Red Rose Speedway is MILES better than Band On The Run - Anyone else agree?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by VinylMan07, Jul 25, 2021.

1. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Picasso’s Last Words is brilliant it is “Cubist” like Picasso’s art.
    Cubism was a revolutionary new approach to representing reality invented in around 1907–08 by artists Pablo Picasso and Georges Braque. They brought different views of subjects (usually objects or figures) together in the same picture, resulting in paintings that appear fragmented and abstracted.

Vagabond, supermd, somnar and 4 others like this.
  2. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Sorry, can't agree at all. Haven't read any responses but I'm confident plenty of reasons why have been posted.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I hoped someone else would chime in to confirm or deny that the "Tug" remix was because the original wasn't "high res" enough.

That's my memory, but I'm not all that tapped into audiophile stuff so I might recall incorrectly! :shrug:

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Not only does my mileage vary, I'm on a totally different road!
    My Love is an absolute romantic classic, again covered by so many artists, especially soul artists because it is.
    One More Kiss, is great and if anything Donny Osmond was trying to be like McCartney!
    When The Night hits the mark and I love the live version.
    Little Lamb Dragonfly to my ears is one of McCartney's best.
    The medley for me is wonderful because I love hearing McCartney sing.
    So yeah I'm racing on the Red Rose Speedway and absolutely loving it!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  5. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Wild Life is total dreck. Red Rose Speedway is so-so. Band on the Run is great. Still my favorite of all of Paul’s solo albums.

arthurprecarious and TimM like this.
  6. VinylMan07

VinylMan07 *Almost* but *not entirely* an Audiophile Thread Starter

I love how, in the middle of this song paul
    Well, for me, it's just an idiot, repetitive and quite pointless song. I get the idea, but I think it could have been done in some other way.
    Also, i love how Paul *tries* to speak french in the middle of the song, but Picasso was actually a *Spanish* painter.......

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The “Red Rose Medley “ and “Picssso’s Last Words” are two of my very favorite Macca tunes.

joy stinson and JDeanB like this.
  8. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

BBC - History - Historic Figures: Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)

Picasso lived in France over 70 years… and was fluent in French. Paul was spot on.

“In the early 1900s, Picasso moved between France and Spain before finally settling in Paris in 1904. ... Unlike many artists, Picasso remained in Paris during the German occupation. From 1946 to his death he lived mainly in the south of France.”

9. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

I like RRS, but I disagree with this strongly.

joy stinson, somnar, abzach and 2 others like this.
  10. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

No it isn't BUT IF YOU take some of the great non lp songs, the Live & Let Die-I Lie around single & perhaps the Hi Hi Hi single & maybe 1 or 2 more good ones, maybe 1882 studio,and you drop 3 or 4 of the weakest RRS tracks maybe the terrible medley, When The Night a couple others..... its tough with 25-30 songs...but done right you get a longer album maybe12-13 cuts a great mixture of rock lush ballads, every track strong no fat, & then it rivals or surpasses Band on the Run, just as many or more hall of fame classics, like aBeatles album where every track is great & the album has great variety....Band on the Run is still great & better in the sense of continuity a homogenous sound, no album can beat BOTR In terms of 10 songs that hang together with that homogenous sound,,,similar sonics instruments, harmonies grooves through out & damn fine hall of fame tunes, the title cut Jet Mrsvbilt, Let MeRoll it.......great album as it stands... BUT With some adjusting of the tracklist & adding Live & Let Die& Hii Hi Hi & dropping 2 or 3 weaker RRS Speedway tunes....adding a much needed rock component to the lush RRS ballads....yes you can surpass BOTR overall or come within a nose.....all that weed didin't keep McCartney from being creative, it just kept him from organizing his best tunes

No Bull and DK Pete like this.
  11. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I agree. Cut the medley and add Hi Hi Hi, I lie Around and Night Out and be done with it. The album would rock a little more. Live and Let Die is great add it to.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  12. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

13. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Well put exactly. The medley songs imo, are a lot better cut into individual songs, and interspersed through the tracklist, but none of them are great songs like Live & Let Die, My Love, Dragonfly, Hi Hi Hi, 10 of those great tracks sequenced lines up against anything. The only one I disagree with you, is Night Out, great little McCartney Wings style opener.....but its raw, the fidelity is more compromised less clear lower fidelity...but to each their own....I would include 1882 or the Mess, except again too raw unfinished...lower fidelity...one more session or two to make 1882 glossy fixing the harmonies and backing track, maybe trimming it to 4.30-5.00 but they didin't. Doesn't need it, you basically nailed 8 or 9 of the best 10. I think it is better song for dong than BOTR when you do that. Why McCartney was too befuddled on pot to do that i'll never understand

Sorry I stand corrected you didint choose Night Out don't know why I thought you had. My mistake your tracklist & sequence is terrific

joy stinson likes this.
  14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

"Live And Let Die" is a great track, but it would stick out like a sore thumb on RRS. It doesn't fit with the low key vibe of the album, too highly produced. This makes more sense as a stand alone single, imo, whereas something like "Hi Hi Hi" would work better.

I really enjoy the bonus disc that was included with the recent reissue, but I hate the fact that they started it off with "Mary Had A Little Lamb", which is Paul at his most cutesy and cloying.

joy stinson and No Bull like this.
  15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Oh no way man. You have to have the Medley as is, because it’s one of the McCartney catalog highlights at the end when all of the separate songs start being added in again until they’re all joined together. An absolutely sublime musical moment.

pscreed and joy stinson like this.
  16. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

What is it about Band On The Run by McCartney-that makes it his best 70s work ? Or album

It was from your post [ johnny moondog 909, Oct 22, 2017 ] :)

"... he must've driven the label nuts, with his track selections "

I liked it.

17. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I see these albums as sequentially showing the development of wings, I liked them all for different reasons, at the time some more than others. Since critics and hipsters have reassessed early paul music, his early albums and early wings have been upgraded and Ram is seen by younger folks as better than Ram. No, though, much as I lived rrsw then and now, BOTR overall is a stronger and better album and more suited for commercial breakthrough.

maui jim likes this.
  18. joy stinson

I’m a big sucker for children music, so love the Mary song and all five videos of it…lol.

19. joy stinson

McCartney was befuddled on pot for decades, a drug known to enhance creativity and I really love his pot linda year’s music and he seemed to have a great outpouring of music in those years, but also a drug known to cloud judgement…lol. PS…hey, friend, hope you’re doing well.

supermd and painted8 like this.
  20. joy stinson

The song was an attempt at miasma phantasmagoria like..some psychedelica songs.

21. joy stinson

Blasphemy about wild life!…an incredibly loose album on side one with varied genres and smooth beautiful ballads on side 2. Wild life is in my top three macca favorite albums. Yeah, I like the red headed step child album. Lol.

maui jim likes this.
  22. joy stinson

It’s a hold over from sixties type of psychedelica…there was other music like this at that time, mainly found in some prog rock. I liked it then and now and thought it gave breadth to the album. Rock show version of the song is the best though, as merges the song with Richard Corey.

maui jim likes this.
  23. joy stinson

There’s a whole genre of drinking songs, mainly German songs, etc, and I classify this song as in that vein. Unlike you, I always liked this song. It’s the carpe diem theme, the guy goes to bed, dies in his sleep and last request is for his friends to…drink to him. It was based on a true story of Picasso dinner party drinking with his friends the night before he died.

24. joy stinson

? Different albums, groups and different eras…but paul put reprises on other seventies albums, V&M, egg I think.

DK Pete likes this.
  25. joy stinson

No way..better than 1985 or Helen wheels?