Record Stores

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by coolhandjjl, Dec 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Lots of record stores (here in Belgium at least) have an online webshop and most of the times very good prices ! In Europe I can recommend https://www.jpc.de/ (Germany), a lot of times they do free shipping (get on their mailing list) whatever the amount of your order and they have very good prices.

2. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus Thread Starter

Rats... Information overload now...:laugh:

3. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Discogs
    Experience Vinyl
    Sellers here
    Comeback Vinyl
    Toad Hall online for RSD releases if I'm lucky

4. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

5. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Simple, I don't buy new vinyl from anywhere. I have all the records I want. On the rare occasions I'm buying new media, it's been CDs for years. I have turntables because I still have about 500 albums from the old days, most of which are still in good to great condition. I still don't get why people today would get into vinyl if this is their first rodeo. The whole analog sounds better than digital argument has long been debunked. I like vinyl because of the nostalgia factor and because I've had some of my records going back to when I was 15-17 years old (70 now) not because they sound better. So many people are jumping on the vinyl thing and there are so many issues reported with pressing quality, I just am glad I'm out. And Amazon is the devil (even though I use them for other things...).

I should add that *if* we had a local record store, I might reconsider my position but by mail? Nope.

6. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

While I don't disagree with the growing animosity for Amazon as a whole......my last three vinyl records received from them HAD ZERO ISSUES. Amazon doesn't press the records so if it's a bad pressing for sound quality issues that's not on them. Now shipping is another thing. It sounds like wherever your Amazon orders ship from maybe they have more issues than other distribution centers.

7. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Most of my record purchases are from my local record shop and a few online indie retailers like Plaid Room and Light in the Attic. I've bought a lot of records from Amazon and have only recieved one record that needed to exchanged. I know it doesnt speak for everyone else's experience, but Amazon has been good to me. Call it luck or whatever.

8. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

Where's appleton. Love your avatar BTW. The 1960's in a single record jacket. :)

9. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

FWIW, I've never bought a record online, though if I wanted something fancy I might go for something from Vinylmeplease. Searching through record stores is half the fun for me. If I can't get it from a record store, garage sale, etc. I'll just go without - or just stream it.

I also never buy anything from Wal-Mart that has an AC cord. But that is for a different reason.

10. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

I frequent Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds

11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'd like to give a nod to a new record shop that's opened up in Edinburgh, down on Leith's Constitution Street. Good Vibes is part record shop, bookshop and part artists space in the upper floors of the building. Details below...

Edinburgh husband and wife duo open new Leith record and book store 'Good Vibes'

Great news, there's been too many closing (three in the last year or so), so this is most welcome. If you're in the area, bear them in mind.

12. coolhandjjl

I better add Electric Fetus to my list too. I forgot about them.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  13. coolhandjjl

14. coolhandjjl

15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

GREAT name!

RhodesSupremacy likes this.
  16. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Sounds like a death metal group :laugh:

Brother_Rael likes this.
  17. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Brother_Rael likes this.
  18. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I actually have recently purchased several new LPs from Walmart. It started by accident as I try to avoid this type of store. Anyway, I was looking for something else when I walked by their vinyl display. Up front and center was “Dark Side if the Moon” by Pink Floyd, 180g remastered in the origins designed cover. The price was competitive with what I had seen online. It played well, not a scratch.

Since than if I’m there I always check out the vinyl display. I just purchased another 180g vinyl “Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Greatest Hits”. Again well priced and very good quality.

I would prefer to purchase off a local record shop, but none exists in my area. So, the Walmart version is fine. I’m not sure about their return policy per vinyl.

I also purchased “After the Gold-rush” by Neil Young from a bookstore. Sorry, I can’t remember which one, but it’s a nation wide chain. It was a little pricey, but not so much to deter me. I had wanted that LP for a while. It was fine. Sounds great.

However at the same store I purchased “Who’s Next” by The Who. At first it sounded fine, but I began to notice distortion on the last song in side 2. It occurred in one channel. I checked it out and came up the conclusion there was a problem with the pressing which was supported by others who had similar problems with new pressings.

I ended up giving that LP to my grandson and I purchased a used version online. So, again I can’t comment on their return policy.

So, for the most part I have had success with new vinyl at a name brand store.

It’s not what I would like to report, but it’s my experience. Lol.

19. coolhandjjl

20. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

21. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Thanks Gorts!

22. coolhandjjl

Wisconsin

23. coolhandjjl

I bought a bunch of LPs at their Appleton store on RSD a while back. Every single one had a very bad warp. They really gave me a hard time about returning them, didn’t want to take them back. I returned with my tt, spun each one in right in front of them, and left the stack of LPs on the counter per my credit card company’s recommendation and walked out. My cc company refund me and took it out of their merchant account. Hard to trust a retailer after that.

24. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Eroding Winds is your spot then!

coolhandjjl likes this.
  25. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

Anybody with a name Bullmoose or Plaid room I've got to give them a try!:)

I've been to Freakbeat a number of times through the years--great store! Gets a lot of product through the door. Owner is Bob Cey, good guy!:righton:

DigMyGroove likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.