Rega DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brandon Marlow, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Music Lover

Comparing the relative sonic characteristics of both the Qutest and the Moon 280D, I can completely understand that. I completely agree that the Moon 280D was smoother in sound than the Qutest even though my preference between the two leaned toward the Qutest.

But my impression is that the Pontus had better resolution of all parts of music than the Qutest along with much more tonal color as well as a smoother, more organic sound quality. Personal preference is also important as well because I've found that sound quality differences can exist in multiple dimensions.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    MGW likes this.
  2. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

Dump the Rega and get something that doesn’t drop mains noise into the signal.

3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

One of the best DACs ever made (by which I mean, it sounds great! The Rega ethos works).

4. Night Version

bloated and slow - destroyed by all objective reviews at the time. Plagued by dumb engineering. Best ever? Only if your ears are made of tin.

marcin375 likes this.
  5. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I have the OG Rega DAC and I think it delivers an engaging sound when paired with my Rega Elex-R amplifier.

bhazen and PhotoMax like this.
  6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I had this DAC and enjoyed it until I replaced it with the "R" version.

bhazen likes this.
  7. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

They are exactly the same while "R has some other added features

8. Night Version

They aren't the same. The R quietly fixed the bass bloat issue caused by power supply noise. Also added hi-res USB input. And a remote.

Ntotrar likes this.
  9. Pmds55889397

Never heard any bas bloat from mine, its not an R.

popol_vuh likes this.
  10. Night Version

Its well reported and measured by Stereophile. Rega even commented defensively in the publication but the very next update saw the noise fixed and bass bloat gone. hmmmmmm.

I pre-ordered mine and was among the first in the US to have one. I was struck by the slow overpowering bass into my Thiel 2.4's. The bloat was severe (Jeff Dorgay called it a "bass monster!"). Turns out it was due to power supply noise per John Atkinson's investigation.

The bass bloat was quietly fixed in the first update.

Some might like this subjectively in the same way they like distorted tubes or surface noise. But objectively it's still noise.

Jimi Floyd, WDeranged and marcin375 like this.
  11. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

If you like the Rega DAC get a USB to spdif converter or a new source.

Topping D10s DAC has Coax and Toslink output. It also has ess dac in it. I use it as a usb/spdif converter and it's display shows sample rate. Its a modest outlay to get going.

That being said I think you'll find sonic improvement across the board.

WDeranged likes this.
  12. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

OMG I thought I was crazy...good to hear I was not. I had a Rega DAC a few years ago and definitely could hear an annoying bass "bump".
    How does one know if a unit is a "good" one?

13. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Not that great, makes pretty much everything sound warm and fuzzy.

14. starkiller

starkiller Forum Resident

Have the original Rega DAC and to me it sounds very very good, early S/N of 939 also, no noise in my system

15. Rege Bamyasi

Rege Bamyasi Well-Known Member

Yes but it depends on the recording (I've only experimented with CD, I don't stream much). Typically, in my system, filter 1 will muffle things down in the higher frequencies and constrict or hollow out the whole lower end, whereas 2 and 3 open things up and fill out the lower end. The difference between 2 and 3 is more subtle and difficult to describe but they can be spacious in different ways, or sometimes 2 sounds more natural than 3. However, with certain recordings, 1 actually has better balance and sounds more relaxed in the lower end while the two others are almost boomy. And with yet some other recordings, I struggle to hear a difference at all.

16. Pmds55889397

ditto

17. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

I do own the Rega DAC-R (same DAC as in the Saturn) and love it very much. Very natural indeed.
    Could you please tell what differences you hear between the Rega and the Pontus?
    Thanks in advance.

Tone? likes this.
  18. Calvin_and_Hobbes

I have a Pontus II and had a Rega DAC-R loaned to me for several weeks. The Rega DAC-R is warm in sound, but the Pontus is equally so, if not more so. The Pontus has far more resolution, tonal richness, pace and rhythm. Also, the Pontus has a somewhat unique ability to produce a different sound signature based on the type of music being played, i.e., calmer for quieter music and more upbeat for music with those characteristics. The Pontus produces music at a far higher level of quality than does the Rega DAC-R. With a Supra LoRad power cord, I was quite surprised to find that I preferred the sound from the Pontus over that from a $14.5k dCS Bartok that I heard last summer.

