Rega Ania cantilever bent?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Eric Li, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Li

Eric Li Active Member Thread Starter

I bought a rega P6/Ania combo and I just cannot get the sound right. The left channel sound 30% weaker than right channel. I checked the alignment (using Rega protractor) and tracking force (~1.9g) ( I switched input for phono preamplifier and the sound problem did switch. So the problem is from turntable. I closely looked at the cantilever and noticed it is “bent” slightly inward. (Picture attached). Could any Ania owner help to confirm if it is bent or it is made in that way. (From stock picture , it is straight and right in the center) Thanks.

PhxJohn likes this.
  2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I do not see a picture, but in any case, you should get a replacement cartridge.

3. Eric Li

I am not sure if the left/right channel imbalance is caused by off-center cantilever or just alignment. (Cantilever should move freely to pass the vibration, right?) thanks

Here is link to the picture : https://photos.app.goo.gl/R2ttHEG4zsnQ9sjt6

4. Anodyne Jones

Anodyne Jones Forum Resident

yes, please post pic. i set my Ania at 1.75. Why did you choose 1.9?

5. Eric Li

I am not sure if the left/right channel imbalance is caused by off-center cantilever or just alignment. (Cantilever should move freely to pass the vibration, right?) thanks

1.75-2g suggested by Ania and many people recommend to use 2g. I just set in the middle to start with. Thanks.

Here is link to the picture : https://photos.app.goo.gl/R2ttHEG4zsnQ9sjt6

6. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

looks bent to me

7. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Common that stylii are skewed.And in my experience, it also relates to channel balance issues. Can be due to stylus/coil/magnet misalignment or an asymmetry in the suspension that cause constraints on the movement.

8. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

And... all buyers should inspect cartridges at first with a loupe. I think the only way is to return all cartridges with visibly skewed stylii. They should not pass QC in the factory.

PhxJohn likes this.
  9. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

Ok, here is the shot you took of your Ania
    [​IMG]

and here is mine that I just took.
    [​IMG]

From these two shots I would say yours looks bent. I hope this helps.

Eric Li and Roycer like this.
  10. Anodyne Jones

Anodyne Jones Forum Resident

Gotcha. Thanks.

It does look slightly bent based on pix.

11. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Mine is straight. Sorry dude, yours is buggered. You need to get the dealer involved.

12. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

If you install and align your cartridge using the cantilever as the guideline - not the cartridge body - you may find that the cartridge works brilliantly.

The cantilever does not look bent, because that implies damage and it doesn't look damaged. It looks rather like it was assembled at the factory at a slight horizontal angle. That's still not right, but usually shouldn't affect sound quality as long as the cartridge is aligned according to the cantilever. That's been my experience with cartridges from a variety of brands including Ortofon recently (a Quintet Mono), a Hana (an SL about a year ago), and a Shure V15 Type IV many years ago.

Considering the price of the Ania though, your dealer should be happy to replace the cartridge with one that is precisely assembled.

13. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I agree. My $10 Swiss styli arrive with straight cantilevers. I think reputable manufacturers(NOT passing judgement here !) would like to know about QC issues. And we are talking about an expensive cartridge here.

bluesaddict likes this.
  14. Eric Li

Thanks. Even though TT is still under warranty, the dealer won't do anything on cartridge, since a couple months past and we didn't check the straightness at the first weeks. ! Anyway, what's best tool to align the cantilever? The one coming with Rega is not precise enough. Thanks!

15. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

I went with a Mint protractor. Here is the blog from the manufacturer...
    Features:

1. Each Tractor bears a serial number for identification.

2. A spindle-hole is specially made for your turntable to ensure accuracy.

3. The Effective Length Arc ensures you get both effective length and overhang correct at one instance.

4. Many templates in the market align the cartridge body. This is grossly incorrect. Instead we have null point markings aim at aligning the stylus of your cartridge.

5. The mirror surface provides parallax effect to eliminate sighting errors. Your eyesight is guided to be in a 100% straight line with the null point indication when performing the alignment task.
    I find it is very good for those expensive carts.
    Cheers, Doug

16. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

There is no single tool. Any good quality alignment tool - e.g., the Feickert - that has precise gridlines marked on its baseplate, is a good start.

You also need a work table or platform and a stool or bench that allow you to work with the turntable at a height that doesn’t require you to bend down too far. You have to be comfortable when you’re working at this sort of thing, and you have to be able to observe things squarely rather than with your head and neck turned and tilted at an awkward angle.

You need good lighting that eliminates distracting shadows. It’s ridiculously and needlessly difficult to do alignment work using a handheld flashlight. Use bright general lighting.

Just as important, you need a magnifying glass (1.5X or 2X) that provides a clear view of the effect of any adjstments. A clear, magnified view helps you accurately adjust the cartridge body position so that the cantiliever lines up with the appropriate gridlines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.