Record Store Day "RSD" April 2018 Releases*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwd, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I think the US list price was $81.98 (or ~$105CDN). You got an amazing deal.

2. heybulldog

heybulldog Well-Known Member

If anyone has a lead on Ella Fitzgerald ‘Ella at Zardi’s’ please let me know. Local stores were expecting it and have now been told it isn’t arriving.

3. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

Gentle paper sleeves are few and far between. Get a foreign object on the disc and the damage can be much worse that a plastic or plastic coated inner.

In Australia plastic inners were the norm, in UK plastic inners inside paper provided the best protection. In both cases no packaging scuffs.
    Opening a US import and checking for scuffs was an important consideration - one scuff too deep or in the wrong place caused aural disappointment. I've a few albums that are marred by scuffing between manufacturing and receipt. Still happens when paper inners are used.

At one point in time WEA Records in Australia moved to paper inners which included a brief note how by using paper sleeves it was providing a packaging that allowed it to present a product that used world's best practise (my paraphrasing). Not sure I agreed with that sentiment.

4. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

I can’t understand policy RSD. Some store gets xy copy of something, and some store got nothing. And what we have know. Some store/ country have xy copy, and others have 0 copy
    and some people must buy on ebay, bcs of this

Madness

5. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

The American Dreamer album was the find of the lot for me. Very good package and great music

peace and love✌Dave

Tom Favata likes this.
  6. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

No, just spelling, LUL!

7. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Agreed. I had a similar infuriating couple of e-mails from a guy at Beggers Banquet about the week's wait and ordering from them online. Ridiculous.

I'm not trying to spin All Our Yesterdays here, but what happened to the simple days of ringing a shop, telling them what you wanted, then quoting your card number? Seems places are wanting you to do everything yourselves, meaning they have minimal work to actually do. Is the fact I'm doing your job mean I get part of your wages or get things cheaper?

Mr Angry, of Sheffield.

8. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Just FYI, this was a RSD First Release, so it will get a wider release at some point -- probably within a few months. I am impatient and want it NOW, but I won't pay what is being asked on eBay or Discogs!

heybulldog and johnnybrum like this.
  9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

So I have been enjoying a lot of great music this week that I picked up last weekend...

Soundgarden - awesome green splattered 2LP set of their A Sides...did not own any of their stuff on vinyl, only CD, so this was a great choice. The sound is very good if not excellent and all one has to do to confirm, is crank up "Rusty Cage" and let it rip!

David Bowie - Blackout...over all very happy with this, worth having for the version of 'What In The World" IMO...my only issue, is I'm not crazy about the songs from Ziggy, have heard better live than this, but not bad though...

Bowie - 1st album...absolutely love this! Blue vinyl mono/Red vinyl stereo...listened to the mono version and fantastic sound and pressing, stereo version looks just as good. If one does not know this album, I would proceed with caution. I had this when it was first released, so I grew up with it. It is more corky late 60's sounding English pop with some what of a poppy psych feel at times. Really cool album! (of note, on the back shrink, says made in Czech Republic, which scared me at first, because any vinyl I have heard that was pressed over there, sounds like crap. Vinyl and cover says made in EU, and sounds great!

The End - Introspective/Retrospective...if unfamiliar with this, it is a psychedelic album from 1969, produced by Bill Wyman. This is hands down one of my favorite psych albums of all time and the sound quality is excellent! Retrospective is the 2nd LP of unreleased stuff, have not listened to yet, but will today. Pressed on white translucent vinyl. Highly recommended and got this for $31, fantastic price.

Tom Waits - Brawlers (got the other 2 as well) heard a lot of issues with this, but sounds like the problems of wrong colors pressed incorrectly on the wrong titles and sound issues were more over seas...got lucky as all of mine are correct and nice and flat. The sound quality on Brawlers exceeded my expectations, very happy and what a bad as$ album it is. Will listen to the other two later this week. I almost sold these for what I paid, so glad I did not.

Blue Oyster Cult - Rarities Vol 2...one of my favorite bands and since I got Vol 1 last year, this was a must. Wow! The sound is excellent and the music smokes big time! Some cool out takes from Agents of Fortune, Spectres, unreleased songs from the Teachers soundtrack, as well as some cool live songs. This was worth buying just for the demo version of Buck's "Don't Fear The Reaper, amazing and I like it better than the original. (got lucky and got one of the 100 autographed Golden Tickets).

Already gave feedback on Baby Huey and Neil Young earlier...also got lucky and got a copy of The Groundhogs - Scratching The Surface (500 made) off of Ebay Sunday morning at the normal price of $26, so on the way. And going to pick up The Stones - Satanic tomorrow from a local store that had one copy left for $39, so snagged that one as well.

