Rega introduces the new Rega Planar 6 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

According to Rega (http://www.rega.co.uk/international-dealers.html) , Alpha Audio and Video is the Rega distributor in Brazil:

Alpha Audio and Video
    Rua Barao de Itapetininga No 37 - Loja 56
    Centro - Sao Paulo - SP - Brazil
    Brazil

Tel: +55 11 3255 2849 / 3255 9353

Email: [email protected]
    Web: www.alphaav.com.br

displayname and punkmusick like this.
  2. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I use a very small headshell bubble level.

The Pioneer has its idiosyncrasies. The platter and the table are not perfectly leveled to each other. If I level it according to the platter (put the level hardware in the platter), the table will be slightly unleveled. If I level the table, the platter will be slightly unleveled. And the headshell is in a third level, not leveled to the table and not leveled to the platter. No matter if I level the table or the platter, the stock headshell remains unleveled. One channel appears to play a bit louder than the other.

I level the platter and use a headshell with azimuth adjustment to level it too so both platter and headshell will be leveled and both channels will be equal. The table being unleveled should apply a force to the tonearm but I can neutralize it with anti-skate.

This experience makes me a bit afraid to buy a table with no azimuth adjustment. I really feel more confident having all the adjustments that a Technics-like arm provides.

I suppose a Planar 6 being three times more expensive and made in England would have plinth, platter and headshell all perfectly leveled but what if they're not?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  3. punkmusick

Yes. The SL-1200GR is at about the same price level too. I'm waiting to see what happens, maybe things will settle down until July, not sure. Not in a hurry, I really like the PLX-1000 despite its limitations. It sounds great.

displayname likes this.
  4. punkmusick

displayname likes this.
  5. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I'm not sure how other P6 owners feel, but I'm not a fan of the lack of adjustability or shims and other limitations. But I did like the sound. And if the Rega ends up being the TT that comes come, I am going to mentally commit to the Rega "system". I don't know how much of that magic that surprised me was one element over another. I just know that the sum of the parts was impressive and the annoyance of using non-Rega carts and shims is enough to leave it sounding great on it's own.

athensdrums and punkmusick like this.
  6. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Well, we want azimuth adjustment on our tonearms to set the the correct contact angle between the stylus and the groove walls, not to center a bubble. If you aren't adjusting with a meter or by listening, you may just be making it worse. Rega isn't wrong for not offering azimuth adjustment if they don't think their customers can make good use of it, and like most common VTA adjustment mechanisms, an azimuth adjustment provision will will normally reduce the structural rigidity of the tonearm, which I think is one of the main Rega strong points (though machining operations on their lower cost arms apparently aren't as good as they might be).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  7. punkmusick

I'm not adjusting to level a bubble, but to make both channels sound the same. With the headshell unleveled, twisted to the left, the left channel played louder and the center image was to the left. When I leveled it, soundstage became centered. I believe what a Rega it would be leveled right from the box, but who knows.

8. Davey

OK, but you generally adjust azimuth for minimal phase difference and/or cross-talk between channels, not to compensate for unequal channel balance.

In any case, we agree, I'm just pointing out that most people don't have the equipment or experience to make use of azimuth adjustment capability, but I would still like to see it on all tonearms I use, it's just part of the package, whether you can effectively use it or not :)

9. I’m someone who is the perfect Rega customer. I hate futzing with this stuff. I enjoy great sound yet I want the ease of setup and operation so I’ve been extremely happy living in what is sort of the semi Rega ecco system.

I started with them a few years ago with an RP6 and recently moved up to an RP8 and their Ania MC and Aria stage. The hobby of swapping out to different carts now simply doesn’t interest me. The synergy here is sublime so the ease of ongoing use and quality of build and sound suits this music lover perfectly.

But I do understand the hobby of playing around with gear and testing different carts and arms and things. Just doesn’t interest me. Except that I wish I went for the Ania MC much earlier. But I was happy with the Exact.

10. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

While I’ve only had this table/cart/phono stage for a day, that seems to be the case here as well (reduced surface noise).

Not to sound like a broken record (ha), but I am absolutely thrilled with this new Rega combo. Best purchase in many years.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  11. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Mazzy, I also hate futzing with set-up, but do yourself a favor and try Baerwald alignment with your Ania. It's a huge improvement over Rega's alignment. Just order a MoFi Geodisc and align to the dot--super easy and super easy to switch back if you don't like it. Trust me. TRUST ME!

12. My local dealer here in Seattle has a turntable whiz. He brought me the Ania and Aria and did the setup. I think I’m good for now but thank you for the suggestion .

rischa likes this.
  13. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I get it. That said, a proffessional isn't required to achieve correct alignment using Rega's 3-point system, if you're implying improper set-up was the cause of my dissastisfaction. Anyway, hope you give it a shot someday. In the meantime, happy you are enjoying your system!

14. Oh no. These are ez to set.i could have done it myself.

I’ve bought a few things from Hawthorne Stereo here in Seattle. They are music freaks and not just stereo hi fi nuts. This guy lives not too far from me

He just knows this stuff so well I’m happy for him to offer.

It’s great to invest in a local retailer for the long haul if you can. imho

chacha and rischa like this.
  15. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Why would Rega use the 3 point system if Baerwald was better?

H8SLKC likes this.
  16. Davey

Well, they could still use their 3-point mount with Baerwald, or any other alignment for that matter, but they chose something closer to Stevenson. These type of debates have been ongoing since the 70s or before, I've personally never heard a big difference between the different alignments, there aren't really dramatic differences in the distortion curves between them, but maybe I just don't care enough to go back and forth enough times to be sure which one is really the best, it's a little cumbersome and there are so many other variables that can also effect the sound, such as screw tightness, etc :)

H8SLKC likes this.
  17. Guth

Guth Music Lover

Hawthorne Stereo is a gem of a shop. I've found it to be worth the drive up from Portland to visit them and shop there.

18. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Bought a Linn Axis and LP12 plus a Naim system around 1990 from Bob. Great service.

19. Guth

Guth Music Lover

I continue to marvel at the lightweight plinth on the Planar 6. I realize that it is just a continuation of Rega's design ethos, but this particular refinement still strikes me as quite a neat feat of engineering.

displayname and Echoes Myron like this.
  20. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Anyone know what the weight of the P6 is with dustcover and platter removed... i weighed my P7 and P3 once... posted about it somewhere probably early in this thread... i have a P9 now so ill weigh it too... i imagine the P6 will be great deal light than all

21. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I don't know the exact weight, but I picked one up when I demoed. I would be shocked if it was much over 2 pounds. It's confusingly light. Unquestionably lighter than my UTurn when the dust cover and platter are removed.

22. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Neaunce shelf used as plinth?

23. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Any news on a P8? I LOVE my RP6 tables but I am thinking about replacing one with a P8 maybe next year, or maybe a clearance price RP8 when the new one comes out.

24. Record Fan

Record Fan Forum Resident

I picked up the Planar 6 with the Ania MC this weekend. I must say that I am extremely impressed.

I traded in my RP3 - circa 2011 for the Planar 6. My dealer gave me $500 for the P3 so I was $1600 out the door.

I must say that the upgrade has been astounding to say the least. I cannot express in words how clean and open my record collection sounds now. I’m hearing it like I never had before.

In comparison my P3 dragged and sounded muffled compared to the Planar 6. Whilst owning the P3 I started with the Elys2 cartridge and then ‘upgraded’ to The Ortofon Blue which offered some improvement. However, I was not satisfied. I wanted more. After auditioning the Planar 6, I found my happy place. I compared similar tables at similar price points such as VPI, Music Hall and Pro-Ject. The Rega beat them hands down IMHO.

Disclaimer...I run a relatively budget integrated set-up ( system info in profile). But, if you have the means, I highly recommend the Planar 6 with the Ania MC.

YMMV....

25. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.