Rega Elex-R Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by beeliii, Aug 15, 2022.

1. beeliii

beeliii Member Thread Starter

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. This is my current set-up:

Harbeth P3esr
    Rega Planar 6
    NAD D3045
    Rothwell Rialto

I have a curious problem where for about 10% of my records (mostly newer pressings) for the first half of the first song (on each side) the sound cuts in and out. It is as if the needle is jumping, but if I turn down the volume, it plays fine. After the first song, if I put the volume up higher it plays normal.

My questions are these:

Would an upgrade on the amp potentially fix this issue? I would like to make an upgrade anyways.

If I got the Elex-R, would the Rothwell Rialto be necessary anymore?

Thank you very much!

Jazzabana likes this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

This does not sound like an amp issue at all to me. I suggest you check you turntable/cartridge setup.

jonwoody, lazycat57 and this_machine like this.
  3. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Depends on your phono cartridge. The Elex-R phono stage supports MM/MI and HOMC cartridges. The Rothwell Rialto also supports LOMC cartridges.

4. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Agreed, the amp is the least likely culprit. You might want to clean the leads on the cartridge, but be carefull!! those rega leads are tiny and fragile!

5. beeliii

Interesting...Then why do 90% of the records play perfectly fine?

6. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Is it always the same records that have this issue, or does it just fail randomly 10% of the time. If it's the same records that consistently fail, I would suggest checking the height adjustment of your cueing platform. Records vary in thickness. If your cueing platform height isn't properly adjusted, the tonearm may be binding/dragging on the top of the cueing platform when playing your thicker records causing the "skipping" you are experiencing.

Here's a sort video that shows how to adjust the height of the cueing platform:

vinylvin and louis_anthony like this.
  7. beeliii

Interesting, thanks for the tip. It IS the same records that do it. The only thing is though, every single one of them plays through fine if the volume is lowered.

8. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

I wonder if you’ve got some feedback from the speakers. The P6 does really well with isolation, though, so it seems unlikely. Are the speakers near or sharing a surface with the turntable?

9. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

It's easy enough to check. Just play one of the offending records and see if the tonearm clears the cueing platform. Regardless, there's no reason to have it anywhere close enough that it could interfere with the tonearm during playback, regardless of the record thickness.

vinylvin and this_machine like this.
  10. beeliii

The turntable is isolated on its own surface. I will try the cueing platform adjustment tonight. The only thing is, why would the record still play fine at a lower volume?

11. Jazzabana

Jazzabana Qobuz all the way

I would keep rialto since I heard elex-r, elicit-r yet rega fono mm mk3 sounded better than either one of the onboard phono preamps.

12. Tiernoise

Tiernoise Forum Resident

Most likely feedback issue, otherwise you would have the same problem at a lower volume. If you have suspended wooden floor, feedback is most likely the culprit. Use a wallshelf or try to improve isolation. If you have concrete floor, then the turntable would be isolated enough as is.

[Edit]: The P3ESR are not particularly bass heavy, though, but they could still generate some feedback in the right (wrong) condition...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  13. beeliii

My turntable is on a separate shelf with isolation pucks underneath. My speakers are on stands also with pucks underneath. It’s pretty isolated

this_machine likes this.
  14. this_machine

I'd vote cueing platform then. The responsiveness to volume level is weird for sure (and usually indicates a feedback-related issue), but maybe you're just noticing cutouts more so at higher volumes? Anyway, it's worth checking cueing.

15. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

I have no idea. It sounds like a mechanical issue (isolation, improper anti-skate, cueing platform rubbing on tonearm with thicker records, improper alignment or VTF, etc.), not an electrical one. Could be a combination of issues, none of which will likely be cured by changing your amp. Regardless how it manifests, just remember:

[​IMG]

BTW, I am not suggesting you shouldn't upgrade your amp to an Elex-R. I'm picking one up myself on Saturday. It won't solve the problem you are having, but it will likely improve your system performance in other ways.

timind and this_machine like this.
  16. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I'm not sure how this would help but it may help narrow things with respect to feedback - if you plug in headphones, muting the speakers, at a volume where the problem is showing, does the sound continue to cut out on phones? The headphone amp is probably separate within the amp but if the cutting-out still occurs on headphones it would help rule out feedback from the speakers.

this_machine and MCM_Fan like this.
  17. beeliii

The cutting out is only from the speakers. If the amp is mute, I hear the vinyl playing with no issues + works on lower volumes.
    Thanks everyone! Weird issue…

this_machine and GordonM like this.
  18. this_machine

As another test try putting some more distance between speakers and table. I know it seems unlikely that there's mechanical feedback given your isolation, but it's easy enough to rule out with some re-positioning.

GordonM likes this.
  19. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

Does that amp have some sort of clipping control?

20. beeliii

I just did some tests.

- plays perfectly well with headphones plugged into the amp, at any volume
    - moving the speakers further away did nothing
    - it's not close to touching the cueing lever

It has the be the connection from the amp to speakers, no?

Thanks again!

this_machine likes this.
  21. this_machine

Always worth double-checking your speaker wire connections at both amp and speaker. It seems strange that you'd only have issues on some albums, but who knows at this point.

22. beeliii

Is there any way it could be a defect with the album? It just doesn't make sense that it would be so many that do it

23. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Swap the speaker cables at the amp. If the problem switches speaker it is not a problem with the speakers. Swap back speaker cables.

Swap leads going to phono input. Does problem switch speakers? If so, the problem is with phono leads or TT (or record) ie. source. Swap back phono leads.

Edit- power off when swapping cables or leads.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  24. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

If you can buy the Elex, do it. It is leagues better than the NAD, and, well, perhaps, its phono stage will best what you have. That amp is weirdly special.

I don't spin records anymore and never encountered your issue, so I have no opinion there. There is much to troubleshoot, and I'd start with the turntable.

MCM_Fan and ls35a like this.
  25. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

@beeliii Did you ever figure out the cause of your skipping issue?

And just FYI, I picked up a gently used Elex-R from a local dealer on Saturday, I have to say, I am very impressed. If you're still leaning toward purchasing a new amp, I highly recommend the Elex-R.