Recording help

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jimmy Disco D, May 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident Thread Starter

Disclaimer : Despite using a pc daily I’m still a bit of a Luddite.

I’ve just bought a new PC, a HP all in one, mainly for doing art and graphics stuff.

It has occurred to me that it might be fun to record a few vinyl mixes for listening to in the car and when I’m out and about.

The problem is that I’ve never attempted to record my mixes to my computer, I’m sure it’s fairly simple but I haven’t got a clue.

Ive got my 1210’s going into my Yamaha as501 via a pioneer djm 400 mixer. I’ve also just downloaded Audacity.

It seems that the simplest thing would be to use the rec out outputs from the Yamaha going straight into the audio input into my pc, would this work? If so, what cable would I need, if not, what’s the simplest way of doing it.

I’m not overly concerned about the best audio quality, as I said, it’s just mainly for the car.

Many thanks.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

By "vinyl mixes", I take it you mean you'd like to perform needledrops of vinyl records.

Since the Yamaha has an internal phono preamp, I don't believe what you'd like to do would be possible as there is no way to output the signal that I can think of but maybe someone else here would have an idea that'd work? The coax and optical jacks are for input only so that wouldn't work either.

I believe your only recourse would be to buy an external phono preamp which would allow you to connect its output to your soundcard via an RCA-to-3.5" cable. Unless you happen to get one with a USB output like the NAD PP4. In that case, you'd connect a USB cable from it to your PC. However, truth be told, your Yamaha's embedded phono preamp might perform better than the NAD.

3. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

Yes, it will work provided you use a RCA-to-3.5mm cable.
    Also you have to use the REC that is not selected as the input.
    I recorded with a TASCAM connected to my A-S801 line 3 REC and my TT preamp input into line 2.
    You will need to control the input volume at your PC. (My TASCAM DR-1 limits the input signal amplitude.)

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Glad an additional component such as a dedicated phono preamp won't be needed! Thanks for the correction. :righton:

5. Jimmy Disco D

Cheers.

I actually do have an external pre-amp, but when I've got my mixer in use it's not connected - The mixer acts as a preamp and is connected directly into my "line 3".

If I did that, I would only hear what I'm recording through the PC not my Yamaha and main speakers though, is that correct. If I'm mixing records, I'd need to hear them properly.

6. Jimmy Disco D

Great, I didn't know that, I'll give it a go now and report back.

Cheers.

7. Martin Takamine

The Pioneer DJM 400 mixer has the phono preamp.

8. kamchatka

kamchatka Forum Resident

You could run the cables directly from the Pioneer RCA outputs to your computer. I don't think there's anything to be gained from running it through the Yamaha.

Just to be clear, though: I assume you're not just digitizing your vinyl here, but that you'll be actively DJing in some way (perhaps with two turntables), and recording as you mix. In that case, all you need is a stereo RCA-to-1/8" cable running from the Pioneer to the PC.

But if you're just talking about digitizing vinyl without any DJing/manipulation, I would leave out the Pioneer and hook up the turntable to the Yamaha phono inputs. I'm pretty sure the Pioneer sends all audio through an AD/DA conversion, due to its internal processing... which might be fine for DJing, but it's not the best thing for listening to or recording records. And I think the Yamaha has a good phono stage (haven't heard that one myself, but Yamaha knows a thing or two about phono stages).

9. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

My phono preamp is also an analog to digital converter, so it is easy. Unfortunately, it isn't made any more, but there are other options out there. You'll also need some software - I recommend Vinyl Studio. It is worth the price!

10. Jimmy Disco D

Good idea. I'll give it a go.

Correct.

That's fine, I just want to record myself DJing.

OK, I tried Martins suggestion and I've tried kamchatka's suggestions with the RCA to 3.5mm cable into my PC (tried from both the output on my amp and my mixer).

Although it hasn't actually resulted in any success, something has happened. In Audacity when I clicked on the "monitoring" bar before I tried these suggestions nothing happened (i.e no input). Now when I click on it a signal is briefly indicated, only a quick flash, but it disappears straight away.

11. luckybaer

What I am going to suggest will cost $300, but will likely make the process more enjoyable.

