Refoaming speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JohnnyK, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

One of my Linn midwoofs has a split foam surround. Does anybody have a recommendation for having it refoamed? I live in the Chicago area, but all recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

John, I'd start by contacting LINN directly. They may be willing to refoam the driver or sell you a replacement. If not, they may be able to recommend a company that does this sort of work.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I know there are companies that do this sort of work. Should be easy to repair. Heck, I even know a guy who has a booth in the flea market who can do this! $20.00 each speaker. His cost is $3.00 for the part.

Try calling around... good luck! :)

4. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

I talked to my Linn dealer. A replacement mid-woof is $250.00!! :eek: Refoaming is less than $30. :righton: I guess that I'll check out the web.

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

YIKES - who the hell gets off charging $250 for a mid-woofer? I useta play speaker builder in the good old days and criminy, Dynaudio drivers were about the toniest items in the catalogs and didn't command that sorta loot - I run them in my current speakers and love 'em, but I gagged at what I considered a lot of cash for 6 1/2" woofers and 1" domes. Could you post a picture of these woofers and give their diameter - I might recognize it and find an exact replacement without the Linn mark-up if they bought from an OEM manufacturer. Sheesh, that's mighty piggy for a woofer... :sigh: Gotta be careful with resurrounding - if the surrounds are butyl or synthetic rubber you'll run into problems if the replacement is foam - they'll have different characteristics and will change the drivers' parameters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.