Records as Investments

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Bradd, Mar 10, 2024.

1. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

While i don't think records will become investments, I do think that records may eventually (sadly) become the only physical media format within a decade. This will keep their value growth as a collectable.

2. nht2.9

nht2.9 Forum Resident

I don’t know about records as an investment. I use to collect original Fillmore, Avalon and other 60s posters. I quit collecting them because the people who really want them are dying off. So I will need to sell my collection to another collector or donate them to a museum or some other collection.
    My father passed away a few years ago with quite a collection of 78s and a collector gave us no more than $10 a piece for them. But on the other had I had Spider-Man 1 through 86. I was told I could have sent a kid to college on what they would sell for.

3. Booyaa73

Booyaa73 Often wrong, never in doubt.

Nothing wrong with it. If it's your money and your records, do what you like.

4. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

5x return? Pretty sure my VG+ double RL of Led Zeppelin 2 or my sealed banned cover Appetite for Destruction will deliver that based on what I paid for them.

not that I bought them as investments.

5. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

And 99.99 percent of the rest are overpriced.

6. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time Thread Starter

Years ago the US cd of Hank Mobley’s Straight No Filter was very rare. One copy sold sold on eBay for $100. A few years later BN reissued it and the price of that cd crashed into the single digits.

7. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

THAT is what I'm talking about!?!?!

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I've seen an uptick in graded records offered at auctions. The Heritage auctions are increasingly offering more. At first it was mostly sealed records that were being graded and encased but now I'm seeing used records. A lot of this will be propped by everyone just agreeing on the premise.

9. *JD*

*JD* Currently Composing The Next Shot

The only investment I make in my records...is time !

Dave likes this.
  10. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Popular Chuck is correct......bloated over-priced everywhere.

11. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

The one issue collectors need to consider is if you have a substantial investment in a music collection, it needs to be insured against natural disaster and theft. We had an apartment fire in 1985 and missed getting impacted by tornados on Easter 2020 by nor more than 4-5 miles (where homes were leveled in some cases.
    All those vintage, rare LPs and boxed sets are irreplaceable but you might find an adjuster who agrees with auction citations if you can prove what you owned.

That's a huge advantage of investing in stock, since certificates or no longer used, they can't be destroyed or stolen, though there is always the danger of the investing house making the trades going bankrupt and creditors being paid with your investments.

12. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Too many insurance people have been burned on collectibles (records included). Trucks driven away with huge stock from shows that ended up with their friends and unloaded.

13. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Just a side effect of capitalism. People need a means to an end, even if that means exploiting and commodifying every single thing they can. It’s sad but I understand the reasoning.

14. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

The high prices on records that are not really rare is a big problem. Go to any record show and laugh at the "wall monsters" and commons in the racks at ridiculous prices....at the end of the show they are still there cept Fleetwood Mac albums that sold millions.....they leave in the bags with Pink Floyd albums.

Cronverc likes this.
  15. Records have been considered investments by many for 45+ years.

16. Bradd

Ken Micallef, who helps out the Jazz Record Cdnter with their auctions, snd @Mazzy also made videos about the Blue Train auction, both of which are worth watching.

17. Bradd

18. *JD*

19. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Leaving along the fact that this US pressing is actually common as dirt, they are not even any good. I used to have two of them, one with butterfly Elektra label and later pressing with red Elektra label. They both sounded like crap, just terrible with no bass whatsoever, most likely high generation tape copies were used for the local US mastering.
    One of this LP's I sold for pennies to a record store and did not even care, just to get rid of it. Another one just went straight to trash. Those US pressings of “A Night At The Opera” are probably ones of the worst sounding LP's I've ever heard.

20. *JD*

What is the most valuable LP in your collection? And by valuable I mean monetized value.
    And yes, I know that only applies if and when someone is willing to pay that price. However, indulge me.

For me it might be either my (full band) signed copy of ASIA's first LP from their first concert of their first tour, The Beatles White Album in white vinyl or Kratfwerk Ralf & Florian. All NM/NM LP's. Values approx. $200'ish

21. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Here's one, and here's another thread on this topic.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    *JD* likes this.
  22. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

He certainly has the right to run his business however he chooses and yes, he has an incentive to push this narrative. Why else would anyone ever buy his sealed Fleetwood Mac S/T (1975) listed at $499.99? As soon as someone opens it, it’s worth less than one tenth of that.

23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Years ago I bought a 50 cent thrift copy VG/VG+ STEREO KOB. I played it for years and definitely got my 50 cents worth. 7 or 8 years ago a friend is going thru my LP's and says...oh, man, you have a stereo Kind Of Blue! I'll give you $100 right now! I thought for a few seconds and said...sure. The profiteer in me said... well done... but, the music lover in me regrets that decision every time it comes to mind.

24. Bigsweetc6

Bigsweetc6 Forum Resident

In Groove Mike is the Scrooge McDuck of the VC and its hoarding, greedy dealers like him that raise prices for everyone. He’s literally bragged on his videos about a buying out a dealer at a record fair who had really cool affordable OG Jazz for sale so he could raise the prices and resell before any of the actual buyers even came in. He also bragged about going to a shop in Phoenix who made a similar mistake of putting out some stellar Jazz titles at fair mid market or slightly below market prices and he buys the entire collection before other customers had a chance. He kept saying how it was so underpriced like he’s righting some cosmic wrong, and can jack up the prices. To me, that’s sleazy business practices and people who treat their LPs like investments are ruining his hobby. Now any good old OG, whether it’s Mint or VG- people want tip top dollar. I’m seeing records advertised with multiple skips priced in the hundreds. Gone are the days of the starter LP I guess.

Cronverc and BornToBoogie like this.
  25. Bigsweetc6

Bigsweetc6 Forum Resident

I’ll see records that are underpriced but genres I don’t like and think I could sell this but then I leave it behind because I truly hope maybe somebody who actually wants to listen to and enjoy it can benefit from the good deal instead. And I think if all collectors act like flippers then no one would ever get a good deal because we’d all be trying to flip everything. I try to practice good record karma to the best of my ability.

BornToBoogie likes this.