Rega Aria question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mark DeVito, Jun 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark DeVito

Mark DeVito Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello -

I've gone through the posts about the Rega Aria, but I still had a question about it.
    I currently have a RP3 with a Budgie preamp (It is a tube preamp).

I wanted to upgrade my preamp for a bit now and I wasn't sure if my turntable was good enough to warrant getting the Rega Aria.

I was hoping if someone with a bit more knowledge could chime in.

Thanks in advance.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I think you're asking the wrong question. "Is your cartridge worthy of a $1500 phono stage?" is the question you should be asking. Also have you done upgrades like replacing the subplatter that would get the most of a better cartridge? If you feel your cartridge you mounted is worthy of the Aria, you can be assured, it'll be fine.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  3. Mark DeVito

Thanks, I thought I was asking the wrong question (learning all this on the go and from reading different forums on here).
    I have a Ortofon 2M Black.
    I did not replace the subplatter yet either.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. Tiernoise

Tiernoise Forum Resident

The MM input of the Aria is supposedly only marginally better than a Rega Fono MM. Where the Aria really shines is with its MC input. I am sure there are better choices out there for a first class MM Cartridge like the 2M Black. Something from Graham Slee, perhaps?

Echoes Myron and The Dragon like this.
  5. Mark DeVito

I haven’t checked Graham Slee out. Have you used them before?

6. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I have heard the Aria, it is a good phono stage but I like brighter sound and that was the reason it wasn't for me but might be fine for you. Two things to keep in mind are 1) that Ortofon has a fairly high output just make sure whatever stage you get will not be overloaded by it's high output. 2) If possible go to a shop with your own budgie and get the seller to compare it to whatever you are buying. It's the best way to know you are going to be happy.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  7. Tiernoise

Tiernoise Forum Resident

Never, actually, but my Rega dealer swears by them. There are a wide variety of models and prices. I understand they are from the UK so may be more difficult to grab and/or pricier in the States.
    Hopefully someone read this and can chime in on good matches for the 2M Black.

Mark DeVito likes this.
  8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Have you seen this thread? Lots of good comparisons.

If you are eventually planning to move to a MC cart, then the Aria would be a great flexible option. I have used the Aria only with Rega carts (Exact and Alphets 2) and it is a very decent phono. I am sure it would play well with the 2M Black. Phono stages make a massive difference in sound, so you should definitely look around at others and try to get an in-home audition if possible.

A comparison of 6 phono stages for your reading pleasure...

9. Echoes Myron

Also if you are planning to keep the RP3 for the near future, a subplatter upgrade is highly recommended.

bluesaddict likes this.
  10. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Is there a Graham Slee loaner system in the US? There is one in the UK and Europe.

11. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I run a 2M Black on my RP8 along with the Aria. I bought it with a view to trying MC, I had a 2M bronze at the time which I later changed to Rega’s Ania MC cart when they launched it. I wasn’t in awe of the Ania cart if i’m Honest, sounded grainy and I had more sibilance than the Bronze. Eventually I bought a 2M Black stylus and I have no current desire to upgrade, sounds fantastic to me. Might be a waste not using the MC side and maybe someday I’ll look at that again. I suppose Rega is much cheaper here in the UK though, so that might be a factor to consider.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  12. Mark DeVito

Thank you!

13. Mark DeVito

I was planning on keeping it for the time being and upgrading the subplatter.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  14. Mark DeVito

Thanks for all the feedback.

I ended up upgrading my subplatter and going with a Parasound JC3 Jr after hearing it.
    Looking forward to both coming in now!

Dmann201, Echoes Myron and cut-out like this.
  15. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

Congrats! I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the JC3 vs. Aria—were you able to compare them both in your system?

Mark DeVito likes this.
  16. Colhogan

Colhogan Active Member

I had a stock Rega P3/24 for about 3 years,and did a complete set of upgrades,( TT PSU,Subplatter, Counterweight,RB 303 arm,2mm spacers,Cork mat), about 7 years ago. Well worth it.The 'table is basically a RP 6 without the plinth brace.

Echoes Myron and Mark DeVito like this.
  17. James1972

James1972 Well-Known Member

Following. Recommended phono stage for an RP6? Aria must still be an option?

18. Echoes Myron

Yes if you still have the Exact on it and also a good bet if you want to go to an MC cart in the future.

19. Paopawdecarabao

Paopawdecarabao Forum Resident

What if you have a Rega Cart but decided to move to a different cart in the future. Would you still recommend Aria in the price range?

20. Mark DeVito

I heard the JC3 Jr and loved it.
    It felt like it opened up the sound of my system more so that the Aria, which was really good as well.
    Looking forward to it coming in.

21. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I had a Graham Slee 2SE and it had all kinds of humming and radio frequency interference issues. I've had Rega and NAD external phono stages and various internal phono stages and never experienced those issues with these.

Mark DeVito likes this.
  22. Mark DeVito

Random question.
    Does anyone know what the cartridge mass is for a Ortofon 2M Bronze/Black?
    I got the groovetracer counterweights and it's probably me not looking correctly, but I'm using the 110 gram weight and wasn't sure if this was correct.

Thanks

23. Mark DeVito

I'm almost certain this is a rookie question, so I apologize, but I'm learning everyone on the go by myself through trial and error.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.