Record Stores in Cleveland

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Adam9, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй. Thread Starter

I'm heading down to Cleveland this week to check out the Tommy exhibit at the RRHOF among other things, and would like to know if there are any good record stores in the downtown area.

Thanks.

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

No, none in the immediate Downtown area, though the shop at the Rock Hall has a fantastic CD selection, and some new vinyl too. However, just a few miles from Downtown on Madison avenue is My Mind's Eye. I haven't been there in a few years but they had a ton of great vinyl and CD's. Worth checking out!

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

there is an independently owned chain strewn about cleveland called the "Cd and game exchange". been there for years and years. if you head away from downtown at all ask someone, you'll more than likely be close to one.

renny

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The old head shop?

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Actually, the CD & Game Exchanges are starting to fold up, if they are not totally gone already. No great loss as I never thought they had much to begin with, at least the ones I visited.

The one you want is simply called The Exchange. There's one in Lakewood, not too far from Downtown Cleveland, on Detroit Avenue. They are scattered all over the area. Great vinyl and CD selections. I visit one regularly on my lunch hour every couple weeks or so.

Both of these used to be one chain called The Record Exchange before they split.

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

You may be thinking of Record Revolution, on Coventry Rd in Cleveland Heights. This ain't too far from Downtown either. Last time I was there I wasn't too impressed though. You could do just as well at one of The Exchange shops, though Coventry is a pretty interesting area of town to visit.

7. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

The Exchange in Lakewood and North Olmsted are the best places to go for used stuff. I loaded up on about a dozen Target and first pressing CDs the last time I was in town. I think the average price I spent was about $7 per CD. The Lakewood store also had used vinyl the last time I was there.

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй. Thread Starter

Thanks to all the respondents! :)

9. bw

bw Forum Resident

It's been almost 5-6 years since I've been shopping there.

Is the Wax Stacks store on Lee road still around? The other good one that I remember was My Generation, but I think it closed. There was also a store called Chris' Warped records. And what about the old store called "records" on the west side? Any of these still around?

10. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Ah, so they no longer sell the ~$15 used gold discs (MFSL, DCC)?

I snagged quite a few gold discs on the cheap from that place back in the late '90s . . . But of course now I kick myself for not just buying their whole damn inventory at those prices! :sigh: (I remember a glass case near the cash register that had perhaps 75-100 MFSL and DCC discs, all in the $15 range. :cry: )

I second the recommendation for My Mind's Eye . . . cool dude runs the place, and he had a really eclectic assortment of vinyl and CDs.

Craig(VC).

11. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

My Generation and Chris' Warped both closed in the last few years.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

actually the best record store in cleveland is not in cleveland it is in cuyahoga falls.

it's called time travelle and it has everything you could want. used CD's, new Cd's, imports, boots, vinyl, LP's, DVD's.

i spend at least 2 -3 hours there everythime i go.

renny

13. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Agree 100%. :thumbsup: More than worth the trip if you have the time.

14. loomis

loomis Forum Resident

Listen to me:

Shattered records. 130th & Lorain avenue, Cleveland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.