Ivand and Tone? like this.
  19. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Sounds about right.

i mean to me good DACs shouldn’t sound too far apart .
    If the Bartok sounded that much different , one is probably lying.

seems to me these super over priced DACs have a lot of ‘ fluff”.
    If you can afford them more power to you.

That being said I’m sure the Rega sounds really good. They know their analog really well.
    Probably beats the hell out of a cheap topping DAC. Which are just god awful

Francois1968 likes this.
  20. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

Thank you for answering my question.
    I don't recognize any of the "shortcomings" you mentioned. To my ears the Rega offers lots of resolution, tonal richness and PRAT is even one of its strong suits. It also is very well able to show the characteristics of all sorts of music. Rock does sound snapy, with punch, while a piece of classical piano music does sound calm (with a quiet dark background). Daft Punk sounds exiting as it should be while a meditation CD sounds like a breeze or wave...............
    This does not mean I'm saying your findings are not true. Maybe what we've heard is system depended.

Last edited: May 3, 2023
    Calvin_and_Hobbes and Tone? like this.
  21. Calvin_and_Hobbes

I have two data points on this.

A Chord Hugo TT + MScaler sounded absolutely lifeless to me. Quite surprising really. Otherwise after getting the Pontus, I've pretty much lost interest in hearing other DACs and have only listened to a dCS Bartok last summer and a dCS Rossini recently. I think the dCS Rossini does have more resolution than does my Pontus, but that difference was not strikingly evident.

Also, adding a $91 Supra LoRad power cord to my Pontus DAC in place of a $150 Shunyata Venom V14 was a bigger sound quality than the difference between my Pontus and the dCS Bartok. The benefits I hear are more clarity, better resolution, and more sense of spatial cues and "air" around voices and instruments. This is a list of power cords that I tried and the best sounding was the Supra LoRad.

Tripp-Lite Heavy Duty: $15
    Audiophile AC Power Cable - WAudio 10AWG HiFi Power Cord 3.3FT : $35.99
    Pangea AC-14: $44.95
    Pangea AC-14 SE MkII: $79.95
    Supra LoRad: $91
    Shunyata Venom V14: $135
    Audience F3 Forte: $150
    AV Options Cryo TibiaPlus12 Power Cord: $249
    Synergistic Research UEF Blue: $499
    Shunyata Research Venom V10 NR: $600
    Shunyata Research Delta XC: $1400 - intended for power conditioners not DAC, but my Pontus DAC doesn't seem to do well with power cords with built in noise reduction.

22. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This is my only pet peeve -- happens in the Rega DAC-R and, interestingly, they have not done anything to change it in the Elex-R amplifier. Sure is the same same DAC inside...

That being said, I still love the sound of Rega DACs...

Ivand likes this.
  23. Peter Gabriel

Peter Gabriel Well-Known Member

I went through a lot of DAC’s before I settled on the Rega DAC. None of my first tries, no matter how expensive, could match the analogue sound and overall oomph of the Rega. Where some of my earlier tries sounded great with certain music genres, less so with others, the Rega just grooved along with everything I threw its way. It is a very pleasent listen without being boring. It makes you wanna get up and dance to dance music, while it rocks hard to even the most extreme metal.

I believe I bought it around 2011, and only yesterday (the reason I started searching the web and found this thread) I had my first issue with the DAC. Just switching from Deezer hifi to Apple Music I stumbled over a song in 176,4Khz and the Rega DAC started stuttering. Couldn’t log on to the sample rate. Off course back in the day Rega had a fix (free) for this, but I don’t know what to do so many years later. I have written to the Danish distributor. Crossing fingers.

By the way, I use a Topping D10s to feed the DAC from an iPad. Digital out via iPads lightning (using camera adapter) to the D10s’ USB in and coaxial out to the Rega. Works amazingly well.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023