Rega Apheta / Audio Note Oto - step up transformer or Aria pre?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sbsbsb, Nov 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbsbsb

sbsbsb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all, proud owner of a new Oto Phono SE Sig here, coupled with a pair of AN-E Spe HE's. I'm getting ready to spring for the new Planar 8 when it comes out next month, and thinking I'll have it paired with the Apheta cartridge to enter the world of LOMC.

Since the Oto Phono pre is MM only, I'm wondering whether it makes more sense to go with an Audio Note step up transformer between the Rega and the Oto, or get a Rega Aria MC/MM preamp and go into the "Aux" input of the Oto? Which makes the most sense? If going the AN step up transformer route, which specs do I want for the step up to best match the Apheta?

Fred Hansen likes this.
  2. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

You need to be around 100 ohms for the Apheta 2. The Audio Note website says that the H version comes in at 64 ohms. That should be fine, though it could load down the high end a hair more than a 100 ohm load. The Apheta has a rep for being a tad forward, so you might like that anyways. If you want to get at 100 ohms, check out Bobs Devices. A 20:1 ratio would get you to 94 ohms, right where you need to be. The Aria would definitely work too, just would put solid state back in the mix. The Oto phono stage is supposed to be pretty dang good.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  3. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

I have used rega with the same amp (oto sig) and speakers, and I found the system works better with audio cartridge. I would go audio note all the way. I cannot exclude the possibility that something else would work well but there's a risk that it's not optimal and that it will take years before this becomes clear. I recommend all audio note based on experience, not on brand loyalty

4. Anodyne Jones

Anodyne Jones Forum Resident

Aria. I am about to buy one too.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. sbsbsb

Thanks for these opinions...so it sounds as if I've got two potential choices here...stick with an Audio Note step up and look at LOMC cartridges better matched to it than the Apheta, or perhaps look at an Audio Note IQ3 cart and forego the need for a step up at all? Thoughts on either? I'm pretty certain I'm settled on the Planar 8 as the actual table choice!

6. Fred Hansen

@sbsbsb all of these options will work great. The question is how much your ears demand and what your budget is and this is subjective. Therefore it's difficult to clarify via electronic communication and to some extent via a visit to an audio shop. Because the ultimate test in HiFi is long-term listening in one's own system. I have found myself in similar situations in the past and avoided some mistakes with he help of forum members but eventually made mistakes before fully understanding my taste and boundaries

7. jsr

jsr Forum Resident

Good suggestion IQ3 and no step up, just not sure how the IQ3 would mate up with your arm choice

8. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

build your own SUT and save

9. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

For quite a few years Audio Note used reworked Rega arms. I would think the IQ3 would work just fine in the 880 Rega arm.

10. Fred Hansen

Yes, it works fine but not as good as on audio note's own arms. I have tried and my only regret is not moving to a complete audio note solution earlier.

11. Fred Hansen

If you want a budget mc, rega might be the best solution though

12. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

A Budgie step up would be perfect. The Aria is overhyped.

13. sbsbsb

Any other feedback here? Does Audio note really not produce a step up transformer that mates ideally with the Apheta 2?

14. Fred Hansen

I think they do. Have you asked your dealer?

15. Daniel from Rueil

Daniel from Rueil Well-Known Member

Hello,
    let me tell you my own story... which is not really that good at comparing the Apheta with an IQ.
    I had a Rega 3 (improved with many Groovetracer elements) with a Goldring Eroica LX (MC), and at the time a Clearaudio Smartphono on a EL 84 push pull from China.
    I purchased an Audio Note Oto Phono Sig and did not know what to do with the cartridge. In that sense I was in the same situation as you.

I had the opportunity to purchase a used IQ 2 (MM) before receiving the amp, but I was not happy to let go listening to MCs which I have been using for many years.
    Another opportunity presented itself to get a used step up transformer from Audio Note, a very old version of the S2 (no H or L information). What was I going to do?
    Many people on the french forum I go to told me that the best way to use a MC was with a step up transformer : I therefore jumped on it, and when I finally received the Oto, I was able to use the same TT with the SUT, and was happy with it. I was able to sell the IQ at about the same price, but I confess I did not even listen to it before! ... so much do I believe in the superiority of MCs in general, but I may be prejudiced!
    Since then, I got an old Voyd Valdi with an Audio note Arm II-1 (very good arm for a very decent price) and a Goldring Elite (those Goldring cartridges are very good indeed, it is the only place where I do not follow the AN way! but since the IQs are Goldrings revisited....), and I am even more happy .
    In my opinion, MCs are better, but I am not that rational about decision making since I did not compare with the IQ II, even though I have been told many times they are among the best in the league of MMs!

Best luck with your choice
    Daniel

beowulf likes this.
  16. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Have not heard your AN stage, but if you are going P8/Alpheta 2 the Aria is a natural choice. Very happy with the Alpheta/Aria in my system.

Super detail, tight bass, and massive soundstage.

Morbius likes this.
  17. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

I've got the iQ3 on my RP6 that @Warren Jarrett installed on my RB303 arm. I don't know enough about all the technical aspects, but it sounds great and Warren would have never installed it if he didn't think it was a good fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.