Gave feedback on the Grant Green titles on that specific thread, but those are both incredible!

Only title I did not get that I wanted, was The Dead - Fillmore West, I even had it in my hands three different times and put it back. Oh well...

Nice reading everyone's finds as well! I realize that having titles you really want, makes or breaks a particular RSD, well this one did both for me if you know what I mean...

Grow Fins, troggy and Rekkerds like this.
  10. Andy Smith

Of the many great things about RSD, most of all I love the way local shops get into what is fast become a festival atmosphere on the day. After I'd been home and grabbed a couple of hours sleep, I headed into the city centre to see what was happening. A record shop called Record Junkee had acts on, and this fella wasn't bad at all. I had to leave before the end of his set as I was on timed-parking, but I saw enough to impress and to buy tix for his new EP launch at a rather nice little coffee house near the cathedral tomorrow night.

'Kid Controversial' is a rubbish name though....

scotti likes this.
  11. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I thought I was done for the season but got pulled back in on an auction on the Ramones Sundragon Sessions. Now for real I'm really really done buying records this week.

12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Only title I forgot to mention was Pink Floyd - Piper mono...spectacular sound! Just wish they would have done the back cover authentic like the original...$22 was a steal, but would have paid an extra $5 if the back cover was done properly...

13. Beaneydave

It’s funny but I thought RSD was Saturday and for me I was back Sunday,Monday & Tuesday too!!

peace and love✌Dave

izombie73 and Wired4Fun like this.
  14. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Sigh* I was tired. Leave me alone LOL

15. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I believe record stores order what they feel will sell. That's what I was once told. Blame your record store owner. haha

Beaneydave likes this.
  16. Beaneydave

That’s true for the UK too. I asked the question.

peace and love✌Dave

17. Andy Smith

I haven't forgotten this post. Been working all week, and have had 'grandchildren' evenings which haven't left a lot of time to look at or play my new stuff. The P.R.O album is way down the pile but I will look when I get home - honest!!

B. Bu Po likes this.
  18. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Am I really the only one who got the Laser Pace album? I note it's had less than two mentions on this forum, which is odd because it would appeal to many here - an obscure 1974 avant-jazz-rock sci-fi (ish) album on John Fahey's Takoma label, with a brilliant lead guitarist/singer/songwriter who also happens to be a woman.

Buy, buy buy:

19. Beaneydave

guitarist/singer/songwriter who also happens to be a woman.Good god they’ll want to vote next!!!

;)

peace and love✌Dave

20. Andy Smith

No good will come of it. Just sayin'.....

Beaneydave likes this.
  21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think this is a good idea myself! I guess the point is that they want the stock to be sold in store at retail cost, not as inflated ebay cost. Now you could get a shop who opened on Saturday and had half their stock being sold on ebay straight away before any customers walked in the store. So to keep the whole thing honest if they have a week embargo and then all the shops list their stock then people are less likely to be ripped off.

Additionally the basic point and premise of RSD is to get people to use their local shops on a regular basis. Now if you could just order online you may never step foot in the shop ever, just buy online once a year. But if you have to go in you may think 'actually this shop is pretty cool' and start going in once a month or whatever. So having a week embargo helps this as it forces people into the shops more than it would if they just had to wait a day.

Thirdly for all sorts of reasons not everyone can get to the store on the Saturday so it's good to have some extra time to pick the things up. I often pop into a shop on Monday and buy a few things.

There are, imo, some serious issues with RSD (the flipping, the crap the majors punp out, the price in the UK) but the week embargo is not one of them.

Beaneydave and hamicle like this.
  22. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

That isn't always the case. The couple shops near me will order titles that they know will sell (sometimes exponentially more than the RSD pressing!) and they will either be shorted even what they ordered, or get none at all from their distributor. One shop stopped participating in carrying the new RSD titles, with this being one reason.

There was no reason a true independent shop like one near me gets no copies, but a chain like Newbury Comics will get a lot of copies.

23. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

there is definitely a reason, just not one that those not living near one of those stores would really care about or necessarily think is valid.

24. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Not necessarily. There are certain things stores get they have no interest in receiving, other items they're required to order whether they want them or not, and (often) many hot-ticket things they request that they don't receive. Most stores sweat bullets not knowing what's going to be in those boxes when they start to arrive--used to be (and still might) that RSD would embargo them from even opening their shipments until the day before.

The haha was unnecessary.

25. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

They'll make a mess of their guitars when it's their lady times! It's madness!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.