Rega introduces the new Rega Planar 6 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Hopefully your record didn't jump to the left, or step to the right.

Squiggsy68 and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  2. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Lolz. :laugh:

3. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

You don't need to upgrade it. It sounds great as it is. It's just that there are a few things that can be upgraded for modest cost if one wants to go down that path. For $1K that's to be expected I think. But I would say, if you had an RP6 and didn't like it, I'd probably look at other options besides Rega. Rega tables aren't perfect, but to a lot of us they sound great with relatively little fuss, and the upgrade options can be fun.

luckyno13, Bob_in_OKC, H8SLKC and 3 others like this.
  4. Agree. I have an RP 6 w groovetracer and white belt. It's sounded good out of the box and even better now w those upgrades. Yes it's slightly fast but I don't notice it. My musician friend does but it sounds fantastic to me in my system .

If I was buying now and didn't have this table I'd certainly get the P6 but from here I'd go with an RP 8 or 10 if I ever upgrade. Personally I'll stay with Rega. Their sound and design suits my needs and likes. It's a personal taste thing.

I love that these Regas are not fussy. I'm not into all the minute setting that some tables have. I just want to play records and have the music sound great. I'm really not a gear head. The music is more important. And I'm not saying that folks into gear don't love the music

Opeth, John Woo, Ghostworld and 6 others like this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I always look at Regas and think "great arm!" and "boring table."

6. Could be but they never get in the way of the music.

beverett and andybeau like this.
  7. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

Why is it that people don't seem to have a problem understanding options on new cars, but some of you here have a problem with options on turntables?

sturgus and Mazzy like this.
  8. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I ditched mine after a week. Good sound but my platter wobbled and the speed problems annoyed me. Very happy with my Music Hall 7.3

9. Cyclone Ranger

Sounds like Rega quality-control is maybe not the very bestest, eh?... :(

Anyone else have any Rega issues?

PhxJohn likes this.
  10. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

[​IMG]

Donniej likes this.
  11. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Love my RP6.

12. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

I'm loving my RP6 much more with the GrooveTracer subplatter. Is the pricey white belt worth it?

13. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

I cant speak for the newer tables but ive owned 3 older models and have had no issues with any of them. No platter wobble, no arm issues, fit and finish excellent on all 3. One did run a little fast which i will list below.

P3 - 24 ran at 33.5 - 0.6% fast and IMO undetectable as long as the speed is stable which it was.
    P7 runs at a rock solid 33.3
    P5 ran at 34.2 yes thats fast (2.7% fast) and beyond tolerance in my opinion and the reason i moved the table on. Had i not checked speed would i have noticed? I really dont think so but i bought the P7 so quickly i only listened to the P5 twice so cant say for certain. Reasoning is across a 5 minute song which is 300 seconds at 33.3 rpm which would mean 34.2 rpm would end the song at 291.9 seconds. A 5 second block at 33.3 is 4.865 seconds at 34.2, if anyone can discern a 1.35 tenths of a second difference every 5 seconds then i bow down to them. However if you A/B tested the differences may become apparent upon careful comparison. Someone new to vinyl who hasnt been listening to 33.3 rpm their whole life wouldnt notice and as long as the table is fundamentally good the speed difference is negligible. In my opinion at the price point of the P3 the speed difference is acceptable up to around 2%, P6 should be 1% and above that no difference.

14. I added a Heed Orbit 2 PSU to my P3 nd i have no speed issues. Until i added the Heed i didnt notice anything untoward but with the Heed i can truly say everything improved. A PSU is a good investment and the Planar 6 comes with its own PSU. Worth a listen

Gavinyl likes this.
  15. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I had read about the frequent issues with the RP1 so I bought the dealer demo. You know that one had no issues. LOL.

andybeau likes this.
  16. Darwin1984

Darwin1984 Active Member

I love the clean and simple look. What will this be in US $$ and when it is available? I have the Planar 3 and love it.

17. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

US pricing was actually released today.

P6 -- $1595
    P6 w/ Exact -- $1995
    P6 w/ Ania -- $2195

18. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

For $2000 does it provide stress relief with happy ending? For that money, it should.

Claude Benshaul likes this.
  19. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

If you can't get stress relief with a happy ending from playing vinyl, you're using the forum incorrectly.

luckyno13, H8SLKC, andybeau and 2 others like this.
  20. Cyclone Ranger

Wow, that's more aggressive pricing from them than I thought, only a small increase for the TT, and none for the TT + Exact cart. Really thought they'd try to milk it.

Then again, Rega 'tables already cost quite a lot more in the US than in the UK. And, there's a ton of competition these days.

So you can see it as Rega wisely deciding not to push it, in terms of US pricing. This should sell very well for them. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    andybeau likes this.
  21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I've been married 21 years as of August and I've never confused my marriage with my hobbies.

22. Cyclone Ranger

You do know that there are 'tables that cost 10, 50, or even 100 times more than that, right? :eek:

At that level, the 'table should probably ask you if you have any Grey Poupon.

H8SLKC likes this.
  23. These are actually great prices for this table. The RP 6 w the exact was $1995 and if you added the Groovetracer subplatter and white belt you were close to $2300. Now all that its essentially included for just under 2K.

beowulf, Gavinyl, chacha and 4 others like this.
  24. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Exactly what I was thinking....No price increase for the P6/Exact over the RP6/Exact. I really expected a small bump at least.

25. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

It is actually a very good price considering the subplatter, belt and power supply upgrades. We'll have to see if the new aluminum subplatter matches the Groove Tracer quality, which is superb. Good stuff, so I guess now all that's left is to start discussing the new P8....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.