Red Rose speedway-apreciaton. thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Pre-internet, I remember the french music press, looking back on Macca's discography through the years. RRS would always be referred to as a snoozer with a couple of tracks to save, at best. But this album always intrigued me, and needless to say, I was VERY pleasantly surprised when I got to listen to it eventually.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Not gonna lie- my main impetus behind wanting to hear Red Rose Speedway in the first place was based on it's fairly negative reputation- it was one of the first solo McCartney albums I remember hearing and my mindset was totally, "Ooh...I wanna hear what a bad McCartney record is gonna sound like!" (I had yet to hear a truly "bad" Maccaalbum like Pipes Of Peace at that point:laugh:)

Of course, once I heard RRS I was like, "This actually isn't bad at all!" It's always reminded me of Ram, or maybe more accurately, a lesser version of Ram.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Here's a nice, never seen (for me anyway) Paul and Linda TV interview from the "Red Rose Speedway" UK tour in Newcastle, 10 July 1973.

Crimson jon likes this.
  4. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Still haven't heard the gosh darn thing.

5. That's simply remedied. Buy it, listen to it.

6. tages

tages Senior Member

Thanks for sharing this - excellent, just the sort of thing that should be in a deluxe Red Rose Speedway box.

And I want one of those RRS shirts!

7. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

My favorite (along with Ram).

8. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

I’ve never heard this album either. Was it not included in the apple reissues of 2012 ..or whenever it was..

9. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

I always ignored this one because I heard it was bad, but once I discovered it a couple of years ago, I loved it! My favorite tracks are Get on the Right Thing, Little lamb Dragonfly, one more kiss, and single pigeon. They come right in a row. Medley drags it down a bit. The bonus tracks are great too - I lay around, the mess

10. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

The samples on allmusic, though brief, sounded good to me.

11. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Sorry, but I think it’s an awful album, one of McCartney’s worst. There are only a couple of songs that I sort of like (“Big Barn Red,” “My Love”). I’m a huge fan of most of McCartney’s post-Beatle work, but not that one. I think it might be his worst solo album...maybe better than Broadstreet...maybe.

One other thing - the back cover photo convinces me that Paul must have been stoned out of his mind when he made it.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  12. Finch Platte

I'm waiting for the extended, multi-disc, laser-etched, autographed, remixed and edible edition.

BZync, Fullbug and Lewisboogie like this.
  13. It's not a great album but it does have it's moments.
    Why wait though? Go for it now!!

14. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

:righton: If they follow the example of McCartney II, it will be.

rstamberg likes this.
  15. Finch Platte

Because I'm waiting for the extended, multi-disc, laser-etched, autographed, remixed and edible edition.

16. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

You're right about the medley. It tarnishes the album for me because it's just not good enough.

17. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Side One is fine.

Side Two is a mess (no pun intended).

You could keep Side One intact and make Side Two:
    1. The Mess; 2. Best Friend; 3. A Love For You (another Ram leftover, why not); 4. I Lie Around; 5. Soily or 1882

18. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

When the Night is a terrific song. A personal favorite.

blutiga likes this.
  19. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

It's a great album.

20. ohnothimagen

Ya think?!:laugh:

21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Not a masterpiece in any way, but enjoyable

Crimson jon likes this.
  22. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Something that was pretty depressing to realize was that adquiring fluency in English made me enjoy this album much less.

Before that, I understood the general theme of most songs, but couldn't make out most lines, and so forth. That meant I could enjoy Paul's brilliant melodies without having to worry about any leaping armadillos :D

But nowadays, I find it much harder to do so, and just ignore those silly lyrics and let myself go. Any others feel this way?

23. ohnothimagen

With McCartney I think it's easiest just to try and ignore the lyrical shortcomings and focus on the melodies and playing. Granted some times it's definitely harder than others'...

24. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

I love the album, but also really like alternate versions which use early and, to my ears, stronger takes of things like Big Barn Bed, Single Pigeon and Loup, and which also heighten the rustic/in the country feel by including the great I Lie Around and the equally wonderful Country Dreamer. A deluxe version with all these alternative versions and a bunch of out-takes would be my preference for the next re-issue release. Paulie, are you listening?

25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Glyn Johns quit working on the album because there was so much marijuana during the sessions. He mentions this in his autobiography.

Hoover Factory likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.