Records you truly love in spite of genuinely awful sound

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by michael landes, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

anything by dead moon

JimD likes this.
  2. powelb

powelb Forum Resident

Wow. I found your quote searching about this album, as I was about to rave about it. I've just got the 2011 remaster, but comparing it to the 2001 version I was struck by how good even that sounded.

I wonder what could be different about our experiences, assuming we have the same actual versions. Can you describe what it is about the sound you don't like so I can see if I can focus in on that? Thanks!

JimD likes this.
  3. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Compare it to The Boatman's Call, which is probably the best sounding Cave album. The bass sounds thin on NMSWP, the separation of instruments on NMSWP is lacking, it's just a "thin" sounding album. (I'm not into all the audiophile jargon, so I'm not really sure how to put it.)

It's the same problem that Peter Murphy's Deep has. I just can't adjust the settings on my stereo to get a decent bass sound without making the other instruments sound like garbage too.

4. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident Thread Starter

keep looking for a better issue. The original vinyl sounded great to me. I'm hoping by now there is
    a decent sounding cd version released that you are not aware of. good luck hunting.

5. 905

905 Senior Member

Another mention for Springsteen's The River.

6. michael landes

If you love Exile in guyville as much as I, see if you can find the vinyl issued at the same time as
    original cd issue (about '92). I have both cd and vinyl issued at the time and to my ears the vinyl
    sounds much much better. I never listen to the cd version at all.

audiotom likes this.
  7. michael landes

True, but this is not an example of a bad sounding release. It was a Great sounding release. However,
    the re-issues have been a disgrace.

8. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

bob marley 30 years ago 2LP
    are you experienced Mono

Evan Egg likes this.
  9. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

Prodigal Stranger - Procol Harum (digital sonics at their worst)

zen likes this.
  10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Did we mention Fleetwood Mac's "Then Play On"?

I haven't even looked but I bet we did.

11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yeah, that one just seems...something. I guess P.A. systems were not as sophisticated and there was a lot more bleed from monitors and so on, but it still doesn't seem like the most stellar engineering effort. Especially from such a perfectionist artist.

Another murky album I love is Grand Funk Caught In The Act and come to think of it Live. Same PA-related issues maybe, but stunning performances.

12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

:agree:
    Hey, maybe Steve could rework some of these. Holy Diver sure sounded a lot better afterwards-I should think at least the first Rainbow albums should have some hope.

13. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

There is a lot of 1960s pop I love that's very thin sounding - The Archies, Strawbery Alarm Clock, 13th Floor Elevators and Chocolate Watchband, among many others. These guys got no money and were granted limited studio time. Give me a single was the order of the day, and often they were recorded in a day or two.

14. catman

catman Forum Resident

I personally love the sound of "Surrealistic Pillow", but I have read that others find it poorly recorded and over-reverbed.

15. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Try the Sundazed mono version of Surrealistic Pillow. It sounds great.

NOS300B likes this.
  16. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

Can't believe this thread has got to page six with no mention of Wild Honey by The Beach Boys. It sounds like the speakers were placed right in front of Brian's buzzing organ, while the backing vocals sound like they were recorded two towns over.

17. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The winner?? is Money Jungle by Ellington Mingus Roach

I agree also with the poster who said Procol Harum S/T

TonyG likes this.
  18. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

The Stooges - Raw Power
    Blue Oyster Cult - On Your Feet Or On Your Knees
    Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St.
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

19. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

20. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Have to disagree on that one although you are correct that the mono issue has much less reverb/echo. Sundazed made it sound bright in the treble unlike their mono Bathing At Baxters which has very natural sound. In fact the Sundazed mono Pillow would be a good entry here. (The original mono Pillow is Not harsh sounding BTW)

21. chodad

chodad Hodad

West Side Soul - Magic Sam

[​IMG]

22. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Paul Davis-Cool Night, Hall and Oates-Private Eyes. Both albums sound like they were recorded in the carpet showroom at Sears in 1981-and I love it!

23. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

David Bowie - The Next Day

My only major problem with the album. Whoever mastered it should get their ears checked.

EasterEverywhere and sunspot42 like this.
  24. tomd

tomd Senior Member

The Damned-Damned,Damned,Damned recorded very lo-Fi but performances are great!
    Naz Nomad and And The Nightmares (The Damned)-Give Daddy the Knife,Cindy would love to hear this remastered!

25. Is it true that somehow the master was damaged and there's no backup so, we're stuck with this one for eternity?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.