Rega DAC 176.4 khz glitch

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ThorensTD124, Jun 23, 2022.

1. ThorensTD124

ThorensTD124 Active Member Thread Starter

Hello All,

I am very close to purchasing an early vintage Rega DAC - not r version. It is within the serial# range in which there was issue with output a 176.4 khz. The owner says they have not noticed this as they do not have a lot of tracks at that resolution. Back when the DAC first came out in 2011 they would repair these for free and dacs built after May 2011 had the issue remedied.

Can anyone say how serious an issue this might be? Am I likely to encounter it? The North America Rega distributor seems to not be able to shed much light as to whether it can be fixed or how likely it is to be a problem. If it did require being repaired it would likely be at my cost and require shipping from my location in Victoria B.C. to the Rega service centre in either Quebec or Texas. I am not too keen on buying something if that is a likelihood.

Thanks,
    Garth

2. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

A difficult sample rate to find. I own no source material at it.

3. ThorensTD124

Thanks! I am pretty ignorant about these things. I would use it as a DAC for a CD transport and maybe my DVD player and my Node 2i streaming Tidal but maybe Qubuz when it is available in Canada.

Not too sure where I would find a file at 176.4 khz.

4. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

In my library of about 3500 albums, I have 4 at that sample rate. Three on the BIS label (downloaded from eClassical.com), and one on the Reference Recordings label. It is not common. Some file players allow downsampling such to 88.2 kHz. With good quality sample-rate conversion, I would expect little or no audible loss of sound quality.

5. ThorensTD124

Good to know! Thanks!

6. ThorensTD124

Thanks Mike!