Red Hot Chili Peppers to release second double-album of 2022, "Return of the Dream Canteen" 10/14/22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galaga King, Jul 23, 2022.

1. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

Keidis likes them young. His book has several tales of him sleek g with teenage girls. He bragged about getting run out of a city because he slept with the sheriff’s 14 year old daughter while on tour and in his 20’s. He’s a creep, but rock and roll has a long history of them

The Green Elf and Ghost of Ziggy like this.
  2. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

Anyone else a bit disappointed overall in John Fruciante’s return? John leads the band overall musically when he’s in it. They jam and come up with songs. I can’t say John’s playing or composing has improved. Lots of these songs feel like songs that they should’ve worked on harder or just left out. To come out with 2 double albums instead of one great one or really good one has been a problem for them (and John) ever since Sradium Arcadium, which is when they lost me. It’s not bad for a band that have been around for nearly 40 years, but even the live clips I see feels like John going through the motions. I heard he got divorced and he lost a ton of money. That’seems to be motivated him to come back to the cash cow

Zoot Marimba and Ghost of Ziggy like this.
  3. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

He’s definitely doing it for the money. As great as he is.

4. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Normally I'd agree with the "one great album" preference but isn't the streaming game all about quantity now?

5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

One Hot Minute getting absolute HUGE exposure?
    Must’ve been for one hot minute, though…
    As far as I know only the alternative crowds cared about it.

6. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

You don't know his motivations. The stories I've heard seem like his interest in joining was because he missed being in the band. They had an emotional reunion. His playing or composing don't need to improve, they were always good enough before. And I've thought his playing really great in the clips I've seen of him on tour this year.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    mikemoon, twicks and Twinge Crispy like this.
  7. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Yeah, who cares about the motivation as long as he's not phoning it in.

8. Karate Chop

Karate Chop Forum Resident

Yup. OHM got a TON of exposure... videos for "Warped", "My Friends" and "Aeroplane" got seemingly non-stop airplay on MTV during the brief blocks that the channel played videos at that time and Kurt Loder was seemingly always talking about the group on the Weak in Rock segments each Friday.

idledreamer, MikeVielhaber and twicks like this.
  9. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Maybe John was a little stiff for the first few shows earlier this year, but no one who has seen him since the tour returned to America the last few months can accuse the guy of phoning it in. John is on absolute fire right now -- commanding the band, flashing constant smiles to the crowd, and just generally appearing to enjoy the hell out of being a guitar god once again.

And as that sonic explosion in "Eddie" shows, he's still got a lot of guitar to give. Hope this is just the beginning of RHCP x JF 3.0!

10. chumbo73

chumbo73 Forum Resident

He's constantly smiling. You can notice he is really having a good time and enjoying being in the place where he wants to be.

11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Yes, it’s definitely a financial move. Divorce+Sales Being Essentially Nonexistent+Streaming Revenue Being Pretty Much Worthless+Over a Decade Without Touring Or Playing Live, you do the math.

They won’t say it now because the reunion is what they’re selling at the moment. Just like you didn’t hear about any real issues with Navarro until he was out of the band, you didn’t hear about John and Flea’s issues during BTW until after the fact, you didn’t hear about Kiedis relapsing until later (or the fact that he was still using during Californication wouldn’t come out until he put his book out 4-5 years after the fact).

If you like the album(s), great. If you’re seeing them live and enjoying them, great. But be honest with yourself.

12. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

What was the beef about between John and Flea during the BTW era?

13. Zoot Marimba

Basically, Flea was not happy about being shut out during the writing process and his bass playing being largely downplayed on the record.

pantofis and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  14. Ghost of Ziggy

That’s correct, as the singles like My Friends didn’t really get any promotion.

15. MikeVielhaber

And specifically that John took control of the musical direction.

pantofis likes this.
  16. MikeVielhaber

This is first period of the group that I can recall, being about 10 years old at the time, and I don't remember "My Friends" from that time period. I remember it being included in a polka medley on Weird Al's album in 1996 and I didn't know the song. The songs, and videos, I remember were "Aeroplane", particularly, and also "Coffee Shop" and subsequently "Love Rollercoaster".

17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Guys, I was in college in 1995 and "My Friends" was on MTV more than you can imagine.

RHCPTom, wza97, Trag and 4 others like this.
  18. OneMoreCupOfCoffee

OneMoreCupOfCoffee Forum Resident

I see the logic and there may be some truth in this. But if it's purely a financial move and nothing else, why release 2 double albums? They don't need new material to tour, and the live shows are where the money is. I'm unashamedly loving the new stuff regardless of motivation :)

Trag, Twinge Crispy and steviej like this.
  19. MikeVielhaber

What proof have you that things aren't going great with them right now? You're talking about prior issues, what are the issues now that you have inside/non-public info on? All of those facts can exist and the band still be happily reunited, the "math" doesn't prevent that from being true.

20. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

As a teen when that album came out, that is my memory as well -- a LOT of excitement in my peer group over the album, and the videos ("My Friends" and "Aeroplane" especially) getting a ton of play on MTV. I haven't seen the "My Friends" video in 20+ years, and I still remember what it looked like. And wasn't there a quaint mini "controversy" (probably too strong a word!) over a band-on-band kiss in it?

21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Think that was in the "Warped" video.

steviej and reverendjim like this.
  22. Ghost of Ziggy

I am talking about the uk, it sank without notice, I was 16 and had the cassette on release, Aeroplane made a mild dent. At this time their uk tours consisted of one night at Wembley arena.

23. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Check out this song 'Ladykillers' by Lush. Written about the singer getting unwanted attention from a persistent Kiedis.

(I should make clear that she was NOT underaged when this happened).

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  24. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

You're right! Doesn't exactly bolster the general credibility of my memory, but I'll still maintain that I saw the "Aeroplane" and "My Friends" videos many many times when they were new. And hoo boy, when they came around on tour with Silverchair and the Rentals (!!!!!), that was a big thing.

25. Zoot Marimba

I’m pointing to those things to show that just because they’re going on about things being all hunky dory and kumbaya doesn’t automatically make it true.