Records that have gone down in price

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by seed_drill, Apr 4, 2023.

1. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'd certainly like to see more of those in the midwest.

phillyal1 and McLover like this.
  2. Bigsweetc6

Bigsweetc6 Forum Resident

I’m not so sure about that. The rare desirable psych has stayed steady or in most cases gone way up! Check out prices for original July, Gandalf, the Freeborne, Plastic Cloud, etc. etc Maybe mainstream psych like Strawberry Alarm Clock or Jefferson Airplane has decreased but all the other stuff is sky high man.

3. Bigsweetc6

Bigsweetc6 Forum Resident

Pretty sure it’s digital.

4. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Seeing a lot of Emerson, Lake and Palmer in the cheap bins -- US pressings. I would probably buy UK pressings if they happen to show up.

joelee likes this.
  5. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

At a record fair recently one seller had an entire section labelled “Rod Stewart £1”. I wasn’t tempted.

Man at C&A and BEBOPALULA like this.
  6. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

Make sure they haven't got any Vertigo swirls on them... made that mistake before ;)

7. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Curious to see if any of my record store owning friends move the Gordon Lightfoot records from the dollar bin. I'll bet they get sold in the next day or so.

ted321 and seed_drill like this.
  8. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Helen Reddy, Anne Murray, lesser known Carole King LPs.

audiomixer likes this.
  9. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

You're lucky you can pick up the Lightfoots easily over there. Last one I saw, Haverhill YMCA, 50p, was literally ragged, such a shame. Not sure he had much penetration here at all, never really see him mentioned in what's left of the credible UK music media. Perhaps there will be a spike now, a resurgence and greater awareness for younger generations of his music? I hope so.

phillyal1 likes this.
  10. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

Was Helen Reddy ever expensive? I've been wondering a lot about Anne Murray on vinyl, and was contemplating making a thread on here, but the angry cool music hipsters would only shout it down. Again, like poor ole Gordy, an artist you just don't run into over here. Never mentioned or clips played on the look back shows... apparently sold huge numbers though in some sectors.

64FALCON likes this.
  11. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

I have a boatload of Anne Murray 45 rpm "singles".

They're scattered all over my boxes full of 45's . . . but they're here. Somewhere.

They weren't worth much when I bought 'em circa 1999 and they probably still aren't now.

McLover likes this.
  12. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

I would want the late '70s and early '80s albums, for starters. Get a feel of her singin' and the arrangements, then perhaps expand from there. I literally only found out about her from looking on a user profile here :righton:

64FALCON likes this.
  13. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Start with the "Snowbird " album -- Seventies country-rock a la Ronstadt

seed_drill and McLover like this.
  14. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Folk artists have generally been slow sellers for decades. There are exceptions like John Prine and Townes Van Zant, but not many.

seed_drill and 64FALCON like this.
  15. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

Agreed, Marty Balin left the group to create Grootna, then Bodacious D.F. Then for whatever reason Spencer Dryden was replaced by Joey Covington. The 45 to come out on that lp was penned by Covington, called Pretty As You Feel. An ok song! But his other song, called "Thunk", yeow what a bowser that one was. Two years later he released his own solo lp, called Joe E Covington's Fat Fandango.

Brutal is the word.

seed_drill likes this.
  16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member Thread Starter

They’re the 70’s version of Alt. Country.

One dealer told me he mixed folk in with general rock to hopefully garner more attention.

phillyal1 likes this.
  17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member Thread Starter

When were those every more than bargain bin staples?

18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They haven't been significantly wanted for at least 30 years now. They've been constantly in cheap boxes since at least the early 1990s. I don't mean the rarer ones on vinyl, but any 70s and 80s McCartney album has been easy to find cheap for ages now, except perhaps Ram as that's had a resurgence and I don't see originals of Wild Life too often. Neither are worth a great deal though.

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The Moody Blues albums are cheap box regulars here in the UK too. Very little interest. A shame.

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

As noted, outside of a few names, folk music--even really good and really rare stuff--is a hard sell. The same thing holds true for country music in many parts of the US: Outside of a few names, crickets (and not the Buddy Holly type).

Certain artists you'd expect to be decent sellers are not: Joan Armatrading comes to mind. All dollar bin stuff. Same with Jesse Winchester and a lot of other critically acclaimed but bubbling under artists with a significant number of releases.

phillyal1 likes this.
  21. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Carly Simon records are in the dollar bins -- maybe if she had toured more, her records would be worth more.
    Saw her in 1980 -- just found her album she was promoting that year "Come Upstairs' -- from the FREE bin.
    The best song on the LP -- "Jesse', has less of the pseudo- New Wave sound of some of the others.

seed_drill likes this.
  22. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

See many Folkways records( despite their rarity ) in the dollar used bins -- where I bought my New Lost City Ramblers records !

McLover and kwadguy like this.
  23. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

DC5

phillyal1 likes this.
  24. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Moody Blues and Jethro Tull get no respect around here. I managed to collect the first seven Moody Blues on UK vinyl for dirt cheap, as well as clean US Jethro Tull copies for next to nothing.

phillyal1, ted321 and Dave like this.
  25. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

In my experience, the only one people want is Gord's Gold or something with the song they know. I don't work in a city store, but usually no one actually cares. Not a single person asked for him or Belafonte. I even put out a decent Carnegie Hall for cheap. It's just sitting around. With the older artists, we actually get asked more about having a CD than vinyl.

Man at C&A and phillyal1 like this.