Records noisier after cleaning - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LivingForever, Jul 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

This works for me and it is inexpensive.

2. lazydawg58

And here is a homebrew record cleaner formula that works well for me.

3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I don't drink and, apparently, you have no sense of humor.

Phil Thien likes this.
  4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I use a little of the Audio Technica cleaning isopropyl alcohol on the stylus from time to time. And that Benz Micro Gold really gets through to the detail in the track. Totally agree with this post.

5. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I have records I know were previously cleaned with poorer quality tap water, and you can hear the hard water deposits in the groove.

These records resist cleaning. Vacuum RCM, ultrasonic, you name it, they make very minimal headway on this sort of noise.

What does help tremendously is simply playing the album. Each time I play one, I wipe it down with the Audio Technica pad and alcohol, and the stylus removes a little more of whatever the tap water left behind.

People, please don't use tap water on your albums without thoroughly rinsing them with distilled. It may show some early improvement, but in the long run you're going to regret it.

6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Never have! The occasional wipe with an anti-static brush and the stylus cleaner I mentioned. Works a treat.

7. lazydawg58

Distilled water is less than $1 a gallon. I suggest getting a basin and don't ever use tap water at any stage of the cleaning process.

8. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I don't think I understood your humor, I thought you were simply saying .87 cents was entirely too much to pay for the 4 record set in new condition. Just goes to show how the written word can be so easily misunderstood, my bad!:righton:

9. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Maybe I should have left a ;). I was saying just the opposite; for 87 cents, you got a steal. All good.

10. Paulx101

Paulx101 Well-Known Member

I have set up a ultrasonic cleaner, vacuum set up, and it took a bit of trial & error to get perfect results. It sounds to me that the records are not rinsed properly, I was suffering the same problem but found after vacuuming i needed to spray the records with di ionized water and rub the water through with one of them rectangular velvet block record cleaners, this seemed to work, Although i now use only di ionized water & a splash of ifotol in the ultrasonic (i previously used a 80%/20% water/alcohol solution) I have found I don't need to do the wash, so i put the noise down to alcohol or whatever cleaning agent being used not being completely removed by the vacuum. One other suggestion do you use a record clamp, If so play a cleaned record without it, I bought a record clamp and although it was covered in resin it was a great lump of metal and caused havoc with my cartridge/stylus

LivingForever likes this.
  11. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I have never used such services.
    But i have bern SUCCESSFULLY
    Cleaning records for many years.
    If the record is noisier than before then
    Dirt has been loosened, but not removed.
    If you would care to post me such a record i will clean it and see what the outcome is.
    I would not charge.
    Just like to help a fellow audiophile
    Out
    It it silences the offender i can explain
    How i do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.