Red Hot Chili Peppers to release second double-album of 2022, "Return of the Dream Canteen" 10/14/22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galaga King, Jul 23, 2022.

1. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

It's called genetics. lol

Matisse likes this.
  2. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

U can’t even see what the heck is going on in it.

3. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

That album cover is 1000 times better!!
    But you left "its only natural" and "the great apes"out???

Miles1968 likes this.
  4. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I’d say One Hot Minute and even Californication are solid album covers. But yeah, the later album covers have been pretty lazy for the most part, especially from Stadium Arcadium onward. This new album’s cover at least had some effort put into it.

5. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Isn't there an element of Spotify/streaming gaming with these huge albums now? I wanna say lots of megastar albums have these massive tracklists now (Taylor Swift comes to mind).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    Zoot Marimba likes this.
  6. veon

veon Forum Resident

The Japan bonus track is ‘The Shape I’m Taking’. Unclear if the indie exclusive track is the the Japanese bonus track

Trag likes this.
  7. Lazerize

Lazerize Forum Resident

All of their albums with Frusciante since BSSM have at least 17 songs and are over 70 minutes long. There's nothing new about it for them. They've been doing it for over 30 years.

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Californication was 15 songs and By The Way 16 but I take your point.

9. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i was gonna say....only Stadium Arcadium with John since BSSM, and then the two releases this year, not really "every Frusciante album since BSSM"
    :)

i mean, they did it with a Josh era album too....

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Aquatic Mouth Dance and Poster Child may be my favorite RHCP songs ever.

warewolf95 and twicks like this.
  11. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

Get closer….

Bowie Fett likes this.
  12. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

jeremylr, WilliamWes, 905 and 3 others like this.
  13. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing. I never liked that cover. It's just a cover though. I like his sketches much better.

I do like the covers for BSSM, BTW and Cali (which is my favorite) for whatever reason.

14. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Yeah, I honestly don't give it much thought. In 15 years, I haven't even thought about the SA cover enough to determine if I like it or not. Like you said, just a cover.

mikemoon likes this.
  15. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I'd say it doesn't detract from my enjoyment (SA is my favorite) but it doesn't enhance it like a great cover can.

16. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Meh. It would have turned out like the dull, oversaturated covers he was producing around that time for Muse and Biffy Bacon (or whatever they are called).

pexie likes this.
  17. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i actually like all their album covers to some extent (or at least don't hate any of them that is), never thought of any of them as being super ugly or anything.
    if i had to pick though, one of my least favorite covers would probably be BSSM, with Stadium Arcadium next to it as my two least favorites, followed by the newest one, for
    The Return of the Dream Canteen. i guess those would be my 3 least favorite album covers of theirs.

one of my favorites was the I'm Beside You cover, when they did the nine 7" singles to make a big cover
    and then they released it all as a double vinyl with the full picture all in tact. Cool artwork to me.

warewolf95 and mikemoon like this.
  18. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Possibly, I kind of like the cover he did for Mars Volta Frances the Mute. That might be why they actually inquired about his services since John was basically part of that band for a while.

warewolf95 and pexie like this.
  19. chumbo73

chumbo73 Forum Resident

Yeah, while SA cover is horrible and one of the worst covers ever, I do love Californication and I think is their best. Lovely piece of art.

warewolf95, enro99 and mikemoon like this.
  20. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Remember that John Frusciante is 8-9 years younger than the rest of the band.

21. Bfunkthe1

Bfunkthe1 Forum Resident

I actually really like the new psychedelic trippy cover. It's kinda Dali-esque a bit.

And I don't disagree that SA is a rather underwhelming cover. For such a great album too. But, I have the deluxe small box edition and the cover is like a 3D/ Multilayered approach that enhances the cover quite a bit and gives it depth. It's kinda cool actually. :cool:

[​IMG]

warewolf95, andrewskyDE and enro99 like this.
  22. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I’ll still go with not eating

23. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I don't think not eating makes you more youthful looking. Not when you're 50-60.

Twinge Crispy likes this.
  24. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I had a pit ticket for SoFi in Los Angeles. The show was as great as any RHCP show I’ve seen. And I’ve seen them in clubs, soundstages, arenas…and now a stadium.

Twinge Crispy and Bfunkthe1 like this.
  25. Bfunkthe1

Bfunkthe1 Forum Resident

Just saw them in Chicago on 8/19. Had access to the Pit. It was a terrific show!
    My first time too! The sound was great from my vantage point which was basically in front of the Front House soundboard. :cool: