Red Hot Chili Peppers to release second double-album of 2022, "Return of the Dream Canteen" 10/14/22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galaga King, Jul 23, 2022.

1. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't think they will expand the portion of the show dedicated to new songs. They don't even play the same new songs every night. I'm sure the new songs on this album will just replace the one's they've been playing or they'll play a combination of the two.

2. EgaBog

EgaBog The Dreadful Great

That's one hell of a butt ugly ass cover. Dang.

3. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Placing my original quote I was referencing regarding "I'm Beside You" having better tracks than a lot of "I'm With You" for context so there is less of a chance for my comment to be used to your aim, which is obviously trolling their new music. I am just saying that they likely held back on the first record's track selections and this one will likely be analogous to the I'm With You sessions.

4. Unranged

Unranged Enjoyer of Music

Black Summer could literally be used as a textbook definition of what autotune sounds like when used to correct slightly off vocals. We aren't talking about T-Pain or autotune the news, anything like that. This effect isn't over-the-top, but it certainly isn't subtle

Karate Chop and Trag like this.
  5. MikeVielhaber

I don't think they held back songs from I'm With You. I'm Beside You wasn't even conceived as an album, it's a collection of leftovers, all which were previously released at the time they were compiled together. This album was always planned so they would actually have a reason to hold some songs back for it.

6. Actually, it's quite reasonable to infer that you were referring to his more energetic performances from some prior albums being more rap-oriented and by extension with the slightly more dangerous material. Often, in their prior work, those things would go together although I'll admit not always. There were certainly very energetic tunes like "Magic Johnson" that weren't really eyebrow-raising. From their earlier career, I often found that type of stuff pretty boring after one or two listens. The supremely funky "Sikamikaniko" is an obvious exception, and there are others. They've been very energetic on later-career tunes, too, though, particularly the title track from "By the Way." Of course, that was 20 years ago! I think the idea that Anthony would still sing like a guy that young just isn't at all realistic. Maybe that's not what yanks his chain anymore and attempts to find a pleasing melody is what does so.

7. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

That's not what I said. I was talking about them segregating tracks from UL and this current release and the prospect of the latter ending up as the stronger collection of tracks.

8. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Damn…c’mon Peppers. These guys are way overdue for a great single album right now. Another bloated double album? No thanks. I don’t think they’ve got the QC skills to make a great one at double album length.

onm3rcur7 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  9. laether

laether Forum Resident

John Frusciante

gonz, maellen, kohoutek and 1 other person like this.
  10. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Actually, I also thought I’m Beside You was very good, and I think there was a lot of promise there. “Pink As Floyd”, “The Sunset Sleeps” (not entirely sure about the “hoooo!”, but I can hang with it), “Strange Man” and “Catch My Death” have some great indie/psychedelic tinges and atmosphere there, “Hometown Gypsy” is a cool little divergence into country, “How It Ends” is a really great energetic post-punk tinged song, and “Open/Close” is a really cool blast of surreal chaos. And even IWY had some really strong cuts that felt fresh and vital-“Monarchy of Roses” does a really effective job of echoing the chaotic rock of past tracks like “Warped” while also adding this cool quasi-disco chorus and the two are blended together in a very organic way. Meanwhile, “Did I Let You Know?” has this really cool bossa nova feel to it, with Flea, Chad, and percussionist Mauro Refosco adding a real looseness, plus the trumpet solo is super killer (even if I’m a little sad that it’s not Flea playing the solo). Why it wasn’t the first single instead of “The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie” is beyond me. “Even You Brutus?” takes the hip hop influence but updates it for 2011, and pulls it off. And then there’s ballads like “Brendan’s Death Song”, “Police Station”, and “Meet Me At The Corner” that are very strong as well.

Combine the best material, and work it into a cohesive whole, you’d have had a really solid record.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    Rosskolnikov likes this.
  11. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

But they ve just done it: Unlimited Love ;)

12. EgaBog

EgaBog The Dreadful Great

Dumb question, but are they double albums in fact? I mean, they are all released in a single CD. If they are double, what would SA be? Quadruple album? I thought that was a double album.

Krzych, OneMoreCupOfCoffee and Aoide like this.
  13. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

I didn't say it wasn't good so it wasn't necessary to use the word "actually." Are you even reading what others write or just enjoying going off on your own self aggrandizing rants?

14. Zoot Marimba

Yes, I am reading what people are saying.

And if you read what I said, then you would know that I was responding to your accusation that I was simply here to troll the new music and say it’s all terrible. At no point did I state or even imply you didn’t like the record. If anything, I was attempting to show I agreed with many of your points about IWY and IBY.

15. Zoot Marimba

They’re probably talking about the vinyl editions since a lot of their fans like to buy music on vinyl.

EgaBog likes this.
  16. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

Double LPs, yes. A 'long playing' record is one that exceeds 30 minutes in length. Two discs, each exceeding 30 minutes in length, would be a double LP. The use of the word 'album' is more broad.

Is Blonde on Blonde an album? Sure. Is it also a double LP or 'double album' on vinyl? Yes. Years after it's release, the contents of the two records would happen to fit on one 'compact disc' (a major selling point of CDs at the time), but it was still a 'double album.'

I would say the same applies here. Something like Stadium Arcadium is an album. It could also accurately be referred to as a 4 LP record, a double CD album, two double LPs or two double albums, what have you.

JasonA and EgaBog like this.
  17. Karate Chop

Karate Chop Forum Resident

We live in a weird time right now where things that are clearly one thing are being called another thing because... reasons.

The Smashing Pumpkins did this "it's a double album" when it's really a single album with 2020's Cyr that Billy called a double album despite it fitting entirely on a single disc.

Going back a little further Metallica did something similar in 2016 with Hardwired... to Self-Destruct. While that was released on two discs, at 77:42 the entire album could've easily fit onto a single disc and therefor is not a double album.

But again, such are the times we're living in. *shrugs*

18. MikeVielhaber

Yeah, that was weird with Metallica as they actually have an longer than that released on a single disc and a couple others that are only slightly shorter also on a single disc. They’ve consistently released albums in that range and only this time they they spread it over two discs.

Karate Chop likes this.
  19. Cimrya Deal

Cimrya Deal Forum Resident

Oh, Blood Sugar Sex Magik isn't that bad, right? Right?

pexie and MikeVielhaber like this.
  20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Can you say "contractual obligation"? Can you say it in German?

21. MikeVielhaber

Contractual obligation? Based on what? Is their Warner contract over now after over 30 years? More likely, they’re notoriously prolific songwriters and, after all that time without Frusciante, they feel like making up for lost time.

905, enro99, mikemoon and 2 others like this.
  22. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Nah. Just one of the best albums of the 90s, if not the best.

905, pexie and JasonA like this.
  23. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Wise words.

EgaBog likes this.
  24. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Art-wise is one of the ugliest things I've seen in years.

EgaBog likes this.
  25. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I love how bad that cover is. It’s so bad that it’s like a car accident. I can’t look away.

905, J_D__ and Trag like this.