Record stores in London

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by bartels76, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. attym

attym Forum Resident

good info, thanks

2. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

There are two on Oxford Street, the one you want is in the section between Tottenham Court Road station and Oxford Circus. There is a reasonable vinyl selection here, though it is generally pricey. The upside is sometimes you can find titles that are OOP elsewhere, as a lot of the stock is pretty static.

Tom

3. bencasey

bencasey New Member

What about Beanos in East Croydon? That was my favorite store there. I haven't been to London since 2003. Hope it's still there.

4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Gone, I'm afraid- great place:

Exclusive: Croydon's Beanos closes for good as mystery buyer snaps up stock
    Thursday, July 30, 2009, 12:12

EXCLUSIVE

By Dave Burke

[email protected]

A mystery buyer has brought one of Croydon's best-known businesses to a close.

Beanos record store shut for the last time on Wednesday after a late-night deal was struck to sell all the shop's remaining stock.

An online retailer snapped up a staggering 30,000 vinyls, CDs, books, posters and other pieces of memorabilia.

The announcement comes a week after owner David Lashmar announced that he intended to close at the end of next month.

Mr Lashmar, 65, said today(Thursday): "We're officially closed.

"The guy spent most of yesterday here looking at the stock.

"At the end of the day he said: 'Can we sit down and talk?'

"Then he said: 'Do you want to sell the lot?' We talked and late on Wednesday night we made a deal."

This morning, Mr Lashmar sent an e-mail to his regular customers informing them that Beanos was no more.

Within two hours he had received more than 60 replies.

He now reckons it will take up to six weeks to pack up the stock and deliver it all to the buyer, who lives on the south coast.

A new marketplace, which will be a collection of indoor stalls, is set to open in its place in November.

Mr Lashmar said: "I'm delighted. I'm going for a couple of pints tonight, and I think then it will sink in."

5. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

There was a management buyout at Virgin in late 2007 which necessitated a name change, hence Zavvi. Zavvi bought their stock from EntertainmentUK, a distribution company owned by the UK Woolworths chain. When Woolworths got into financial difficulties late last year closing EntertainmentUK, Zavvi's supply chain got curtailed, and due to other financial difficulties it was enough to force them over the edge.

Zavvi went into administration on Christmas Eve. Stores were closed over the next few weeks until chain ceased trading in mid February. Some stores were sold to HMV, whilst a handful were transferred to an new chain named Head. The Zavvi brand was sold to an on-line retailer.

6. Teej

Teej Member

Regarding HMV Oxford Circus being the one you want, as opposed to the other one on Oxford Street called the Bond Street location, I think they're both worth a look.

The individual sections are run by different people with different tastes. You'll find completely different "current deals" in the rock/jazz/classical/electronica sections of each store and you can find gems at both of them.

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

What's the address?

8. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident

9. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Good point, although I was meaning the largest when I said 'the one you want' as that was what the OP was after. The address is 150 Oxford St, W1D 1DJ.

Tom

10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I went quickly to the HMV at Oxford. It's funny that there a lot of US imports. Especially by Universal. It looks as though a lot of catalogs by US artists are just getting imported.

11. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I was touring with the family in August and managed to stop a few:

"Sister Ray they stock vinyl as well as cds. Some used stuff in the vinyl."

Nice place but I didn't find any CD I really wanted....a few used vinyl titles were of interest but not enough to stuff them into my suite case during the travels ahead.

"Revival (or Reckless) Records just down from Sister Ray. They sell used lps and cds. Not a bad selection."

I bought a JETHRO TULL "Original" box set with three mini lp replicas (I believe they are well thought of on this forum) - 15 pounds. It was in the window. I also got a PJ Harvey promo single for 2 pounds.

"Further down you have Music & Video Exchange which also sell used cds and lps. I find them to be a but pricey but take a look."

I wish I had more time to dig into their piles....I needed to get back to the hotel/family so I was rushed and didn't find anything here.

I also looked at the HMV near Bond Street Station...reminded me of the Virgin stores and I couldn't think of any new in print titles I wanted that I couldn't get at home.

Away from London, The HMV near OXFORD UNIVERSITY had some sale items that seemed cheap...I almost picked up a few Smiths titles, etc.

In general I wasn't sure which new titles I wanted in EU/UK verions vs. the US version I already have and I didn't seen many new titles I wanted....I needed to be more prepared as I was rushed.

I could have used a list of stores in Southern England (other than London) as I was driving a nice new Volvo SC60 from Stonehinge to Dover.

12. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I've read that the Music & Video Exchange in Notting Hill was the inspiration for High Fidelity but I can't say my source was accurate. After visiting the store, though, it certainly does make sense.

13. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

EIL probably bought the stock.

14. Teej

Teej Member

Ah, gotcha.

Also, having been there since my previous post, the Bond Street location has massively reduced the amount of music they carry and increased the space for DVDs/Games into the main level. Music is now only on the top level aside for a few sale items on the main level. :shake:

15. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Sadly that seems to be the way for most HMV stores now, they're more geared towards DVDs and Video games, with small CD selections. :shake:

16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It's what sells unfortunately. At least the Oxford St one has a pretty big CD selection. I reckon it will remain that way for a while as it is their flagship store (I think).

Eddie

17. vinyljunkie123

vinyljunkie123 Forum Resident

I have a friend in London this week -- I'm looking for nice copies of two UK Joy Division 12 inches on LP -- Love Will Tear Us Apart and Atmosphere -- where should I send her?

18. vinyljunkie123

vinyljunkie123 Forum Resident

19. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

Here's my view on the stores around Berwick & Oxford.

BERWICK ST. - the cover photo from Oasis "What's the story morning glory?"

Sister Rays - good selection of new CDs and lower prices than HMV in general. Decent selection of used vinyl. The photo ofalbums like Bowie's new Station to Station Box and Weezer's "Herley" is from here.

Revival Records (formerly Reckless) - used CDs & vinyl. Most used CDs are 4 or 5 pounds with some discounted and others marked up. I found this store the most interesting as I was looking for used (especially OOP) CDs. I found 3 LONDON Made in WG Rolling Stones CDs for 5 pounds each. Red store in the photo.

Music & Video Exchange - smaller and less consistent used selection than Revival..more of a thrift store feel...but prices were NOT cheaper. I found an interesting Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me made in Australia 600 143-2 CD for 4 pounds and a "Trinity Sessions" CD made in Australia for Canada RCA disc for 5.

Oxford:
    HMV - felt like an old Virgin Store but fewer CDs. They had some nice expensive BEAR FAMILY boxes. For new releases & most titles 9.99 pounds seemed like the going rate. I did buy a 2.55 Paolo Nutini CD at the HMV Hethrow to burn down my coins.

Off Oxford on Hanway:
    JB's used vinyl - see photo of outside plus the Ten Years After & Bowie picture. Small used vinyl store...interesting but given the prices I didn't see anything I had to have.

There was another store a few feet down the road...Beat Records perhaps.

Attached Files:

20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Is GRAMEX still operated?

21. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Those pics make me sooooooo homesick :( Thanks for posting though! :)

22. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

There's a music/books Oxfam store in the Marylebone area that has some good stuff, prices are not great, but I did get an original mono White Album for 30 pounds with an extremely low number (ca 10,000), unfortunately it was beat up.

http://www.oxfammarylebone.co.uk/

23. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

24. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

25. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

Sadly Music exchange in Camden closed down .......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.