Recording error on Tascam CD-RW900SL

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nick_G, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick_G

Nick_G Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone? Is this referring to the disc reading speed? :confused:

2. Nick_G

Bumping up again.

3. Nick_G

Surely someone can elaborate on these settings on the Tascam?

I shall keep bumping this thread up until I find out more...

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I am not aware of any settings other than selecting the input source (digital or
    analog) for recording on the Tascam.

5. Nick_G

Well I was wondering if it related to the reading speed as this can be set to fast for scratched or damaged discs to improve playback. How this would affect recording I don't know.

Hopefully namahealani may be able to elaborate.

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Nick, although I'm not familiar with the Tascam I am familiar with many other CD recorders and other than the input selection and whether you want auto track ids, (I'm not sure the Tascam even does this), I can't think of any settings you need to make beforehand.

I still think your problems all stem from a bad batch of HHB CDRs, get some TYs and enjoy your machine, or sell it to me for £250.:laugh:

7. boweevil

boweevil New Member

I know this is an old post but I have experienced this problem also but only on Gold Disc. I did not have a problem with non gold disc.

I have tried the following Gold disc by HBB, Quantegy, Apogee & Mitsui only to find that they were all made by Mitsui Chemicals. For some reason when they got to about the middle or end of the recording they would crap out.

So don't know if the Tascam CD-RW900 just doesn't support Gold Disc. The Gold disc do alright on the computer. Or is it that this particular recorder has a defect and having problems with these disc. Are any of you not having problems with Gold Disc?

8. Nick_G

Well it's been fine with the high-speed HHB discs which I think use the same dyes and gold layer as the original CD-R80s I had problems with. So I can only assume the recorder prefers high-speed media.

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Let me add my two cents to this old thread. A few years ago I bought one of those TASCAM CD-RW900's and it worked fine on all discs, until one day. I was making a CD-R needledrop of some old mono 45's and when I do this, I sometimes use the "auto fader" on the remote, since trying to fade both of those tiny separate volume faders, can be a pain in the butt. When you use the "auto fader" it automatically fades the song, then puts the machine and the disc, into "pause" mode, so you can just hit play again, whenever you're ready for your next recording. Well, while it was in "pause" mode, I started to hear the machine make some odd little noises, as if the laser was trying to locate something. It apparently was, because then all my discs started getting "errors". Since then, I've stopped using the same blanks that I used to (SONY, MEMOREX and PHILLIPS). Now I'm using TAIYO YUDEN and MAXELL, for the most part and I haven't had any "errors" since, although, from time to time, I can hear that laser making those old strange noises.

How long is TASCAM's warranty on one of these guys and are they pretty good at replacing the laser mech, if this kind of thing happens?

I was kind of bumming about this unit, especially after all of the positive posts that I read about it here, before I bought it.

Chris C

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Usually, if the laser goes bad on one of these units, the whole drive gets replaced. It's a Teac made CD-RW data drive. If bad within warranty, they're good about replacing that. Tascam customer service is excellent. If I recall, they have a year warranty. My CD-RW 750 doesn't like Kodak Gold Discs in that DVD style case. But the disc apparently is warped. My PC doesn't like them either. I have never had issues out of Apogee Reference Archive Gold CD-R media or Mobile Fidelity UltraDisc Gold CD-R media. Bulk unlabeled MAM-A media also has worked reliably for me.

11. Nick_G

Bumping up a really old thread but I bought some more 1x speed HHB CD-R80s and I'm still getting these recording errors coming up occasionally. The high speed HHB discs never went wrong but they haven't been available on their store for some months. I have noticed the motor winds itself up a lot more when the laser is doing it's OPM adjustments and can't help wondering if there's a link. It doesn't do this with other CD-Rs.

What is it about these discs the Tascam doesn't like?

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Try different media. These discs have some sort of issue this machine does not like. I tried one of the HHb 1x speed CD-R 80 discs in my Tascam CD-RW 750. Same issue with it. This machine works with darned near any CD-R or RW I put in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.