Record stores in Toronto

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by 120dB, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

Wild East on Danforth has closed down..................unfortunately...........sonic boom is great and kops amazing!!!

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I haven't been to Kops in ages. It's good but I preferred the old store with racks and racks of lps and 45 singles. But times change.

I've been to Sonic loads of times as my friend lives a minute away and we drink in the pub across the road. As a result I've reassessed my initial opinion of Sonic Boom. Although it had a lot of product I didn't like the place much. Felt it was impersonal and honestly I never found what I wanted. Must have been having a bad few days when I visited. :)

Having been there quite a few times and especially on Record Store Day I've grown to like it a lot. As far as selection (even if I didn't find what I wanted a few time) it is huge. In terms of LPs they are one of the only shops in the city that you can buy AP type pressings. I don't see those much around town. You see some of the speakers corners releases but AP seem thin on the ground. There's another hi fi shop that sells audiophile Lps. Executive Stereo.

Most employees at Sonic store have been working there for 5 yrs +. One guy is still there from when it opened. They do a lot for the music scene here in the city with their in store appearances. You definitely felt a good vibe there during RSD.

Price wise it is hit and miss. Some things you will see in there are priced high even as used product but then you'll find some good deals.

I still prefer places like Soundscapes but Sonic Boom is a good shop and I make it a must visit when record shopping. Which isn't that hard since I'm always down the pub over the road!

For anyone down on the Danforth between Pape and Donlands subway stops , just at Jones, there's a book and record store called Circus Books. Great selection of books and some good used cds and vinyl. A bit far out to just pop in but if you are in the area it is definitely worth a visit.

Eddie

3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

A&A was gone long before file sharing.

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yup. Sam was at deaths door for a long time. I don't think the brothers(??) who took over knew what they were doing. At least that is what I heard.

It is weird seeing that empty lot though. Yonge St kind of sucks these days. I try and avoid it bar a visit to Sunrise, Refried and HMV (sometimes).

5. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I worked for A&A (Sound Insight) in the early 1980s. They had gone through a major expansion and were suffering when I left.

6. colinu

It would have taken a miracle to save Sams. They had internal issues, but as we know the industry as a "hole" has imploded in recent years.

7. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

I'm new to toronto but I find the city has some good record stores despite the tough times they're facing......I'll pay a visit to the two shops you mention executive stereo and circus books............

8. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

Kops (upstairs) for 45 rpm 7" singles.

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I've only been back in the city properly for about two months now but I was really surprised at how many record stores the city had. I thought there would be a lot fewer. TO has always been a good music town so I think it helps the record stores.

BTW Executive Stereo is moving in July. I know they have their electronic equipment on sale so maybe they might have the lps on sale too.

Eddie

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Checking for an update on these stores. Only care about used CDs - sounds like Sonic Boom is a great place to go. Other current recommendations?

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I still go to Vortex at least once a week. Great discs coming in all the time.

12. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

:agree: Agree with Vortex.

Sonic Boom is good, too, but it has more new CDs than old. Still worth checking out, though.

It's moved, although just kitty-corner.

Amoroso Music is great for classical, although they do carry all genres.

There are quite a few other stores scattered throughout the city, with smaller selections. 2 are She Said Boom (2 locations) and Pandemonium.

13. colinu

You might try perusing The Beat Goes On website - then visiting a store or two.

14. Oatsdad

Could you cool it for a while so there'll be something left for me when I visit? ;)

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You'll have to be quick! The Vortex shop has a facebook page and he regularly lists new items.

He listed some lps I wanted and I called the next day and they were already gone. Gone in a few hours after opening the shop.

He's previewed a few cds yesterday that I would really like but can't get there until Thursday at the earliest. :(

Great place. If you can time your visit for one of his 25-50% cds/dvd/bluray sales you are in luck. You can get some great deals during those sales. I know I did!

Too boot...they're nice guys.

However, make sure you're back is in shape if you intend on doing some lp shopping...a lot of their vinyl is about 6 inches from ground level.

As an aside...I popped into the Sonic Boom shop. They moved around the corner so are still in the same area. They're still setting it up but it's as it always was. They managed to keep most of their stock despite their foot print reducing to 11000 sq ft from 13000 sq ft.

Also don't forget they opened a vinyl only shop (still carry vinyl at the main shop) on Augusta Ave. I have yet to visit but hope to do so soon.

Eddie

16. ZootAllures

ZootAllures Forum Resident

As a matter of fact...they're having one now! I copied and paste this from their Facebook page:

Vortex Records
    All DVDs and Blu-rays on sale tomorrow, Thursday, Sept 29, 2011:

40% off all regular DVD movies and DVD movie box sets
    25% off all Criterion or Blu-ray titles
    25% off all television DVDs (we recently discounted these already)

To get the discount, say "I follow you on Facebook" BEFORE I start to punch in your transaction. Besides here and our General Mailing List, this sale is not being advertised.

PLEASE SHARE this post with your friends and help make this a successful sale. We're trying to free up some space for new product. Doors are open 10 - 10.

Note that I have pulled some titles from the floor to avoid discounting them but only a couple dozen and all titles that have come in in the past week.

Thanks!

17. Oatsdad

Never updated from my trip - not sure anyone cares, but I'll write anyway! :D

Vortex was a big nothin' in terms of what I wanted (early pressing CDs), and Sonic Boom wasn't a lot better. Got a fairly rare "Van Halen" target there, though, so it wasn't a total loss...

18. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Sorry to hear that, Colin. It is pretty hit-and-miss in both of those stores, so I'm happy you got something out of it, at least. :wave:

19. Oatsdad

Thanks! I actually think I saw a few other early pressings at Sonic Boom but they were ones I already had - and weren't rare enough to justify buying a duplicate.

Don't remember seeing anything interesting (to me) at Vortex...

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Toronto is a well picked town. You need to be there when it shows up to be honest. Vortex will let customers know (fan page) when interesting items have come in which just makes it harder unless you live next door to them. :)

21. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I was in Toronto recently and visited the re-located
    Sonic Boom. They have moved across the street. Other
    than that, not much has changed....the layout and
    retail space are virtually the same.
    Still an excellent store....

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I actually prefer the new location over the other one (it's actually around the corner though). It has more character. The band stage is higher so site lines are better as well.

But get this...their trade has increased.

They get people going across on the streetcar who have never seen that store when it was on Bloor. There's just more street traffic. They actually had one person go in thinking they were a new store and not realising they were just around the corner for years.

Eddie

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

24. Simon F.

Simon F. Formerly Mister Yesterday

Anyone remember Century Records on Kingston Rd?

25. Simon F.

Simon F. Formerly Mister Yesterday

Are there any record stores (other than Discovery and In The Groove) that also sell cassettes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.