Record store pictures from the past.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SOONERFAN, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident Thread Starter

This thread is a result of a totally random thought I had earlier today. That thought was, what did music/record stores look like "back in the day". I am 39 so I remember back when a music store was divided between roughly half LP's and half tapes with CD's coming along quite soon after that early memory. Those stores I remember from my youth were mostly music stores in the mall with a few stand alone music stores. What did records look like back in the 50's through 70's or even further back into the 1920's through 1940's. What was that visual experience like? I hope there are lots of pictures that exist as this is what I came up with upon a quick Google search. What did the environment look like when you went in to buy the latest Louis Armstrong release back in the 1920's? I don't know, perhaps there was no such thing as an isolated "record store" back then. Were there even malls back then?

Attached Files:

JonnyKidd and Binni like this.
  2. Runt

Runt Senior Member

This is gonna be a sad thread. :cry:

3. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Cool idea!

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2

4. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

Here's one from the fall of 1972:

[​IMG]

5. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

I think we had something like this not too long ago.

George P likes this.
  6. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

woah, the original Candi Staton Fame LP !!!
    those two guys at back look so cool

7. That shot is not all that much different from several of the record stores I frequent today.

8. I was just thinking the same thing. Looks like Portland ........... today.

oneslip17 likes this.
  9. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Almost -- no tattoos.

DLD, oneslip17, billdcat and 2 others like this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No one in the old days really thought to take a snap of the outside of a record store but a Facebook Friend had this blurry shot of my all-time favorite record store, Lewin's Record Paradise on Hollywood Blvd (1967).

My friend had a way older brother who was hip to the store and the British vinyl treasures it contained. He convinced their mom to drive us there one day after school, all the way from the West Valley into the heart of Hollywood.

Mr. Lewin and his wife were so nice and very British. They loved music and recordings and it was there at the end of 1967 that my world was ROCKED when we walked in there and we saw an entire wall of "BRITISH IMPORT" Beatles, Stones, Bee Gees, Kinks, etc. albums for the first time. We saw the 45 EP set of MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR, the HELP! soundtrack with 14 songs on it, the unknown (to us) BEATLES FOR SALE and, the one and only "A COLLECTION OF BEATLE OLDIES" that had the songs in true stereo that Capitol never gave us (Ticket To Ride, I Feel Fine, A Hard Day's Night, From Me To You, I Want To Hold Your Hand, etc.) Mr. Lewin gladly played them for us right in the store. Hearing those songs in stereo for the first time was quite exciting even if we couldn't afford to buy anything (that trip). The strange covers (AFTERMATH, PLEASE PLEASE ME, etc.) the strange and mysterious record labels (Parlophone, Pye, Decca, Regal Zonophone, Polydor, etc.) and the amazing 45's and EP's. Jaw dropping heaven.

I tell you, it changed my life. When I saw those 14 song albums, man, so great. Also SO MUCH MONEY, I think 8 bucks per album. We didn't have it of course, but we managed to get some of them anyway by combining allowance monetary resources..

At any rate, we marveled at the photo of the Beatles hanging on the wall in the store, signing autographs on a photo using Mr. Lewin's back as a writing support. I think that photo was even published in the paper. A great store.. Photo by Gary Schneider. Lewin's Record Paradise, Hollywood, 1967..jpg

DK Pete, illwind64, Judy8003 and 44 others like this.
  11. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

Oh yeah, Starship Records and Tapes, the buildings shown here have been torn down, but they are still in business down the street. The picture on the right was the "Head Shop".

Attached Files:

12. muckrocker

muckrocker Active Member

13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

14. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

15. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Steve, that is so great. I rode my bike from the Valley to hang out there at Lewin's, stared at a UK Rubber Soul for MONTHS before I was able to save the money and buy it (I think the price was $7.99).

Edit: I know, #nohype, but here's a blog post I once did about Lewin's:
    http://madload.tumblr.com/post/4677355842/record-paradise#notes

Judy8003 likes this.
  16. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

[​IMG]

Vogel's in Elizabeth, N.J. Home of bargain records, many selling for $2.99 and $3.67. Try returning a record there and you would get an earful from Cy Vogel about quality control though!

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rennes Musique - gone forever. :shake:
    This was one of the three big rooms.

screw_squirrel and 1970 like this.
  18. Michael Manning

Michael Manning Forum Resident

Here's a pic of my store River Records (1993-2000) in Monroe, Louisiana.
    Garth 96 1.jpg

19. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

:love: Rhino Records (Los Angeles) - Went every day after school :love:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  20. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    my lost youth... used to collect shekel to shekel just to buy another "led zeppelin" or "Genesis" cd. late 80's early 90's. Jerusalem.

21. Tortazilla

Tortazilla Forum Resident

image.jpg
    The Turning Point, Glendale CA 1978

22. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Buch.jpg
    Buch Spieler, on Langdon St., Montpelier, VT. Still open. The first real record store I went to (other key sources were Harry's Discount Department Store and Kinney Drugs a few miles away in Berlin). It used to be half the size. You'd enter through that door on the left and immediately up on the right was the wall that held new releases. The area behind that left window used to be the back of the counter where the cash register was. I remember buying ELO's Out Of The Blue here. Bought various twenty-five cent records based on the jacket covers. Bought Steve Winwood's Arc of a Diver here based on reading a review. The owner patiently helped me through at least three copies of Double Fantasy until I got one without a little defect at the beginning. Sometime in the 90s I was in there and overheard the clerk offer free tickets to someone for the CSN concert in Stowe that night. I ended up taking a few digital tapes to the venue and exchanging them for $80 cash and two tickets. I later dropped the cash through the mail slot at the store. I need to get back to VT.

dkmonroe likes this.
  23. Tortazilla

Tortazilla Forum Resident

image.jpg
    Tower Records, Sunset Blvd, W. Hollywood

24. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Musical Box.JPG

The Musical Box, Liverpool, as it looks in 2013- and 1963. Best record store in the world. They still have boxes of 45s from the 60s in mint condition, original sleeves, etc.

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great pictures! Sadly, all of mine closed down before I took any photos, I believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.