Red Hot Chili Peppers to release second double-album of 2022, "Return of the Dream Canteen" 10/14/22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galaga King, Jul 23, 2022.

1. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Is it crazy that I am holding off on ordering this in physical format because the cover artwork is so incredibly bad? I mean, it's so awful it's off-putting....

twicks likes this.
  2. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I'm holding out hope that it's somewhat reflective of a weirder/wilder musical direction. If it turns out to be the typical radio-friendly Rubin stuff then yeah, I'd agree. (Haven't listened to "Tippa My Tongue" yet, waiting for the full album.)

mr. faded glory and pexie like this.
  3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I have no problem including Stadium Arcadium in my list. However, Mother's Milk and BSSM really are a different era for the band...

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I guess that’s up to you. The cover means very little to me, nor do I think it’s particularly bad, but I wouldn’t call it crazy unless you won’t listen to it at all because of the cover.

BourbonAndVinyl, 905 and warewolf95 like this.
  5. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Oh, it's particularly bad alright. I can't even look at that! ...

6. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Sounds like John needs to do a Townshend and get some new equipment!

Paranoid Android likes this.
  7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

8. veon

veon Forum Resident

Have we confirmed that the Japan bonus track and Indie CD exclusive are indeed the same track?

9. RHCPTom

RHCPTom Forum Resident

Now then this is apparently a leak from the new album from the song fake as ****, it does sound very legit tbh not sure where or who this came from compared to other leaks this could very well be real I think, unless someone did a spot on impression of Anthony. Sounds very James Brownish, this album could very funk heavy?!

pexie, Bfunkthe1 and JasonA like this.
  10. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

11. terrapinstation

terrapinstation They call him lysosome ‘cause he runs so fast…

Yeah I feel like at this point Storm Thorgerson's album art too frequently felt more... not forced, but "weird for the sake of weird", and yeah maybe it's hypocritical for me to say that when some of my favorite album covers include a beach with a million beds or two random face-statue-things in the middle of nowhere, but idk, I feel like those images work so much better than whatever the hell's going on on the cover for, say, Bury the Hatchet.

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  12. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Did anyone notice they played Go Robot the other day? The first time John has played something from one of his replacements. Just bust out My Friends already.

13. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I love the cover of the new record, but I suppose it's a subjective thing.

Now if you don't want to buy a record because the artwork is incredibly bad, I suppose you never bought Stadium Arcadium or I'm with you, then ? ;)

andrewskyDE and Bfunkthe1 like this.
  14. Ghost of Ziggy

I think their only really good artwork was Mother’s Milk & BSSM.

bolexman and Zongadude like this.
  15. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

Love the new single! The guitar solos are monumental, the second one actually consisting of echoes. The ya-ya-ya intro annoyed me at first, because it seems to rip off some Sly and the Family Stone tune, can't remember which, maybe "Dance To The Music". Anyway I believe those ya-ya's are actually Anthony's vocal warm-up routine and someone in the studio decided to use them on the master take. At this point of their career what do they have to lose?
    The video is absolutely stunning, even though it's nothing original, we've seen that all in the videos for "Around The World" and "The Zephyr Song".
    All in all I consider this single and the forthcoming album a very welcome gift, not to be taken for granted.

16. PaulMcCartneysGhost

PaulMcCartneysGhost Forum Resident

No they didn't?

jordevi likes this.
  17. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

The Getaway has pretty good artwork to be fair but I agree with you about those two being the best cover choices out of the lot.

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The artwork of Californication is pretty iconic by now, IMO.

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  19. chumbo73

chumbo73 Forum Resident

The setlists are becoming too short and predictable.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  20. MikeVielhaber

It seems they're playing about the same amount of songs as they have all tour.

21. Ghost of Ziggy

It looks like it’s been edited/removed now on setlist.fm.

22. MikeVielhaber

23. Niall1984

Niall1984 Forum Resident

Eddie - YouTube

Absolutely loving this, much better than anything on Unlimited Love. Frusciante's guitar sounds fantastic.
    Also I hadn't realised it was written about Eddie Van Halen.

enro99, idledreamer, jeremylr and 3 others like this.
  24. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

“Eddie” is here. It’s a tribute to Eddie Van Halen and is one of the better Chili Peppers tune in some time. Fruscanti gets to rip a nice prolonged solo the last couple minutes of the song. The only thing that may hurt this song in some people’s opinion is Anthony’s dumb lyrics.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedHotChil.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

25. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Two good singles released in a row, this was the Chili Peppers I was waiting for and I'll be buying the vinyl release day one.

andrewskyDE and miller_time22 like this.