First, purchase a preamp that is also an Analog-to-Digital converter w/ USB output. Here's an affordable option: NAD PP 4 Digital Phono Preamplifier with USB Interface-Audio Advisor

Second, purchase Vinyl Studio - this software makes it SO easy to digitize your vinyl and manage the files. It also comes with good things like noise reduction (hum, hiss, and rumble filters, along with click removal).

You'd need a good USB cable to run from the front of the phono preamp (at least the one I linked to has the USB out on the front panel...) to your PC.

Follow the instructions that came with the phono preamp and, even more importantly, follow the instructions in Vinyl Studio. You'll be digitizing that vinyl in minutes!

NAD PP 4 Digital Phono Preamp: $229.00
    Vinyl Studio PRO: $49.95
    USB A to USB B cable (also known as a printer cable): Amazon has these for $5.83 (I recommend stepping up to something better if you plan on digitizing vinyl regularly, but this will get you started).

TOTAL: $284.78

12. kamchatka

kamchatka Forum Resident

You may need to go to "sound settings" in Windows, and change your input to "line in."

13. Jimmy Disco D

Thanks for your post, you've provided me with plenty to think about. If I can't figure out how to get my current set up working I may go down this route, I wasn't really planning on throwing any more money at it for now but I'll see how it goes.

luckybaer likes this.
  14. Martin Takamine

Assuming PC means Windows 10 OS then right click speaker icon (bottom right task bar), select Open Sound settings then under Input select Device properties then adjust the volume slider. Do these steps while recording to Audacity to verify any effect on input signal.

15. Strat-Mangler

There is, otherwise the signal's not amplified at all.

16. kamchatka

kamchatka Forum Resident

The Pioneer DJ mixer has a built-in phono preamp, and outputs a line level signal.

17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Why is there a need for this? He’s using two turntables and a DJ mixer.

beat_truck likes this.
  18. luckybaer

Yeah. Why bother with an another option? I just re-read the post and noticed he said he doesn't care about quality. I'm sure his needle drops will sound just fine in the car.

19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It’s just that the phono preamp section is redundant as the mixer’s phono preamps must be used.

20. luckybaer

I wasn't sure what his config was all about, because I'm no DJ. Hopefully he can get it to work with a minimum of time, effort, and money!

I had tried doing it by going directly to my sound card and using Audacity, but I could never make it work as seamlessly as I would have liked, so when I bought a separate pre-amp, I snagged one with Analog-to-Digital capability and never looked back.

Synthfreek likes this.
  21. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Audacity is a decent free digital audio workstation. I really don't think you need to pay for software for what you are wanting to do.
    Good luck, and enjoy the process!

22. Jimmy Disco D

Thanks for the answers, I’ve tried everything that’s been suggested with the equipment I’ve got available.

I’m starting to think that my issue could be that the headphone/mic combination socket on my PC won’t accept the audio signal.

I think that I’m going to have to try using one of the USB port as an input next.

Is there anything I can buy to connect my amp’s RCA output to the USB port relativity cheaply? I’ve seen the Behringer UFO / UCA converters but they aren’t available anywhere in the uk at the moment, for reason they’re all out of stock or on pre-order.

23. kamchatka

kamchatka Forum Resident

One more thing you might try: in Windows, go to your privacy settings and look for "microphone." There might be something that says "allow apps to access microphone." Make sure that's turned on. (I know you're not using an actual microphone, but this setting may also apply to line input).

Also, in Audacity you might try selecting different input options, to see if any of them work. Sometimes they're worded in a way that is unclear, i.e. "realtek audio" vs "line in."

In the long run, though, I think some sort of usb audio interface is a worthy investment. It will definitely give you much better sound, both for recording and playback. I'm not sure about alternatives as cheap as the Behringer, though.

24. Jimmy Disco D

I took your advice and got hold of a used esi U24 xl. The good news is that it works a treat! I’ve only listened to the results on my PC speakers so far, so I can’t really comment on the quality of my recordings, but it should be good enough for the car.

Thanks all for the replies.

kamchatka and Exotiki like this.
  25. Jimmy Disco D

Well, I've just finished my first mix, happy days.

I'm not sure on the forum etiquette (I'll remove the link if it's frowned upon), but if anyone's interested in a space travel and science fiction themed mix of music and audio snippets it's over here. (only an MP3 though)

The WAV audio quality isn't actually bad to my ears, certainly good enough for the car and my phone, which is what I intended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.