Rega introduces the new Rega Planar 6 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Well, I had to use the underslung. My Ortofon required the 8mm posts. 6mm for the cartridge and 2mm more to compensate for the 12mm thick Rega glass platter. The 10mm thick platter was not in production at the time that I did the upgrade. So, yes, it depends on the situation of course.

dbsea likes this.
  2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

BTW....Ortofon Quintet. They are about the tallest carts.

3. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

That's helpful to know. Having not done any research, I figured they'd have similar dimensions to the 2M series. Not having to bother with spacers or special counterweights does make the ania a very attractive option (depending how it sounds of course).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  4. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

This came in very handy:
    Cartridges dimensions chart

Shiver likes this.
  5. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

So did Rega call the new TTPSU Neo as a nod to the Matrix and his altered perception of time? Everyone says our TTs run fast, what shall we call it now they can slow them down...

LARGERTHAN and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  6. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

New Engine Option like Airbus and Boeing. LOL.

7. james

james Summon The Queen

The Planar 6 looks like a winner.

I am more interested in the new LOMC, though. Any reviews yet?

8. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I saw some reviews from sources outside of the States. Looks good so far.

9. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

Here's a review of the Ania - Rega Ania & Fono MC | The Ear

james and dbsea like this.
  10. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Read the review, its nice they go into detail about the Fono MC which might typically be paired with the Ania.

11. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Did they fix the off speed problem yet that exists on all models throughout the line?

This is the main reason I gave up on them and my RP6 last year.

12. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

by having user adjustable speed control ? Well then yes they did ..

The Neo PSU offers electronic speed change, advanced anti-vibration control and user adjustable electronic fine speed adjustment only found on the RP10 until now. See 'product details' tab below for full information.

13. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

I would've liked it if they'd called it 'The TimeWarp', after the dance in The Rocky Horror Picture Show. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  14. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Mine ran absurdly fast until it got gutted.

15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

those solder joints look worse than my first radio shack kit i made in junior high school.
    it looks good on paper and the Fono appears to put out a very nice 69.5 db gain that should be more than ample for the 3.5mv output of the Ania.
    Whether an elliptical profile stylus can let the Anuia sound better than the warhorse Dynavector DV20 X2L remains to be seen.

Randoms and kenbefound like this.
  16. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

There's a few reviews out there, all of them glowing, but very little end user feedback. I just ordered one as my current cart has 18 months heavy use on it and I'm wanting to try the mc side of my aria. Dealer said he'd had good feedback from the few he'd sold... will keep you posted, it'll be here next week as they're making more at the moment.

james and dbsea like this.
  17. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Saving up for the Planar 6. I've never had a turntable with a separate power supply. Looking through the manual it appears I will also need two sets of RCA audio cables. (I'm presuming no cabling comes with Rega units that have the separate power supply) Any cable suggestions for this turntable?

18. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

The Rega will already have the RCA cables attached to the tonearm. You only need another set if your using an outboard phono stage together with your pre-amp or integrated amp.

KOWHeigel likes this.
  19. chapin99

chapin99 Forum Resident

Speaking of the p-25: i have loved mine with its many mods and am using a DV 20X low cart which has always seemed a perfect match to me. If I were to upgrade to the new planar 6, would you suggest keeping my dv or buying it with that new cart? Thanks for any opinion here.

20. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Rega has a review from the July Hi Fi Choice which also covers the Fono MC.

james likes this.
  21. matt lane

matt lane Forum Resident

Similar question here - I will be ordering the new Planar 6. My dealer sells DV carts as well.

What is the consensus:

1. Use a Rega mounted cart?

2. Purchase and mount a Dynavector - and if so, which DV model would be a good match - sound and price?

For info, I am just getting back into vinyl. Will be running through a C2300 (tube, both MM or MC supported)>>501's>> 800D.

Thanks for the advice!

Matt

22. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

With 800D's, I would go DV, they have a warmer balance than the Rega MC carts. I'm using a DV 20x2h on 2016 P3 and it works really well, so I would recommend the 20x2L or the KaratD3 models.

Gardo likes this.
  23. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Well, lead free solder is a pain to use. Because of the rohs directive, we've got solder as dangerous as before, harder to use than before, and more likely to fail, than before. The military won't touch it.

Never mind, at least it hasn't got lead in it!

Rolltide likes this.
  24. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

I wasn't impressed with Rega after owning an RP6 for a few months. The first one I received had a warped subplatter. Then I ordered the no so inexpensive Groovetracer subplatter. I had the upgraded white belt as well and the thing still ran fast and at least in my system, and didn't sound much better (if any) than an old technics sl-1200mkII.

I thought about the new P3, but everyone seems to think you need to upgrade it. Why spend nearly 1K on a turntable and then have to feel the need to upgrade?

johnny q and Rolltide like this.
  25. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

For that matter -- why even market any TT's under 10K? Just make the best one possible and offer nothing less.

PhxJohn, Paul K, Mazzy and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.