Record stores in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island & Connecticut!!

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by panicproject, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Good news and bad news after the recent flooding in Vermont. Exile on Main Street in Barre escaped any damage. That store has no basement, and the concrete slab it sits upon is raised up off the street far enough that it avoided any water on their end of Main Street.

Sadly, Buch Spieler, in Montpelier, lost everything.

On Instagram they are buch_spieler_records. They’ve posted video there discussing the damage.

Daddy-O4 and uzn007 like this.
  2. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

My local Newbury Comics had a color exclusives clearance bin next to the standard clearance section. Lots of decent stuff in the $10-$15 range. Snagged the Feelies "sky blue void" pressing there and it's pretty rad sounding.

uzn007 likes this.
  3. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Anyone here ever attend any of the record shows around New England?

There's one in Portland, ME this weekend and one in Portsmouth, NH next weekend. Some down in MA in the coming weeks as well.

roverb likes this.
  4. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

I've been to the one in Portland. This will be the third one the guy has put on. I believe he's the gentleman who sets up at the Brunswick flea in Dave's old spot.

Anyways, the show is very small. Maybe a dozen dealers but each time, I've walked out with a nice little stack of records.

Didn't know about the Portsmouth one, but I anticipate it will have some overlap of dealers.

uzn007 and ngower like this.
  5. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Noble Records did a "East Coast Record dig" video and the image says "Great Record Stores in Maine, NJ..." and then it kinda cuts off, so I assumed we'd have some Maine representation in the video. Watched the entire thing and it's almost exclusively NJ/PA/VA stores he mentions. Does say he went into Moody Lords and Strange Maine for about 20 mins but didn't buy anything. Disappointed he didn't hit up anything in the Boston area or Deep Groove/Bull Moose while in Maine. I can understand skipping BM as you're unlikely to find any used gems, but was disappointed he didn't make the trip to DG as they totally deserve the signal boost that video would have given.

Echoes71 likes this.
  6. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Did anyone attend the Portland, ME record show last Saturday? How was it? I thought about taking the drive but I really don't need any more records in my house. :)

7. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

I didn't but am planning on going to the winter (if there is one) show down the line.

8. CaseyJames

I went. Early bird, I assumed, was from 8-9, so it came as a little bit of a surprise when I showed up at 9:45 and had to pay early bird admission of $8 because apparently it ran from 8-10. Whatever. That said, it wasn't the best of the three so far, but still had some good stuff. I only grabbed three records but could have easily bought more if I wanted to spend the money.

Hoping the next one is bigger.

9. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Don’t forget there’s one in Portsmouth this weekend for anyone in the area.

10. CaseyJames

I gotta assume it'll be very similar dealers. I'd probably go but am going to Newport for a concert Sunday. Speaking of which, is Vinyl Guru in Newport any good?

11. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

The perk of this one (for those who drink) is that it's at a brewery, so if the records suck you can get some drinks in. I'll be skipping this one as I'm saving my nickels for a trip to Boston in a couple weeks and wanna splurge at some stores down there.

CaseyJames likes this.
  12. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Some of the reviews say it’s small. I’m in the area for the weekend but am not sure if I’ll get there. Was sad to see the Music Box along Thames St closed a few years back.

13. CaseyJames

So I the shop. It is small but had a solid selection all things considered. Didn't end up with anything, though.

14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Same here.

15. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Any recommendations near-ish (within walking distance) to north station? Planning to stop by Music Research Library but curious what else is around? Gonna try to incorporate some record shopping into a trip through Boston.

16. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

There’s a Newbury Comics in Faneuil Hall but it’s similar to their mall stores.

17. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

how was the Portsmouth show? .. anyone attend?

18. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Stopped by Music Research Library, what a gem of a shop. Spent twice as much as I planned to.

uzn007 likes this.
  19. CaseyJames

Was thinking about checking out Welfare Records tomorrow. Read somewhere that it was cash only; can anyone confirm or deny that?

20. Rmbottojr

Rmbottojr Forum Resident

The last time I was there it was cash or you could payapl F&F. Welfare is my favorite place in MA. The owner is a riot but usually isn't there during the weekends.

CaseyJames likes this.
  21. CaseyJames

Thank you for this. Follow up question: do you know if their Discogs stock is also in the bins at the store or is a separate thing?

22. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

It is. It’ll either be up on the wall or out back.
    Anything worth, pretty much, over $25 is out back.

Ask and they’ll let you check it out. They know where just about everything is, too. So if there’s something you are specifically after, just ask.

Everyone there is way cool. Mike (the owner), Mike or Jeff.

23. Rmbottojr

Rmbottojr Forum Resident

Exactly there's what they have out and what they have. If you strike up a conversation with the people working there, and you want something specific, chances are they have it

24. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

As has been discussed elsewhere, Mike the owner lives upstairs and his apartment is basically crates of albums and a bed.

25. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

In the last couple of years Mike has sold his personal hardcore and surf collections in the store.

I didn’t buy any of the hardcore but I did get some really nice surf stuff. His vg copy of Link Wray and His Wraymen and an immaculate Surfink being the highlights.

Danby Delight and uzn007 like this.