Record with most versions? (stereo, mono, LP, single, etc)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Dec 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

Thought this an interesting question - don't know if anyone would have a clue to the answer or if it's ever been researched but I was wondering is there a particular record that is known for having the most versions released (by the same artist, same original recording)- LP stereo, LP mono, edited version, etc.

2. Rick B.

Rick B. Senior Member

Pet Sounds - Beach Boys comes to mind. It has been released in mono, stereo, DVD-A, and as vocals-only without instruments - perhaps more?

Also Machine Head - Deep Purple - stereo, CD-4 quadraphonic, SACD and DVD-A.

3. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

The Pet Sounds Box has the album vocals only, instrumental only, new stereo remix and original mono.

Add the DVD-A you mention and we have five.

How about Rubber Soul (five also): US mono, US stereo, UK mono, UK stereo, CD stereo remix.

4. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Who's Next and Tommy will be runners up, before you know it, along with Ogden's Nut Gone Flake, and maybe some Yardbirds albums...

5. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

John, we need to add the Dexterized US Stereo as well.

mud-:D

6. John B

I mentioned the US stereo. Are there two different ones? :confused:

7. vex

vex New Member

Well, there is Beatles' "Help!"

1. 7" Single
    2. 7" EP
    3. Mono LP (original UK track listing)
    4. Stereo LP (original UK track listing)
    5. Mono LP (bastardized US track listing)
    6. Stereo LP (bastardized US track listing)
    7. 35mm Film
    8. Playtape (4-track cartridge)
    9. 8-track cartridge
    10. Reel Tape (mono)
    11. Reel Tape (stereo)
    12. Cassette
    13. CD
    14. VHS
    15. Laserdisc
    16. DVD

There may be both mono and stereo versions of some of these formats that I am not aware of. There may also be UK/US track list versions of some of these formats that I am not aware of. Either way, the list is going to expand...

Also, I'm not sure but the movie may have been released on Betamax and CED formats...

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Yes. One with more reverb "The Dexterized Version" and one without.

Ain't life grand?

mud-:D

9. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

I'll echo those sentiments!

Bob:D

10. vex

vex New Member

Machine head was also released in the SQ quad format (in Australia, at least).

11. John B

:laugh: :laugh:

12. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Pet Sounds versions

There's also the Pet Sounds duophonic LP, the different Mike Love/Brian Wilson bridges on Wouldn't It Be Nice (on the two versions of the Pet Sounds stereo/mono CDs mastered about a year apart). And, of course, Steve's DCC version, the 1972 Reprise/Brother double with Carl and the Passions-So Tough and the single LP Reprise version!

Question: Is there any appreciable difference between the 1972 PS Reprise mono mix and other mono mixes?

13. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Pet Sounds versions

And for Wouldn't It Be Nice, alternate introductory Brian vocals (shriller), most notably on Made In the USA.

14. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I know of at least 5 different versions of Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On":

The original LP
    The old 80's cd
    A version I bought around '94-'95 with a slipcase and booklet but no bonus tracks
    The "Deluxe" edition with the orginal mix and a live concert recording
    Yet another release from last year with a few mono mixes as bonus tracks.

I also have to think that Jimi Hendrix has a few albums that would fit this category. There was a time where it seemed like "Are You Experienced" was re-released every year. Some with bonus tracks, some without. Some UK, some US. Some were authorized by the Hendrix family. Some were not. Some on CD. Some on LP. Some on both CD and LP.

15. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Nothing to do with this thread, but I wanted to give a :thumbsup: to RickH's avatar! Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

16. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Um.. Blonde on Blonde? Mono mix, UK stereo mix, US stereo mix, CD stereo mix, SACD stereo mix, SACD surround mix.

17. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The US and UK mono also differ according to Roger Ford. Check out http://bobdylan.com/links/.

18. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

There were a gazillion versions of 'High School USA' by Tommy Facenda - does that count?

Bob:D

19. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe it was the UK and US monos I was talking about. I remember reading in Roger's page some time ago that the UK got what appeared to be some earlier (ie. 'rougher') mixes.

20. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

No, you're right about there being different stereo mixes. BOB was remixed a few years after it came out so there are 2 different stereo mixes.

21. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

Hi all. Moody Blues: Days of future passed. Mono mix, original stereo mix, stereo remix, quad open reel, DTS (same as quad remix). Regards Todd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.