Record Time (Detroit independent music store) to close

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by GroovinGarrett, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I used to pop into Record Time whenever I was in Detroit
    for concerts. In the summer of 2009 (between Jackson Browne
    and DMB gigs) I went there again and I was shocked at how
    much it had gone downhill. I knew it wouldn't be long.....and
    Rock-A-Billys in Utica is also, sadly, not worth seeking out (I
    believe the owner has retired).
    The good news is that I hit Dearborn Music this summer for the
    first time and it was a gas, gas, gas. At this point, anyway....

2. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

It's not an "is" it's a "maybe".

3. glea

glea Forum Resident

Sadly Detroit is dying, isn't it? It'll return to prarie in the next 100 years.

4. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I wonder if Kid Rock, or better yet, Eminem, knows that they're closing down. Both the hometown boys used to frequent the place back in the 90s, and I'm sure sold many CDs of their own there.

Hell, with all the units he still moves, Eminem could probably pay a year's rent for Record Time with the spare change he's got sitting around in a back bedroom.

5. abbeyroad2

abbeyroad2 Forum Resident

Me too. GREAT store lost.

You are right. Dearborn Music is the best in metro Detroit by FAR. Especially if you are looking for CDs. They have lots of vinyl too. Big used selection and a bunch of new stuff that you aren't going to find at Best Buy. Plus they also always have the latest Audio Fidelity stuff. I can't find AF stuff anywhere else around here.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

So it will look like Bozeman? ;)

Some of the Detroit suburbs are great.

7. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I was working in Dearborn a few months ago, and was blown away by Dearborn Music. Great store. Went there at lunch hour practically every other day. Desirable Disc location in Dearborn was also an awesome store, where you could spend hours wading through the used vinyl bins. Really miss that place.

As for the "detroit is dying" comment, sad to say that situation pretty much applies to SE Michigan IMO. This area is stuck in a 1950s mindset and now that we're 11 years into the 21st century, it has a helluva lot of catching up to do with the rest of the world. It'll take decades...or longer, if ever. As for the City of Detroit, that situation (also IMO) is totally based on the race attitudes here on both sides of the fence. Until that is faced up to and heads are taken out of the sand, Detroit will never come back. But that's a discussion for another time and place.

8. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

One thing I liked about Detroit record stores is that the vinyl was not overpriced like it is here in Vegas. Is it still that way up there?

9. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I guess that depends, Record Graveyard is one of the biggest Ebay vinyl sellers...they have a couple full-time people just doing that stuff.

10. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident

Heartbreaking. I spent so much time there through my years, especially when it was at 10 Mile. I have so many memories there. Special ordering Alice's 'Flush The Fashion', taking one of my first solo trips after I got my drivers license to pick up Macca's 'Off The Ground', walking across Gratiot on any random Saturday to peruse the new stock. Ironically, I wore my Record Time t-shirt today. So sad :(

11. uncle b

uncle b Forum Resident

I will continue to patronize Dearborn Music as much as I can. I am amazed repeatedly by this store, I have even now made it my go-to place on new release Tuesdays (the only thing near me is a Best Buy, with their newly-compressed two-aisle compact disc area). Dearborn Music is a half-hour drive away, but I just grab a big coffee and take the trip.

Dearborn Music never fails to surprise with great deals on new releases, even from small labels, and boxed sets that big box stores won't/don't even touch. Most every time I am looking for a catalog title from an artist, I will find it there. Well-organized, clean store, and great used bins!

Though hard to clearly see it, my avatar has always been the Dearborn Music price tag on the front of the recently-released Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" Super Deluxe box set I bought there. I thought that was a very competitively priced $95.99, without having it thrown through the postal system and arriving all beat up!

Just had them special order the Chic box set a couple of weeks ago and got a message tonight it was in for me to pick up. Great customer service, can't say enough about this place.

12. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

Dearborn music is a great music shop. I live an hour from Dearborn, but whenever I'm in the area I like to stop by:righton:

13. uncle b

uncle b Forum Resident

I was a big fan of Street Corner Music when I was renting a place out by their original location. It was during the funk-soul-r&b reissue boom during the early-to-mid-90's and that place had the best selection of that stuff. Basically, that place turned this unfunky white boy onto all kinds of great music (P-Funk, Philly Sound, JB, you name it). They used to have some good used bins and plenty of vinyl, too. I moved away several years ago, then they moved to what it sounds like is a smaller location. Haven't been there since.

14. motorcitydave

What was cool about Street Corner was their rock LPs. Since they really didn't sell much, they slashed the prices on those. I got some now-valuable LPs for cheap back then. For example, I got a promo copy of Kiss' 'Love Gun' with unfolded gun and merchandise insert for...6 bucks!

15. art

art Senior Member

jesus.

16. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

I can't say enough good things about Dearborn Music. I've shopped there for about 40 years.

Derek

17. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

I think Dearborn Music is the benchmark for brick and morter stores that want to survive. Their selection is diverse. They cater to everyone and don't have that snobbish nose-in-the-air attitude you find in way too many old record stores. I now live on the west side of Michigan about 2 hours from Chicago and to be honest, Detroit has better record/CD stores than Chicago. Lot's of old music stock in Detroit that hasn't been picked over by the uber elite collectors. Seems like the Chicago stores I've been to on multiple ocassions such as Dusty Goove, Record Mart, Chicago Digital, etc. have this elite feel to them, (i.e. high prices, super collectible stuff, not so friendly staff, strictly collector type customer base). At Dearborn Music you still get the typical Mother or Grandmother in there looking for a gift and asking dumb questions about who is Justin Beber and Gaga.

18. abbeyroad2

abbeyroad2 Forum Resident

I love all this Dearborn Music praise! I'm itching to go right now.

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I just got back 20 minutes ago. :laugh:

20. motorcitydave

So Dearborn Music is the best store in town, true? How's the vinyl selection?

21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Not bad, actually. They have made it a point of emphasis over the last 2-3 years to expand both new and used vinyl offerings.

Regards,

22. motorcitydave

Ok, cool. When I'm up there, I'll check it out. Thanks!

23. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Not a ton of used vinyl, but a really nice selection of new vinyl. Plus a great CD stock. Obscure stuff, imports, etc. One of the last of the great independent shops in this area IMO. Highly recommended. :righton:

24. motorcitydave

Ok, cool. Thanks. :)

25. uncle b

uncle b Forum Resident

Not twenty minutes ago, but I went on Saturday, and picked up the Chic box set they special ordered for me. Great place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.