Recordshops in New York (Manhattan)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by drum_cas, Nov 25, 2019.

1. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello there,

This Christmas my family and I will be visiting New York. Really looking forward to this! Beside the tourist-must-go-spots, I would like to browse in some record stores. In the thread about the New York Meetup, there were soms shops mentioned, but also that some of them are already closed.
    My question; what stores are left in Manhattan? Which would be interesting for someone with a taste for progrock and Beatles? We stay in a hotel near Times Square, so in that neighbourhood would be great!

Greetz,
    Cas

2. Rosskolnikov

Rosskolnikov Designated Cloud Yeller

Not all that many left. Some good new ones in Brooklyn so be familiar with the subway. In Manhattan, I did really like Downtown Music Gallery and also the store near NYU (can't remember the name just now).

drum_cas likes this.
  3. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

There are too many to list. My two cents is to search on Google maps and avoid stores with less than 4.5 rating.. Those tend to be overpriced..

drum_cas likes this.
  4. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Lots of threads on this subject:

Best record stores in New York City?

NYC(and boroughs) Record Stores

New York and Boston Record Store Recommendations

Record Store In New York

I don't know how much you're going to find to your liking in that area. Most of the better stores (for rock) seem to be in the East Village or Brooklyn.

There's a record store in the Times Square subway station, but I think they specialize in dance and Latin music. The Jazz Record Center on 26th Street is supposed to be awesome, but I've never been there.

drum_cas likes this.
  5. drum_cas

Thanks all!

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Have a wonderful time in my old hometown!

drum_cas likes this.
  7. drum_cas

uzn007 likes this.
  8. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

No prob. As with many websites, I often find it easier to go to Google and search rather than using the built-in search engine. If you add "site:stevehoffman.tv" to your google search, it will restrict results to this website only.

zphage and drum_cas like this.