Record Store Day...What nonsense!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by disraeli, Apr 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Huh?

Slick Willie likes this.
  2. Not selling older PG titles is a bit different than carrying one that has unreleased tracks and some different mixes. If, in fact, you carried one of them and it didn’t sell today, st the very least put it up on line for sale vs. flippers. I’m constantly at Amoeba and Rasputin’s looking for stuff (at least twice a month) I don’t have. Judging how a “new” title will sell based on the current back catalog in vinyl sales only tells you that the older vinyl titles are already owned by your core customers.

For example, at Rasputin’s I was told that they never know what titles they are going to be shipped and they just dump them out there.

3. I don’t think folks expect them to be stocked in mass quantity but at least to stock one or two titles each of the same album would be reasonable.

4. Indeed, there’s also quite a few Peter Gabriel “Rated PG” picture discs up there as well at $45-75.

5. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

I really enjoyed RSD today. Love the energy in the stores, the indies that I had visited were all doing well, one owner told he was at 88% goal in store sales revenue with seven hours ahead of him.

Meeting old friends was also a delight but I did notice thar the inventory count for most titles were very limited. Seems each store maybe got two or 3 of a specific title this year. Of course they have no control in what they receive but all of the owners said they wished they had more control in this matter.

As for my purchases I did very well, just three titles were elusive and at my last indie I found a Pink Floyd mono of ….Secretes.

The MEZ and fishyboots like this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I don't suppose any enterprising record store got any extra advertising support from...eBay...? :eek:

"eBay supports your local record store...come help us run it out of business...!" :laugh:

7. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

With gasoline in California approaching $4 a gallon sitting at home and paying double the price on Ebay might be just a bit more expensive or almost a wash....unless you took the BART.
    To me $25 for an LP in 2019 is like me paying $5.99 for an album back in 1977...of course I am in charge of my allowance now...lol. If I have to waste it on gas I might as well "waste" it on some art. Of course I am fortunate in that I am blessed with a decent job. To me vinyl is sort of a special edition version of an album that can be found more economically on a cd if expenses are tight.
    Yes sometimes the invisible hand of capitalism can make life much more convenient...that click on the buy it now button can save a lot of time and headaches.
    You are describing the defunct Conehead RSD strategy, which has been obsolete for quite some time...;)

fishcane and Congee99 like this.
  8. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Yeah, but can you flip any of their Rides on Ebay?:laugh:

lightbulb likes this.
  9. True about the price and we have to figure in inflation as well. I enjoy the shopping but, if the store isn't going to carry a fair selection of RSD exclusives, I'm more than willing to make the jaunt. I just hate to waste my time.

10. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I went to my local indie store as I always do on RSD or otherwise. The place was hopping!

Say what you will about the lines, releases, the flippers, or whatever, it increases traffic to these places that we want to keep thriving.

Rickchick, uzn007 and The MEZ like this.
  11. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Some people aren't very adept at getting jokes.

uzn007 likes this.
  12. TheSeldomSeenKid

Except Black Friday has now become Black Thursday at 6:00pm for most Major Retail Stores. I actually liked it when the hours started at Midnight, since I live Vampire Hours(or Musician Hours), but I really do not shop that Thursday or Friday anyways, except Friday Evening to get a few Blu-Ray Movies on Sales. Do most of my shopping for others on Amazon except for certain unique items I like to buy at times, but I do not start my Shopping until December 22nd-23rd, being a typical male.

13. Indeed, if the couple of places I went to had this type of traffic every day, we wouldn't have to worry about them closing.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  14. TheSeldomSeenKid

Exactly right, as I started to realize every time I sell an item here or elsewhere, it takes time to pack the item and drive to the Post Office(I usually mail out Items I sold within one day of getting payment in most cases, except rare exceptions like weather related or an unusual busy day, but I try to provide Excellent Service as a Seller here and elsewhere).

Anyways, I do not even add to my Selling Cost the Packing Material and Time for packing the item well and drop off at the Post Office(which often requires waiting in line for 10-20 minutes), as I figure other Sellers here do the same thing and appreciate their extra time and service.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  15. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

[​IMG]RSD by Ken Johnson, on Flickr[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    RSD

Amazing qty (30-50) still available at Forever Young in TX at 2:00pm

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    greelywinger, DK Pete and wayneklein like this.
  16. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Can a Gort please combine these 1000 threads into one mega-thread?

troggy likes this.
  17. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Forever Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young...

KenJ and The MEZ like this.
  18. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I agree, not many live near a record store, so the flippers convert RSD to an online market to serve a wider audience.

I did RSD once, and for at least the start of the day it was mostly flippers, forcing the store owners to make up and enforce quantity rules.

Mazzy likes this.
  19. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

You just described a big part of the problem. Nameless and faceless labels/distributors don't have to deal with the record buying public on RSD, but the local shop owners do. My local record store owner, whom I've known for many years, has more than one tale of customers giving him a hard time about what did/did not come in for RSD. He orders multiple copies of what he thinks will sell, but has no guarantee whatsoever as to what he gets. Or how many.

If he gets 3 copies of something that he knows will be in demand, he's bummed b/c he knows he'll be hearing from folks. It can be a tough row to hoe for the indie store owner at times.

wayneklein and Lemon Curry like this.
  20. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Redundant and irrelevant material with ridiculously high prices for hipster and sheepish people.
    I have zero interest in RSD

Lyndon Perry likes this.
  21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yep — it's extortionate! I spent a fortune.

22. disraeli

disraeli Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting perspective.

Anyone else work or own a record store reading this?

It would be really interesting for us all to know how RSD works and is it worth all the fuss.

Do the numbers really work after taking into account all the titles you’re potentially stuck with?

Thanks.

23. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

By all accounts the Dylan pressings are hit and miss. Seems plenty are warped for starters.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I rather enjoy it.

25. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

You're not missing anything, it is nonsense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.