Record store pet peeves?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by rain_king, Jul 6, 2022.

1. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I hate that the Country section tends to be a catch all of stuff the employees didn't know how to file. "Peggy Lee? I don't know. Put it in the country section."

eflatminor and MrSka57 like this.
  2. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

I'll raise you Lesley Gore in the Jazz section.

cwitt1980 and clhboa like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Mine are simple:

* Stores that don't put prices on the albums--you have to take them to the front to find out how much they are going to charge
    * Stores without bargain bins, or who think $3-4 is a bargain bin.

cwitt1980, astro70 and BornToBoogie like this.
  4. As others have said excessively loud music that makes it hard to focus on the music you want to buy and record bins that are on the floor. My knees can’t take it for long so I don’t even bother.

astro70 likes this.
  5. BornToBoogie

BornToBoogie Forum Resident

Yep. Drives me mad.
    Price is often so high your jaw hits the ground and you shuffle back to replace the album.

6. A-Tone

A-Tone Forum Resident

Yeah, music playing too loud, and generally grumpy ungrateful staff used to boil my piss. Also, shops being so cold in winter you could see your breath in them.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023 at 9:34 AM
  7. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

The only thing worse than issues with record stores are record shows. There are far too many dealers with overpriced common LPs, often not separated by genre or alphabetized, usually unpriced as well. I quit going as it wasn’t worth my time.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  8. BornToBoogie

BornToBoogie Forum Resident

I am working in Oxford today.
    Planning to visit a fairly new shop that I have never been to before.
    The reviews talk about a very grumpy owner with a great selection of records.
    Sounds like a good trade off to me!
    He will have to go some to beat the now closed one in Exeter for misery.
    My peeve is albums jammed in so you cannot flick through them properly and new and secondhand mixed.
    Looking forward to checking it out.

9. Bigsweetc6

Bigsweetc6 Active Member

It’s 2023! $3-$5 LPs is definitely the bargain bin when the going rate for nearly anything decent new or used is $30 and up…

cwitt1980 likes this.
  10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

We have have a guy that we call "Mr. Stinky"! He doesn't really smell bad anymore but the name has stuck. Like most customers, he doesn't know his backroom nickname.

eflatminor likes this.
  11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Well I certainly hate the first one. I don't mind a bargain bin that's higher than a 'dollar bin.' While I would personally prefer to NOT have two bargain bins, we've been trying out a $5 bin that's basically stuff that has been in the store for a long time, titles that are pretty great but not perfect (not trashed), or titles that aren't that well known but are in decent shape. It does help with taking the time out to clean up an album, sleeving, etc. I wanted to call it the 'clean it yourself' bin as a joke. The owner changes his mind every two weeks about what he wants to do so it probably won't be around forever anyways.

There is a store I like a lot in St. Louis that has a bargain bin with various prices. I sort of like it to be honest. It's always going to be subjective along with a changing market, but I think something that was a dollar bargain from a couple decades ago can certainly go up in value to a few bucks.

12. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

They're probably confused with Brenda Lee. Some younger people just have no clue. I hate finding stuff that I didn't sort out in very wrong places. Geez... just ask where something goes. Or go look it up on Discogs or Google.

13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

It's them Quincy Jones arrangements!

MrSka57 likes this.