Red Hot Chili Peppers to release second double-album of 2022, "Return of the Dream Canteen" 10/14/22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galaga King, Jul 23, 2022.

1. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

A real head scratcher.... Why wasn't this the initial comeback single?! Tippa My Tongue is grand classic Chilis. Far and away better than any song on Unlimited Love.

jeremylr, RHCPTom, agundy and 6 others like this.
  2. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I'm sure they have their reasons for why each song was on one album or the other. Not just a matter of the 16 best songs go on the first and the rest go on the second. This one wasn't on the first album so it wasn't the first single.

lucan_g and Bowie Fett like this.
  3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Pre-ordered a pink EU pressing.
    The EU pressing on their last album were so much better than the American pressings, and since this one is so soon after that, I'm assuming this will follow suite.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Be interesting to see how this single does with streaming/radio. "Black Summer" was very successful, "These Are The Ways" bombed.

5. MikeVielhaber

I can understand why "Black Summer" was a single, even though it's not a favorite. I don't understand why "These Are the Ways" was. It's probably among my least favorite on the album, but it doesn't sound like a single.

mcwlod and pexie like this.
  6. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Yeah, it makes perfect sense to lead out with your weakest material first.
    :tiphat:

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. Saturns Pattern

Saturns Pattern Forum Resident

I suspect for me this'll get as many listens as the last one before ending up on the "will never listen to again" pile.

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

And your saying this after you have HEARD "Tippa My Tongue??" Really??

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. MikeVielhaber

Maybe that’s not how they see it. They probably have differing opinions of the material than you do. It’s all subjective. I doubt “Tippa My Tongue” is going to have any more success than “Black Summer”.

Groovy likes this.
  10. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Man, you're really thick aren't ya? Of course they do.

That's what I was saying all along. Go back a few pages and see my input about them needing an outside voice of reason for better quality control. When Rick Rubin was actually really engaged in the recording process that's what helped sharpen them for BSSM.

11. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I can’t even get into UL, so talk about saturating the market.

12. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Read today that "Black Summer" is still in the Top 10 at alternative radio, no idea if that's true.

13. MikeVielhaber

I looked up the Billboard Alternative Airplay chart and it appears it is true.

warewolf95 and twicks like this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I think the front cover of Stadium Arcadium is nice. Not perfect but not bad either IMO.
    Though I like the back cover much more. The four lads with red feathers flying around them, this might've been a great front cover maybe...

[​IMG]

15. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Atleast he doesn’t have that damn moustache.

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Unlimited Love was #1 in US and UK, so the single achieved it’s primary purpose, I suspect.

J_D__, Twinge Crispy and twicks like this.
  17. chumbo73

chumbo73 Forum Resident

What's wrong with Frusciante's pedalboard?

twicks likes this.
  18. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I keep seeing references to this and YouTube videos about it. What's the deal, is it breaking down nightly or something?

19. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

This video explains the issues

20. Paranoid Android

I’m going to go out on a limb and say unlimited love is better than canteen

21. Saturns Pattern

Saturns Pattern Forum Resident

Unfortunately, yes. Fortunately Mother's Milk, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, One Hot Minute and Californication still exist so I can always go back those if I want to hear this band and remind myself of how great they can be.

22. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Interesting. A few other examples might have been nice instead of showing just the one incident in Detroit.

23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Can't you wait till the new album is actually released?^^

24. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

I am more apologetic but I am glad to hear you mention those albums in particular. My go-to list would swap Mother's Milk for By The Way but BSSM is lightning in a bottle in every way.

Saturns Pattern likes this.
  25. Paranoid Android

judging by the first single on the upcoming album, I’d say they used the strongest material for the first release and went to more “experimental” material for the second… my guess… I really liked unlimited love and lost my mind in Detroit a few weeks ago… so….

mikemoon, andrewskyDE and twicks like this.