Record warping mystery

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by subtemple, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

I would move the turntable down into the place where you currently have the LPs. Move the records over to the far left into whichever bunk is least exposed to sunlight and curtain it off, as suggested by @jJohnny Action, and tighten them up with a couple of large books. Then you will deserve a nice big glass of vin rouge. Nice vintage Technics receiver BTW.

subtemple likes this.
  2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It looks like just putting all the records in the same block would pretty close to fill one up, based on the pic.

3. Do they work well ? I was considering buying two sheets of glass and sitting warped records in between the sheets for a while with weights on the glass.

4. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

Does the bottom of your receiver get hot?

5. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Works beautifully in my experience. I've flattened more than ten records so far. Every one came out perfect. Glass and weights can work on some vinyl, but it will take a VERY long time.

nosliw and Big Blue like this.
  6. subtemple

subtemple Well-Known Member Thread Starter

...I'd never even considered that. I will have to get back to you!

7. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

With the turntable on top, it my even be hotter than normal. The heat has to go somewhere.

8. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

It can’t just be slight leaning from storage (*unless* you have sudden shifts in temperature that work along with the pressure). This has happened to me in the past. Also, do you use a record weight in combination with a soft record mat? That’s also given me problems because it’s almost like the weight on the record label portion is not the same as on the rest of the record. A soft surface makes it even worse.

9. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Sorry, that's ********. There is no way UV wavelengths are making it through a glass window and then a cardboard record sleeve. That's absurd.

Shawn likes this.
  10. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Well they must be. Look at how they warped that record !

11. subtemple

I've incorporated a number of changes suggested:

I installed a swing door
    Put the LPs and 12"s on the same shelf with a book to keep them upright
    Moved the records from under the reciever
    Moved the TT from on top of the reciever

Hopefully I have covered all my bases [​IMG]

ShallowMemory and eflatminor like this.
  12. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

What? They don't have light fixtures where you live ;)

I keep my blinds drawn where my records are stored and the room is not 'gloomy', just shady - I have plenty of artwork in my media room so it's not gloomy. Now that it hit 100* today all my blinds are drawn to keep Mr Sunlight from heating up my home.

13. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Store lp in the jacket, and vertical or close to it, at a slight angle is fine. I have lp’s well over 40 years stored this way with zero change.

ThinWhiteDuke likes this.
  14. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Stopped storing my records inside the jackets when I noticed it was causing minor edge warps.

15. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

One other possibility.

16. subtemple

Just an update and/or epilogue. Since I instituted the changes listed above, I have not experienced any further warping. In fact, I've noticed that a few of the problem records have straightened themselves out and are now playable on both sides.

This has proved an important lesson in hygiene and thanks again to all of the helpful commenters.

Soundslave and zombiemodernist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.