Red Hot Chili Peppers to release second double-album of 2022, "Return of the Dream Canteen" 10/14/22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galaga King, Jul 23, 2022.

1. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

4 album lengths, really. Which begs the question, is this the most material ever released from one "session" without being an archive release 30 years after the fact?

Fullbug, Twinge Crispy and WilliamWes like this.
  2. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Already, I like "Tippa My Tongue" better than anything off of Unlimited Love. It's got a hook. And some life to it.

I was afraid this album was going to be more of the same - leftovers from the last sessions. But this feels more like they thought, "We can do better." And did.

The verses remind me a bit of their cover of "Love Rollercoaster," while the chorus has an "Aeroplane" vibe. I like it. YMMV.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    jeremylr, warewolf95, kings81 and 4 others like this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

To stay at the RHCP, if we think of the vinyl edition of Stadium Arcadium (four LPs in a set) this is almost the same amount as the two 2022 albums, I guess.

JasonA likes this.
  4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

By the way I listened to the new song via Reddit last night and it's really great! Funk mood with psychedelic-like middle part. Looking forward to the rest of the album.

warewolf95, 905 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Metallica’s Load and Reload are a similar length. Potentially longer as we don’t know the length of this new one.

6. MikeVielhaber

Well, each CD disc was around 1 hour, so the total run time will be significantly less than these 2 albums combined.

7. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

8. WilliamWes

So far we've got more positive Peppers reviews - I like the new track as well. It's nice to see them gets some credit this year after people seemed to not like 'The Getaway'.

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Okay, the 2022 albums might be about 15 or 20 minutes longer, yes. I just checked CD 1 of Stadium Arcadium is 1 hour 2 minutes while Unlimited Love is 1 hour and 13 minutes.
    While we don't know the forthcoming album's running time yet, it's possible it'll also be 10 minutes longer than one half of Stadium Arcadium.

10. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

I'm aware of that, still stands, didn't mention it, just an observation hard to ignore.
    I am looking forward to the album.

pexie and WilliamWes like this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Excellent! It's great to see a band that's been around this long being so productive (and IMHO being in a really great place as far as their musical output is concerned).

Can't wait to hear the new album. :)

warewolf95, pexie and andrewskyDE like this.
  12. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

And Return of the Dream Canteen is their longest album yet.

Fullbug likes this.
  13. MikeVielhaber

They technically are leftovers from the last sessions. Doesn’t mean they picked all the best songs for the first album. And this song doesn’t necessarily mean the album, as a whole, will be substantially different. We’ll have to wait and see on that.

14. MikeVielhaber

Not including Stadium Arcadium, you mean? The new one is still a single CD.

Fullbug and Bowie Fett like this.
  15. WilliamWes

It's a great question Twicks but I don't think it's going to be the most. It would have to beat Magnetic Fields 69 Love Songs which is 172 minutes (2 hours and 52 min) and Prince's 1996 triple album Emancipation is exactly 3 hours. I think these 2 are the longest albums ever but maybe there's one I don't know.

We deserve it as Peppers fans. During the 1990s, when artists were still releasing albums every 1 or 2 years, the Peppers played the game like most do now with 3 years between albums so we have gotten used to waiting - and all of their albums have been long since Bloodsugarsexmagik except The Getaway. A lotta waiting, then a lotta music. In the last 3 decades, they've only issued 7 albums before this year.

16. MikeVielhaber

And the aforementioned Load albums by Metallica combine for 155 minutes which will also be more than these two albums. The new album would need to be at least 82 minutes to equal that, more than the capacity of a CD.

WilliamWes likes this.
  17. Bowie Fett

Oops. Longest single CD.

18. Bellagio Insider

Bellagio Insider Forum Resident

Love this new tune, has all the Chili Pepper elements that make this band unique and formidable. imo, Frusciante's return is truly triumphant, saw them earlier this month at SoFi in L.A. and the chemistry between these four guys is undeniable. John especially was incredible, not only his masterful guitar work and song craft are on display but also his harmonies (and counter harmonies) add so much to their sound. Having seen them live with pretty much all the incarnations going way back (Hillel, JF, Navarro and Josh Klinghoffer- all of whom were great, btw), this lineup is definitive and not to be missed. Amazing they have been bringing their style of funk and rock for close to 40 years. I can't think of many bands that have stayed as current and relevant with new (and old) generations over such a span of time as this band. Total kudos to these guys

19. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

love the new song!
    i am so excited to be getting another album from this band!!!

warewolf95, 905 and Bowie Fett like this.
  20. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I second this perspective. "They're Red Hot" which they also played in ATL!

21. Bowie Fett

I agree. And that SoFi show :goodie:

22. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I enjoyed my show, but no interest in seeing them in a stadium ever again. It's like watching through glass, just too hard to get enveloped by the music.

23. MikeVielhaber

From the start, I had decided to pass on the stadium show, but on the day of the nearest show (Detroit is about 3 hours away) I considered getting an ticket and going. But, in the end, I just didn't feel like making that drive, so I didn't. Hopefully the second album leads to more touring and I'm hoping they'll come back around, maybe closer and in an arena.

warewolf95 and twicks like this.
  24. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Judging by how successful this tour seems to be, I doubt we'll ever see this lineup in arenas again.

25. MikeVielhaber

Well arenas gives them the opportunity to go to more markets than stadiums will allow and they could come back around to the same markets without a long break and play a smaller venue. I don’t think it’s out of the question, if they plan on touring for a while.

warewolf95 and mr. faded glory like this.