Record Stores in Halifax/St. Johns

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Jeff Kent, Apr 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got roped into going on a cruise this summer. It's only 5 days and makes day stops in Halifax and St. Johns. Are there any record stores worth searching for there?

2. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Is it stopping in Portland? There is a Bull Moose and some smaller shops, so the trip won't be a complete musical loss if you strike out north of the border.

3. Jeff Kent

Nope, but I may make my way up towards Portland this summer too.

4. Jeff Kent

5. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

St. John's has Fred's. Now that HMV has closed, I think Fred's might be the only option?
    Fred's doesn't have the best used selection, since you know, Newfoundland is a sparsely populated island isolated in the north Atlantic, but you will find so many great local releases there. Talk to the staff. They will send you away with many treasures that you would likely have never heard about otherwise.

6. Jeff Kent

I always try to shop local when traveling.

7. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I am pretty sure you have it correct, but thought I'd mention this. A lot of people who are not from the Maritimes get St. Johns (Newfoundland and Labrador) and Saint John (New Brunswick) confused. Both are ports.
    I get this.

What I don't get: every couple of years you hear of some lost traveller who booked a flight to Sydney. The end up in Sydney, Nova Scotia not Sydney Australia.

Oh, and when Americans talk about Portland - there is more than one Portland. My mind goes to Maine, others to Oregon.

8. Jeff Kent

I'm a New Englander, so I always go with Maine first too.

9. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Let us know your opinions of your cruise & destinations afterwards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.