Rega Brio-R, Brio and IO small form factor integrated amplifiers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, Jan 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired! Thread Starter

Sometimes you just find something you love! These amps are it for me. All three destined to be classics. Great sound and value. I owned two Brio-R’s at one point. My ex-wife still has one of them tethered to her B&W speakers.

Right now I’m listening to my Spendor Classic 3/1’s with my IO and together they sound smooth and musical. Last weekend I had my Harbeth P3’s connected to the IO and that sounded wonderful as well... I really thought it would be mismatch and was surprised at how good it all sounded.

I have Brio on order and am looking forward to it’s arrival.

Perhaps I am just a LoFi guy!

2. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

I agree, loved my Brio-r. Sadly passed it along to my father to try on his little Harbeths as I just needed more power to my speakers. Stumbled across a good deal on a PS Audio and decided to try it and it did open up the sound significantly and sounds great, but I do miss something that the Brio gave me. My Rega amp journey isn't over tho, when I find a good deal on an Elex-r, it's mine!

Ntotrar and Art K like this.
  3. Art K

Yeah, certainly some of the amps I’ve owned have more of this or that but in the end I keep coming back to these little Rega amps. I have owned amps from LFD, Sugden, Sonneteer, Belles, Heed, Croft and so many more but still circle back around. My Croft isn’t going anywhere. It’s just taking some time off.

bhazen, Ntotrar and Noel Patterson like this.
  4. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Once you are into Fi meaning a brand like Rega it's not Low-fi.

Its got groove and is good enough where good recordings sound great. Also crappy recordings sound good.

Brio is a great place to be.

I have a Naim Unitiqute. Think Brio with DAC and streamer built in.

bhazen, Noel Patterson and Art K like this.
  5. Art K

I love the Naim sound as well. However, I do not want a DAC and streamer built in to my amp. A good phono, yes. If I did want the DAC built in certainly the Naim Uniti Atom would be at the top of my list.

bhazen likes this.
  6. russk

russk Forum Resident

Rega just makes good sounding amps. They don’t measure great and can be a little on the noisy side compared to the best modern examples but they sound great for the money. Naim, Rega, Audiolab, and Rotel are classic brands and always a safe go to recommendation.

Also like Nord’s integrated amps. I was surprised they were made in the UK for some reason. Small, light weight, and great sounding.

Then again I’m definitely a midfi guy in my old age. I like Yamaha, Marantz, Technics, Klipsch, and JBL so....

Ntotrar and Art K like this.
  7. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Miss my all Rega system.

maglorine, bhazen, timind and 4 others like this.
  8. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Always liked Rotel too, owned a couple small amps in the 90s. Been wondering what the new ones sound like.

SonicCzar, Manny-O-War, russk and 2 others like this.
  9. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have an all-Rega front end with the Elicit-R. Absolutely love it.

Great little amp--neutral and detailed, with just a touch of warmth.

10. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I think I've said over and over... if the Brio had an AV bypass I'd never have sold it. Absolutely fantastic amp.

Noel Patterson and Art K like this.
  11. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

Any dealers on the East Coast?

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

bhazen, GoldprintAudio, Ivand and 2 others like this.
  13. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have made up my mind, back to Rega. Just something lacking in my current system... With the right material it sounds amazing. So I find myself avoiding albums I otherwise loved. Horns? When I had front to back Rega I didn't have this problem...

Art K, Ivand, timind and 1 other person like this.
  14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I prefer tubes most of the time, but when the weather gets too warm for that, I bring this little guy out...

[​IMG]

I like my Brio-R so much that I've added some more Rega components to my system, a Fono MM and a DAC-R.

15. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Rega amps just gets better and better.
    Maybe not the final last word, but plain musically.

Their range have six amps, nine (maybe ten) turntables and much more, made in UK

shug4476 likes this.
  16. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Yep even the Elicit wasn't that transparent but it sure sounded great!

Also Rega really comes alive with vinyl.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  17. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Agreed. This exactly. I find this also true with Rega DAC. Rega makes music.

bhazen likes this.
  18. russk

russk Forum Resident

I’m in the U.S. but if I had Rega gear at UK prices it would be hard to justify anything else as far as components go. I could live happily with an Elicit-R and P6 with an Exact into a pair of the new Klipsch or JBL. Hell my Dac-r still holds its own when compared to new DACs I’ve tried from Schiit, Chord, and Topping.

fcdvpds, Ro-Go, bhazen and 1 other person like this.
  19. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

@Art K, weren't you one of those who warned me off the IO for my then-incoming P3esrs, suggesting that even for near-field listening I should have more power? I went with the Brio and love the combination, but I still periodically wonder if I could have saved a few hundred dollars, since all my listening on that system is near-field, low-volume at my desk.

Sorry if I've falsely accused you!

fcdvpds and Art K like this.
  20. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I replaced a NuForce IA-7 and Exposure 15 integrated amp with two Sonos Amps and couldn’t be happier. Both were used in a multi room setup and the Sonos Amps sound just as good and functionally work better with the gear they’re attached to.

21. Art K

You are correct, I did. Later in the same thread I corrected that. I will have a Brio very soon to compare directly in my own home. The IO is a lot more capable than I originally thought.

jcr64 and Ilusndweller like this.
  22. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I remember that IO thread and I was a bit skeptical bc of its light weight. Glad it is even better than you anticipated Art. I have always enjoyed your equipment reviews and thoughts, thanks!

//Rave review for the new $595 Rega Io Amplifier

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Art K and bhazen like this.
  23. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Naw. You've got an ear for musicality and value! :)

I haven't heard the iO yet, but it appears to be stunning musical value for the money (very positive reviews from people I trust.) I had the Brio-R for awhile, and have to say that, in my room anyway, I'm not sure the money I spent for the Nait XS2 I have now was really all that worth it.

Rega really knows how to make a musical, affordable amp. ♡

I agree with the sentiments expressed about the Rega DAC-R, too ... an underappreciated jewel.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Noel Patterson and Art K like this.
  24. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Ok, not going back to Rega just yet but I'm going to try something different. If it doesn't work out then I'll probably be Rega bound!

bhazen likes this.
  25. Art K

Line Magnetic not working for you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.