Red Rose speedway-apreciaton. thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

RRS might be one of the weirdest albums of all in the Paul McCartney/Wings legacy. Everyone in the know are aware of the fact that there are a few good/great track that never made it to the final album. We also know that Glyn Johns stepped out of the production-aparently because Wings smoked an awful lot of pot and were somewhat unfocused. Even the most hard-core Macca-fan have to admit the album is poorly sequensed and very patchy.
    Still I love it- has done so since it was released.
    First of all there are some very good songs to behold like My Love(yes it is a classic ballad), the lovely countryish Only one more kiss and the two left-overs from Ram-Little Lamb Dragonfly and Get on the right thing. Little lamb dragonfly in particular I think is one of the most beatiful songs Paul has ever recorded. The three -part harmony-vocals from Paul, Linda and Denny sort of define that special Wings magic.
    Even the albums more ill-fated parts like the meddle and Loup are not entirely without merit. Stuck inside all this some forgotten gems like When the night and Single Pidgeon.
    Without doubt there are songs like 1882,the Mess or Best Friend that would have bettered the album but anyway
    It s a weird piece of music that I for some reason really enjoy. One tend to forget that it also was a huge seller at the time.
    There is a very odd charm to this album that makes it a rarher unique one. It could also be one of the most rewarding De-luxe- editions-if it ever gets that treatment.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I'd love to have a super deluxe RRS:cheers:

3. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

#3 of Pauls classic 3 album solo rollout.
    A superb release.
    Grab a DCC Dennis!

4. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Loup!

Nick Dunning likes this.
  5. Dennis Metz

I have one:edthumbs::cheers:

rxcory likes this.
  6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I've always loved this one. And you're so right about "Little Lamb Dragonfly." It's achingly beautiful.

Mark L., Lewisboogie, ccbarr and 5 others like this.
  7. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

My favorite Macca album.

Unfortunately, I do not have a copy.

Would also love a deluxe CD reissue.

Bemagnus likes this.
  8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'll confess to some sentimental nostalgic attachment to this one (I even like the artwork, though Paul looks pretty well stoned!). It's not a masterpiece, but like much of his work from this period, it certainly does have an easy going charm, while offering a more diverse range of experiments (i.e. "Loup") than the preceding albums. The "Albums That Never Were" site features an expanded edition of RRS that includes the key outtakes referred to above.

9. 905

905 Senior Member

I like it, but prefer the rough charm of Wild Life.

Ludger, Paulo Alm, Stencil and 2 others like this.
  10. Bemagnus

Easy goin charm is a nice way to describe it

Mark L. and theMess like this.
  11. Bemagnus

Little Lamb dragonfly might have some corny lyrics. But the song, melody, singing, arrangements most everything feels truly heartfelt . It s a track of rare beauty -really

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sounded great along with Pink Floyd DSOTM summer 73' could have been the party atmosphere or something else, think he went for a Abbey Road homage on RRS side 2.

DrBeatle likes this.
  13. Dennis Metz

Another great one. :cheers:

905 likes this.
  14. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

It is my favorite McCartney album. Always has been.

Mark L. and theMess like this.
  15. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Always liked how Big Barn Bed has the part that ends Ram On Reprise. The medley that ends the album is musically terrific even though it lacks a little lyrically. Cool booklet with the album too.

Dodoz, Adam9, DrBeatle and 1 other person like this.
  16. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I think the only real problem with rrs is the medley, which fails to be the grand finale fireworks it ambitions to be. This medley has a function : were it successful, it would hold the album together and everything on it would seem better. But as much as I like it, it's not very inspired, neither is it spectacular enough to 'complete' the album. It's good, but simply not good enough. And the lyrics are definitely more lazy than dynamite.

Three deep cuts I especially love on rrs are 'little lamb', 'single pigeon' and 'when the night', with those great screaming lalalas at the end, that get me every time.

Little lamb is magnificent and poignant in a way few McCartney songs ever were. And Single pigeon wouldn't be out of place on Sunflower or any great Beach Boys albums of the period. The "track by track" polls we've been running show that RRS tracks are far from being favorites on this forum. Only Little Lamb fared relatively well (it finished 4th, but still pretty far behind Uncle Albert, Let Me Roll it and Here Today). I'd love to save Single Pigeon in the "track 6" poll (http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/best-track-6-on-a-mccartney-album.475433/), but it seems it doesn't stand a chance…

17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I love RRS.....I certainly hope they don't completely skip it in these archive releases.
    Flowers in the Dirt...:rolleyes:

ccbarr, DrBeatle, pscreed and 2 others like this.
  18. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

my favorite Wings album

joelee and pscreed like this.
  19. Bemagnus

I somewat agree about the meddle -on the other hand I for some odd reason enjoy listening to it. And it is extremely clever constructed. And that Loup has some Killer bass-lines

ccbarr and Tristero like this.
  20. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Believe me, I enjoy listening to it as well!

Bemagnus likes this.
  21. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

Love the album.
    'Big Barn Bed' is my favorite post Beatles Mccartney track. Period.
    BBB has all the elements that, for me, define the classic McCartney sound.

FJFP, Lewisboogie, Rickchick and 4 others like this.
  22. Bemagnus

Yeah-Big Barn bed is a good one. Forgot to mention that little smoking gem.:)

Jamey K and DrBeatle like this.
  23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

It's a keeper, but what the heck is Lazy Dynamite?

24. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Loved it when I first heard it and still do. I wish this album was the next deluxe reissue.

Sean, pscreed and Bemagnus like this.
  25. Bemagnus

It might be the one I most look forward to-perhaps also Flaming Pie

musicfan37 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.