Recording Setup

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by metanote, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metanote

metanote Member Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a basic setup that I use to listen and digitize my vinyl collection. I'm looking for suggestions to improve the quality of sound so the resulting digital recording quality improves and recordings are consistent.

I primarily collect old used records (1950s-1970s) and my collection includes 78s. Cleaning is the first line of defense here and I use Spin-Clean and am looking into an RCM.

My setup:
    • Technics SL-1210 MK2 turntable
    • Nagaoka MP110
    • Rotel RC-960BX Pre-Amp
    • (2) Rotel RB-960BX Amps
    • ART USB Phono Plus
    My recording process is Technics > USB Phono Pre-Amp > Audacity (Windows Laptop)

I use only one of the amps as a stereo power amplifier configuration. I am aware of the options for bridged or bi-amped configurations but I don't think that would affect recording as the turntable connects directly to USB Phono. There is a source for pre-amp on the USB phono but I haven't been able to get it to work so that Audacity picks up the audio when recording.

The USB Phono Pre-Amp is not bad in terms of quality but maybe can improve when it comes to consistency. It has an LED to warn of clipping and a knob to adjust to GAIN/TRIM. This varies per record so I manually have to adjust this per record or clipping can occur. I am wondering if 'normalize' option in Audacity removes the need to do this for every record but I'm thinking it wouldn't. If the songs clips during recording the audio is lost before it reaches audacity.

My budget is around 2,000 Euros.

Thanks for any suggestions or tips to improve my workflow!

2. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Man, 2000 euros will buy you a hell of an upgrade no matter how you decide to do it.

Personally, I'd upgrade the cart and the DAC - I'm not a fan of ART gear in general. For this much money, you could add a dedicated phono preamp - it's up to you whether you think this table and cart are worth that

metanote and bever70 like this.
  3. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

From the ART USB Phono Plus website:
    "Front mounted gain control and Signal/Clip LED allows easy optimization of a wide range of analog input sources."
    This is so the input level does not overload the ART phono. Set it once for your turntable so it doesn't overload.

Yes, records will vary in their average level. You will need to set the recording levels in Audacity so they are the highest they can be without clipping - so you get the benefits of low noise and no distortion. Recording with the levels set low and then boosting the recording with normalization will not be as good quality.

4. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

For 2k, you can get a real phono preamp (eg Lehmann black cube used), a good DAC around 1k, and spend the rest on a cartridge upgrade. Wow, you will make a big step here. Resolution, dynamics, detail, the whole deal. Don't be surprised if you will also hear a lot more typical vinyl problems in your needledrops (IGD, sibilence, groove wear)... can't have your cake and eat it too.

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

My system is basic: clean records, good cartridge/pre-amp straight to a Tascam cd recorder. I record as I play them (real time) and manually set the tracks (just a button push between songs,)
    and I have a Loki equalizer between the pre-amp and cd recorder to adjust the eq (if I think it is needed). Have made hundreds of needle-drops, and they sound as good (sometimes better,)
    than the vinyl.

6. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I agree with the change of cartridge. I had a nag mp110 before, and made several vinylrips & needledrops. Only recently I changed to another cart because I found out the mp110 wasn't doing it for me : a lot of records sounded to dark, muffled, no sparkle. I got an ortofon mc3-turbo. BIG change! Not only did the sound of my records improve immensely, the surface noise also went way down. Now, when I listen back to one of those vinyl rips that was made with the mp110, it sounds as if someone has hanged some heavy drapes over my speakers, pretty awfull actually. So if you have that kind of money to spend, definitely get a new/higher grade cartridge ! After that get a good phono pre-amp, something in the region of $500 should get you all you need for a very good sound. Beyond this price the difference will be be small imho and my experience. The Phono pre amp wil get the best out of your new cartridge (take a model with different settings if you should ever switch to another cart).

metanote likes this.
  7. metanote

The ART was my first investment so I went somewhat cheap. It's served me well but I feel it's time to upgrade. Why a dedicated phono preamp instead of using the Rotel preamp? Is it just for an interface to record for the laptop?

8. metanote

I have actually switched this a bit so that the turntable goes through the preamp first, then the ART USB. I do see that the recording level needs to be tweaked prior to post-prod. Thanks for confirming!

qwerty likes this.
  9. metanote

Sorry, this may seem a bit daft - why would I need a phono preamp and a DAC? Is my Rotel preamp wasted here because it doesn't have an interface to my laptop to record? It does have a phono preamp.

Thanks!

10. metanote

So with the Tascam, it rips from vinyl to CD or is there an option for formats like .mp3?

11. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Sorry I meant ADC, eg an audio interface by RME, Lynx. Now your ART is doing the AD. For best results I'd go
    Technics - standalone phono preamp - ADC - computer

If you want to use your Rotel's phono preamp instead of a standalone one that's fine of course. Then you can take a pre out to an audio interface (ADC).

12. Chris Schoen

It records to the cdr as a .wav file. Not sure about an .mp3 option, as I never would never consider a lesser quality needle-drop (for myself.)
    When I load my cdr .wav file into my iTunes library it converts it to mp4 automatically. Once you have the .wav file, you can do anything with it,
    convert to other formats, edit with de-click software, eq, whatever. My vinyl is usually minty condition, so I just do a straight recording to cd-r, and done.

13. bever70

First, get a better cartridge!

Chris Schoen likes this.
  14. Chris Schoen

Yes, otherwise you will have to make new needle-drops all over again when you DO get a better cart.

PhilBiker likes this.
  15. metanote

Thanks very much for sharing. I will definitely upgrade the cart and phono preamp.

16. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Yes, definitely upgrade the source, your turntable/phono pre and cartridge. Audacity displays the waveform as you record, plus the meters on screen. Play the loudest passage on the LP, and set your max level to about -1dB... a tick may clip, but can be removed manually or via a click program.

17. metanote

A little overwhelming with all the options out there but I think I have a general idea. Is it recommended to have one device for phono preamp and ADC like maybe a Thorens MM 008? I'd love to lose the laptop and replace with a standalone recorder. Not sure I need a CD recorder but something to record the .wav, ideallywifi-connected for easy transfer.

18. bever70

The Thorens mm008adc (there is also a mm008) : Thorens MM-008 Analog to Digital Converter (ADC)
    The adc function isn't very well reveived apparently so I don't know if this would be your best option. As for the laptop....I have a standalone recorder, but after recording several albums (on the harddisk of this recorder) I transfer the .wav files to a usb stick and then work on them (splitting tracks, naming, etc...) on my laptop using Audacity. So even with a standalone recorder you would still need a laptop or pc I suppose, so you might as well record directly to laptop.

19. metanote

I guess I have more homework to do then regarding ADC. :)

I have a dedicated old laptop currently that just records using audacity which I then transfer over network to another PC to do tracks,naming,etc. It's the least of my worries but I wouldn't mind something more robust.

20. bever70

Well, I had exactly the same before I got my standalone unit, an old laptop used only for recording and transferring files (i used wavelab at the time instead of audacity now). Pretty handy as that laptop was always sitting near my system so I didn't have to do any switching/setting up which would be necessary with a laptop used for other stuff....

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Where in the house do you have it set up? Basement might keep less street noises and trucks from causing extra vibrations...unless you're living right next to a coal mine, I suppose. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.