.
  15. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Great observation. Plus we're on a 2-week 'delay' between onset and reporting.

Giorgio and uzn007 like this.
  16. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

...and China was on a ??-week 'delay' between onset and reporting too FWIK.

MrSka57 likes this.
  17. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Let’s face it... it will be a miracle if an in person RSD happens June 20.
    I assume all businesses are working on mail delivery services and this will have to move online... somehow...

Edit. If they aren’t, they will go under. Plain and simple.

Nick Dominic and Man at C&A like this.
  18. Nick Dominic

RSD wont happen this year IMHO..the distro and/or labels are siting on stock they i bet,want to move asap. I am guessing they start to sell it piece meal online here soon.

Sean, JRose and kouzie like this.
  19. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Given the impact the virus has had in New York, i would say zero chance of any big public events in next six months ... world wide infection doubled in last week alone

Nick Dominic and sonofjim like this.
  20. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I will fully admit that I thoroughly underestimated the impact of this virus. I think something like RSD has to be seen as very low priority. The whole point is getting lots of people together in small local stores to spend money on physical media.

It’s the antithesis of what should be happening right now with the need for social distancing and so many people unemployed. I enjoy RSD as much as anyone. I think it should just officially be called off this year. So many more important things already have been.

21. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

This won't be happening in NY or NJ in June. Not to mention, supply chains are beginning to prioritize needed items (as much as we need our music...)

Tommyboy and jlf like this.
  22. It's being talked about. Possibly moving the titles for RSD to RSD Black Friday. We'll see.

Sean and jlf like this.
  23. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

At this point this makes the most sense to me, especially since, if vinyl pressing plants are going to stay closed during this, records won’t be pressed in time to be released for Black Friday. But at that point, we’ll have to see how many of those releases, at labels’ behest, go the Post Malone route and become indie exclusive releases.

24. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

My recordstore said there will be a new list or more items.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

If customers have a vice grip on disposable money June 20th, indie stores delaying the "LP overhead" expense until November might be doing everyone a favor. Indie Store will know where they stand with financial well being and rent.

Indie store may plan their year around it, but it works best when stores are busy and people buy higher markup other items in the store in a mob mentality.

Plus have it on a Saturday, not Friday in November. Canadiens/Brits and beyond only understand "Black Friday" as their version of Boxing Day(Dec 26th). It gets lost in the media shuffle of Walmart/shoe store stampede videos.

waaguirr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.