Record Stores

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by coolhandjjl, Dec 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus Thread Starter

I’m sick and tired of Amazon, seems like I have to return every LP for either being warped, scratched, infill noise, etc. I’m convinced they buy pressing houses b-grade or rejects.

Aside from audiophile grade or lost classics, where do people get just regular new vinyl?

uzn007 likes this.
  2. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Physical B&M shops with good return/replacement policies.

bhazen and uzn007 like this.
  3. fish

fish Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  4. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

How far is your nearest recordstore? Amazon is the devil. I try to avoid it as often as possible. Only when the deals are extremely good, last month with 3 Tone Poets for the price of 2.

hi_watt likes this.
  5. coolhandjjl

I really don’t want to shop in public right now, just for necessities like groceries.

6. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

I can imagine. Here local stores are also sending out orders.

7. coolhandjjl

I’ll check into that.

RemyM likes this.
  8. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

I'm finding this true not only through Amazon but any record merchant. The quality control of vinyl these days is pretty bad. Nothing like spending $25+ on a new record only to have to go and exchange it or send it back, and sometimes not just once. And during a pandemic to boot! As such, I'm not buying much new vinyl these days at all.

mackat, Shawn and c-eling like this.
  9. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Unlikely. If any QC is done, it's done at the factory before it gets sent to packaging. Consider that Amazon wouldn't stock new vinyl records for about 5 months. The biggest issue I've had with Amazon is not the quality of the vinyl, it's the packaging. The reduced staffing has disrupted their inventory system along with picking and packing. Their normal packaging is to package their records in mailers before it enters their inventory system. I've seen this before, it usually happens during the Winter rush. But Amazon has been rushing the entire year. You should also consider that Amazon's disruption of nonessential sales has stocked their inventory with items that were produced by record plants that were under similar stresses with staffing.

Regardless, you can try the guys that have been around for years. These include Elusive Disc, Music Direct, and Acoustic Sounds. Be sure to check for coupons and understand their free shipping policies. If you want free shipping which is helpful with single item purchases, Amoeba is good. Just know that if you're used to Prime delivery, you aren't going to get that. Amazon will have delivered your replacement records before these guys delivery your original order. So, this is something to consider. If you don't have a convenient UPS store near you, Amazon can be a hassle. But Amazon does give you an entire month to return the item.

10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Since when did Amazon start manufacturing records?
    Their mastering's are quite awful as well.

JasonA and Dr. Funk like this.
  11. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

I've found, as mentioned above, Acoustic Sounds and Presto Music have been flawless so far, and package very well.

12. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

:laughup:

14. coolhandjjl

Over the last four months, a single album from Amazon has always come in different types packaging. Each time it’s a new experience. From loose in a large box with air bags, loose in an unpadded, vinyl shipping bag, all the way to the standard corrugated LP mailer. :D

15. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

This is a good one. lot of shops on there as well.

Fruff76 likes this.
  16. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

There are plenty of independent record stores that do a fantastic job of packaging your vinyl purchases, along with a no fuss return policy.

17. coolhandjjl

I’ve used Discogs for oldies, guess I never considered looking for current stuff there.

18. coolhandjjl

Elusive Disc
    Music Direct
    Acoustic Sounds
    Discogs- Assorted sellers.

Looks like I have a great list here for US shipping. Thanks for all the suggestions!

bhazen likes this.
  19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

bullmoose
    amoeba
    easy street
    silver platters
    plaid room
    1234go
    zion's gate

just a few indies that have websites you can order from!

bdfin, bhazen, starfieldroad and 2 others like this.
  20. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

The suggestions above are great, in addition look into these sellers:

Bullmoose Records (Maine)
    They’re behind Record Store Day. They have a points system where you wind up getting records for 50% off after a number of purchases.

Plaid Room Records (Ohio)
    I found out about them during last year’s RSD. I’m currently awaiting delivery of this past Black Friday RSD’s two Lou Reed albums.

Freakbeat Records (Los Angeles)
    This is my local store in Sherman Oaks in the Valley. They sell on Discogs and Ebay, a great little shop!

sharedon, Mr. LP Collector and uzn007 like this.
  21. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I've had good luck with Plaid Room.

sharedon likes this.
  22. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Lots of brick and mortar record stores have Discogs seller accounts. My favorites:

Rasputin Rarities (Berkeley CA)
    1234 Go (Oakland CA)
    Eroding Winds (Oshkosh WI)

And of course, Amoeba has a website and is the best record store in the country.

uzn007 likes this.
  23. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I ask my local B&M store to special-order stuff for me. Sometimes I order from Plaid Room Records or Bull Moose or other stores that have good mailorder policies. I've actually ordered from a bunch of different B&M stores for the various Record Store Day drops this year and my experience has been uniformly positive. Most stores are very helpful and willing to answer questions, change orders if they haven't been packed and shipped yet, etc.

During the last RSD drop, I (finally) got the idea to start saving bookmarks of record stores I've ordered from online. I could post those here if there's interest (and if that wouldn't violate a forum policy... maybe I could post them in one of the Marketplace forums instead).

24. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I've found Discogs is great for semi-current stuff that's starting to get remaindered. Sellers like Popmarket have huge inventories of sealed records at decent prices. You can also get brand new stuff from them and a lot of other vendors, too, as noted previously.

25. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I have yet to have any issues with Amazon, and I've bought lots of new vinyl from it.

I have no idea how they would be at fault for noisy records or non-fill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.