Recording 'All Things Must Pass'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

MOJO has great articles from time to time...Thanks!

2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Bull ****!

3. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

It does, I just don't fall for that "Indian music is much more serious than our music" c**p. Western music made him what he was. He did Bangladesh because it was Bangladesh, he never sang for the homeless in Oxfordshire (at least not that I know of).
    I'm not saying he was incapable of being generous, he surely was, I don't like how he considered himself cursed for being famous instead of blessed for being loved by millions. I have tremendous respect for the craftsman he was but I hardly ever listen to anything he ever recorded after ATMP (although George Harrison is a great album).

Huck Caton likes this.
  4. GregorSamsa

GregorSamsa Forum Resident

So inventing the modern benefit concert means less because it was for people from another part of the world? That's ridiculous.

5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Are you sure you mean "many" fans? Reading your posts make me think you really mean just only yourself. Many fans alienated? Never heard this before and doubt it.

6. Parlourphone

Parlourphone New Member

I think George gained far more personal satisfaction from having done it than the people in Bangladesh did.

As for claiming Stan is saying a benefit concert means less because it is for people in another part of the world; that is the most desperate retort I have heard for a long time as an attempt to wriggle out of the extremely salient point being made. Why would a homeless person in Oxfordshire be less deserving of help than someone in Bangladesh? To assert that helping someone from the former place is less valid an ambition because it's not as exotic or mysterious as the latter place, is to be what's blooming ridiculous. I don't see what possible cogent adult argument can possibly claim otherwise.

Anyway, I often wonder why this forum is called "Music Corner", but always seems to require its participants to become versed in the art of engaging in "Soapbox Corner".

7. victor arena

victor arena New Member

Leng is wrong

8. misko

misko Forum Resident

He ( and Olivia ) certainly did plenty for all those suffering children in Romania. 331/3 is also a great album.

9. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

The most striking thing I see in the article is the notion that George Harrison, of all men, would be the least bit anxious about playing with "master players".
    I suppose from a certain perspective, no matter how big somebody gets, they can't get TOO big.....

10. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

If this is true you would think you would hear his old lady howling on something on the album. I wouldn't think she would have let him be involved unless she got a microphone to squeal into too.
    And I don't remember hearing her anywhere on the album.

showtaper likes this.
  11. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

Isn't it?

12. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

As long as we're at it, any opinions on the recent remaster of All Things Must Pass?

PS: Always liked Apple Scruffs, probably the most lightweight song on ATMP but a catchy little ditty nonetheless.
    Lightweight meaning subject matter compared to the rest of the songs not musically.

13. victor arena

victor arena New Member

That's because John and Paul made hime so self conscience about his guitar playing that he was a bit insecure.

14. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I don't think they made him feel that way, I think he was just one of those guys who did feel that way. He never seemed to be much of an extrovert. There are some people who the world in general intimidates them.
    Although playing in a band with McCartney would be a bit intimidating for anyone, they guy could play about anything that makes music and is a great guitarist himself.
    It is just a bit odd that someone who had reached the position of respect Mr Harrison enjoyed in rock culture would be intimidated by others.
    It goes to show you that down inside people are still just people, and no doubt every musician on the planet walks into situations that overwhelm them a bit.

15. wim1958

wim1958 Forum Resident

A lot of musicians from that period have faded memories, so don t trust every opinion.

16. victor arena

victor arena New Member

They constantly critisized his playing and rejected his songs. Lennon out right rejected a beautiful song like isn't it a pity. Why? This would make anyone self conscious.George martin was producer, he should have known a quality song when he heard it.

17. victor arena

victor arena New Member

I have read articles from Gary Wright and Bobby Whitlock and even though they are supposed to be the principle keyboard players on the album, niether one mentions the other on individual songs. They only mention Billy Preston. I think Bobby has Gary playing on a few and Gary never mentions Bobby at all. Just odd. Gary Brooker says he played only on Wah-Wah and MSL. Help us out Bobby.Also Alan White says he played Drums on Wah-Wah. MSL, and about 5 other of the best songs. Bobby has him on one.Frampton I think is hallucinating.

18. victor arena

victor arena New Member

19. victor arena

victor arena New Member

Reading Bobby's auto biography there are contradictions with what he says above.We'll never know who played what. At least we know the guitars.

20. sami

sami Mono still rules

Absolutely priceless.

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident

Very interesting

22. victor arena

victor arena New Member

Isn't that Alan White?

23. victor arena

victor arena New Member

It's Ringo AND Jim Gordon

24. victor arena

victor arena New Member

Has anyone ever asked Bobby if he and Eric ever gave a thought of asking George to join the Dominos

25. victor arena

victor arena New Member

Leng has many errors. He is missing many of Whitlocks contributions. I wouldn't trust that list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.