Rega Exact/Exact 2 confustion

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by developstopfix, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. developstopfix

developstopfix Member Thread Starter

I've noticed that some retailers are selling the Rega Exact 2 cartridge, while others have it listed as Exact Mk 2, and still others have it listed simply as Exact. Rega themselves seem to only acknowledge the "Exact" name, unlike the Elys 2. Are they all the same cart? If not, what are the differences? From what I've seen it generally is being sold at the same price regardless of what it's called so I can only assume there's no actual difference, but I don't want to end up paying for the new and improved version and ending up with the older version, if that is the case.

2. Its the same cart.

3. I think the Exact II has been out for so long(almost 10 years?) that they just call it the Exact. I guess the "II" just never stuck..

GyroSE and Fishoutofwater like this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Mark is short for trademark. I have a VW GTI MkV. So, it's the 5th design iteration of the trademarked Volkswagen model. So there's no difference. It can also be used for bands. Deep Purple MkII is Gillan, Blackmore, Glover, Paice and Lord. MKI had Rod Evans on vocals and Nick Simper on bass.

5. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I believe there was an original Exact and then a second version and there is a difference. I would think that Exact 2 and Exact mk2 are exactly the same however.

6. Spot on x

7. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I haven't been able to get an answer to this question. Were there two different Rega Exact versions ?

For example on Amazon Germany there is a Rega Exact listed B01KLOSZOM which has had a fixed price of 399 Euro since Jan 18.

Then there is a Rega Exact B00B3SPKM6 which was priced between 300 and 350 Euro since January 2017 but is now not available.

Is there any difference between these two items ?

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The issue is now just one of semantics. The Exact cartridge did receive a makeover perhaps ten years or so ago. There were three physical differences. The coils went from being hand wound to being machine wound for a more precise layer and so a reduction in the length of wire required to make the same number of turns. That lowered distortion some. Then there was the new suspension material, Poron. That made the sound more dynamic. Last was a different rear plate material. Not sure what that did sonically but it could effect insulating and damping properties. When these cartridges were first shipped, some dealers got the word and so dubbed it the Exact 2. Rega may have even called it that but eventually I guess they just thought that it sounded silly and reverted to just calling it the Exact. No matter as it was long enough ago now that all dealer inventory at this point must be the new and improved version regardless of what it is described as.
    -Bill

timnor, beowulf and Fishoutofwater like this.
  9. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Do they look different from one another?

10. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Thanks Bill. The odd thing is that this means both the Exacts listed on Amazon Germany are the same. So it's odd that there was such a significant price difference.

11. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me. I purchased a used Rega Exact. It was sent to me and I picked it up tonight.
    When I opened the cardboard box it was sent it the cartridge had fallen out of the the plastic Rega box and even
    the clear plastic removable needle protection had fallen off. So the cart had been unprotected in the box although
    I am not sure for how long.

The seller has been really fair and offered to take it back and provide a refund. I'd like to check it is ok and keep it but I'm not sure if that
    is sensible. What would you advise ? Is there something I can check or have checked or should I just return it ?
    Your advice is most welcome.

12. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

BTW the cantilever is straight but I have no idea how long the cart was rolling inside the box

13. It will only take a few minutes to install it. Give it a listen. If alls good , keep it, if not send it back. There is no easier cart to set up, on a rega arm!

KT88 and timnor like this.
  14. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Thanks a lot. That's what I was thinking too but I wasn't sure if it's that simple. Would problems caused by transport be immediately apparent ? Is it really the case that any damage would heard and if it sounds good then I can rest easy knowing all is ok ?

15. I guess if it looks ok, ie, nothing bent etc, and if it sounds good, then all should be fine. If you have a magnifying glass, check that it looks ok. If in doubt send it back. I dropped an exact once and it bounced a few times on a hard floor!! It played fine and never caused me any concern. Good luck

timnor likes this.
  16. By the way; the Exact should sound so much better than the Elyse 2 that you are using. The Exact is a FAR better cart imo

17. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Just do what Fishoutofwater suggests. My experience is the same. It's a mechanical item for the most part, so if it looks good, it most likely is good. A quick listen should confirm that it is then also electrically sound. No way to insure anything for long term though. Styff breaks, stuff wears out, etc. If you want new performance and new guarantee, then buy new. With used gear there should be a savings that you can apply to repairs later if needed, but that doesn't apply as much to most cartridges.
    -Bill

timnor and Fishoutofwater like this.
  18. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Thanks so much. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. Hot damn ! As usual I cannot find that Rega alignment sheet. Do I really need it with the three point system ?

19. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

No. You can verify it later when you find it, but there really isn't much room there for movement. If you install the two side bolts from the bottom, so that the nuts are in the slots on top of the arm, then there is even less movement and it's damn near perfect for Stevenson's geometry alignment. That's the factory install method.
    -Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.