Rega Apheta 2 vs Apheta 3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joey_Corleone, Mar 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have had my Rega RP10 / Apheta 2 combo for about 5 years now, and think it’s been a great sounding setup for me.

I have ordered a new Apheta 3 to replace it. I would love to hear from some others that have gone from the 2 to 3 or that have heard both cartridges.

What are your thoughts on comparing these two? Do you think the 3 improves things?

Looking forward to getting it!

2. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Even quieter backgrounds, more refined treble and better defined bass. Same glorious midrange.

james and Joey_Corleone like this.
  3. AudioTimes

AudioTimes Forum Resident

So did you get the Apheta 3? What are your thoughts?

Also interested to know what users think about the performance of the Apheta 3 compared to other similarly priced MC carts...

4. Joey_Corleone

Yes, I have had it installed for a few weeks now. So far so good. I do think it sounds like an improvement over the Apheta 2. What I noticed right away was the "sparkle" on the highs, specifically things like symbols. Generally, quite literally everything seems a little better. It could be bias, or the fact that my Apheta 2 was 4-5 years old too. I'm a happy customer.

Porkpie and AudioTimes like this.
  5. AudioTimes

AudioTimes Forum Resident

Great, thanks :)

By the way, did you have to perform any kind of adjustment or calibration? Or is the 3 bolts system good enough to have the cart mounted, screwed and be done with it?

6. Joey_Corleone

My dealer who has been doing this for 50 years that has done thousands of Rega carts came over and took care of it. Nothing special though - 3 bolt system, we checked VTF, and set antiskate using a test record. Good to go, easy peazy

AudioTimes likes this.
  7. Buzzman3535

Buzzman3535 Forum Resident

i'm in the same boat (RP10 w/ aging apheta 2) and have been saving my pennies for a Apheta 3 replacement when the time comes.

SO... how did you know the time had come? Did you start to notice any deficiencies on the A2 playback that alerted you that it was time to move?

8. Joey_Corleone

For me, it was more just wanting to update to the new model, and 5 yrs seemed like a fair run. I didn’t hear anything bad about my A2. I warned the 3, had the spare $ and just pulled the trigger

9. Buzzman3535

Buzzman3535 Forum Resident

Ok good to know. I am in the strange position of having bought a used RP-10 with the used A2. I was told the previous owner had only had it for about a year, but you know....you never know.

Still sounds good to me and if you got a solid 5 yrs our of yours I don't think I am in any major rush.

10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I got the Apheta 3 last week for my RP8. I upgraded from an Ania and for a week inbetween I had an Ania Pro on loan. For me I really noticed the difference with things like sharper symbols (rather than “splashes”), base has more presence and a quieter background. Of course I’m still breaking it in.

At the same time I upgraded from the MC Phono Stage to the Aria MC/MM phono stage so it was a major step up in sound all round.

Morbius and Joey_Corleone like this.
  11. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

In that case you really can't tell what actually improved the sound. Not important in the end since you are happy with the sound, but if you want to know what an individual upgrade does, you need to try it one by one.

Morbius likes this.
  12. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I should’ve clarified: new phono stage > ania pro > apheta 3, I didn’t do it all at the same time but within a 2 week window.

13. SCM

SCM Senior Member

I have a nearly new Planar 10/Alpheta 3 combo on its way to me. Less than 80 hrs on it.
    My ZYX Airy 3 just came back yesterday from VAS after a rebuild.
    If anyone is interested I might sell the Alpheta 3 off it.
    I understand they take about 100hrs to settle in, so not even broke in yet.

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

100hrs?! Wow, I’ve not read that. The Ania Pro I had on loan was broken in and sounded great. My Apheta 3 is brand new and I can hear it’s quite formal and yet to be fully relaxed like the Ania Pro was.

15. SCM

SCM Senior Member

I guess carts can vary by a wide margin.
    The Ortofon Anna supposedly needs 100 hours.
    A Kiseki PurpleHeart needs 50 hrs minimum and up to 100 hrs from what I`ve read...these are just a couple examples.
    Maybe the Alpheta 3 only needs 20 hrs I have no idea

Porkpie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.