Red Hot Chili Peppers to release second double-album of 2022, "Return of the Dream Canteen" 10/14/22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galaga King, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I have a single sleeve Unlimited Love but it might be worth getting the gatefold version of this for that artwork!

2. OneMoreCupOfCoffee

OneMoreCupOfCoffee Forum Resident

Awesome! Thumbs up!!

3. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

4. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

Jeez, they’ve got 2 double albums back to back - can’t hese guys put together ONE decent single album first :p
    I thought SA was a real letdown with only a few listenable tracks - but UL makes SA look like Electric Ladyland…

Over time I’m seeing BSSM was one of those true lightning in a bottle albums as everything else since then has been such a disappointment. I want to like them - but just can’t get back into them.

On UL I could only stomach that last song that John sang the chorus on

5. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more.

E_Braunn_Fan and pexie like this.
  6. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

I should also add that for me - a major source of the frustration stems from my love of Frusciante as a guitar player. And Chad smokes on the drums. The band is incredible - but then Anthony starts singing and ruins everything lol

7. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Well, Kiedis has been the weakest link of RHCP since long time ago (maybe since the beginning?), but on the other hand there's no RHCP without him, so you either accept this or you should listen to something else.

I reall loved Stadium Arcadium and I'm a big fan of Unlimited Love - they stretched their musical horizons and there aren't any real letdowns (I would maybe get rid of 2-3 songs and it would be a great single album).
    I spin it a lot and as always, the level of musicianship is really high. Frusciante plays a lot of great solos but Flea steals the show.

Personally, I can't wait!

8. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Didn't Frusciante state in some interviews while promoting "Unlimited Love" that they worked on a very large number of songs and that the ones they shelved for later were even better than what we got on UL? If so, I will be curious to plunk down some more on the vinyl release of this new record in hopes that they bring some hot chili back into the fold. I found Unlimited Love to be a bit of a snoozer to be honest, it was recorded well (with exception to Chad's drums that sounded like they used sample tracks from Californication) but it was missing some up tempo tracks to balance everything out more.

Dorian75, pexie and miller_time22 like this.
  9. PaulMcCartneysGhost

PaulMcCartneysGhost Forum Resident

Hoping that I'll at least be able to put together a half decent 40-50 minute playlist of tracks from Unlimited Love and this new album. Unlimited Love was such a disappointment.

mpayan and johnsiddique like this.
  10. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Another good thing is that UL was all analog, even the cassette. Straight from the tape according to them.
    Since this is coming from the same sessions, I can't see a reason why this wouldn't sound just as great as UL

Ragged Glory and andrewskyDE like this.
  11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

I see the forum old timer whining about Anthony has begun, 'stache will no doubt be next

Maybe for their own and RHCP fans sake they're better off on the nonsense Beatles threads, who split up more than fifty years ago :agree:

12. Bottjer713

Bottjer713 Forum Resident

For me, there are definitely several killer tunes, plus other tracks that are interesting and enjoyable. There are also about four songs I did not enjoy and would have cut from the album.

mcwlod likes this.
  13. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Then it sounds like this band isn't for you, rather than the band being not producing good material.

maellen, eclecticfiend, DML71 and 3 others like this.
  14. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Well, what he said was some of the best ones were being saved. He didn't say the ones they saved were the best ones, which makes it sound like the group of songs, as a whole, are consistently better. I think his point was just that they didn't use all the best songs on UL. But that doesn't mean none of them were either.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    JCRW likes this.
  15. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Since these are ostensibly from the same sessions, I’m wondering if these were also mixed to 1/2” tape at the time and mastered AAA by Bernie like Unlimited Love. Would be cool to get some sort of official confirmation on that. I’m also hoping there won’t be so many pressing quality issues, particularly if they use Precision Record Pressing again.

jazon likes this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I have the gatefold/deluxe edition of Unlimited Love (great pictures inside!) and definitely will pre-order the gatefold one of this new album... well, when they offer it on Amazon.^^

maellen and Boomy like this.
  17. Musiko

Musiko Forum Resident

Where’s the 24 colours variant? Ha! Looking forward to this. Really like Unlimited Love.

18. muzzler

muzzler Forum Resident

Anthony has been my weakest link for a while but you wouldn’t have the Chili Peppers without him. The lyrics can range from good to meh. The isolated instrument tracks are always amazing. I’d love to hear an album with Flea, Chad, and John on guitar and lead vocals. You know like Heavy Wing!

There’s a part of me that scares me about the new record and the quote by John about the best songs weren’t on UL, While away from the peppers he played guitar less and started making more electronic type music. I hope it’s not a case where he agreed to made UL with the agreement they explore his new found electronic style. They’ve changed their style many times and somehow make it work so here’s to the best. If they keep on rocking great but if they change beyond my tastes I’ll always appreciate what they’ve given me.

19. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Makes me wonder if the Japanese CD will have the same extra live track or a different bonus track?

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I always liked Anthony's vocals. It really is one of the signature sounds in the band.
    But 'The Heavy Wing' definitely is the highlight on Unlimited Love. John should sing more on their albums.

WDeranged likes this.
  21. Big Sur 4/4 version

Big Sur 4/4 version Forum Resident

While waiting for a lead single, wanted to point out how amazing the Unlimited Love bonus track “Nerve Flip” is.
    It was originally exclusive to the Japanese version of the album, but has since been released internationally as a standalone streaming single.
    Much different than the rest of the album, and I can’t help but hope this upcoming album tilts a lot more towards this track than the rest of UL.

I liked UL, but this track has definitely stuck in my mind a lot more than the rest. I really, really like it

enro99 likes this.
  22. Unranged

Unranged Enjoyer of Music

Pretty sure they don’t have an analog version of Auto Tune, so at the very least, there was a digital step in Anthony’s performance

Rockin' Robby and onm3rcur7 like this.
  23. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

I haven’t noticed auto-tune on his vocals. Any particular songs where it’s obvious?

24. I'm curious. Last time they did this with "I'm Beside You," the 2nd album was the better one . . . maybe by a good margin. I enjoyed a lot of John's return on "Unlimited Love," but I'll admit to maybe not liking it as much as Californication or By the Way, even though it's mastered better. I might guess there's room for a little more experimental stuff on this 2nd collection so I'm good and curious.

One of those bands that I've always liked but perhaps never absolutely loved. Even on their most popular albums (like BSSM) I find a fair number of songs that just don't sink in. But there's always some that do so I keep getting the material. And while I don't always warm to Anthony's lyrics, I actually like the melodic sense he's developed whereas some long-time fans lament that it's a more melodic and less "hard" kind of sound. I think it's better.

Rhythm section in that band is spectacularly good. Smith/Flea is about as good as a rock rhythm section can get.

Saw them live in this configuration on the Mother's Milk tour, and it was a really good show. They put a lot of energy into is, but some of the subtle stuff still came through. Good musicians.

25. RHCPTom

RHCPTom Forum Resident

Ok guys it seems 5 tracks have been revealed on one of the LP photos.

so we have so far from side C

1. Afterlife (4:13)
    2. Shoot Me a Smile (3:43)
    3. Handful (4:01)
    4. The Drummer (3:24)
    5. Bag of Grins (5:05)

unconfirmed but recorded:

Peace and Love (confirmed by Anthony during a interview for UL)
    also Tippa my Tongue has been confirmed as the lead single by Flea, and rumour is it’s out this Friday coming! Hopefully we get the full tracklist soon!